Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• returning to the flock

hello to every one who already knows me on the forum and hello to new members who have joined since i was last active on here. Hope im still welcome as i feel i let certain people down by dissapearing from the face of the earth with out a word.any way ive kicked the dust off my gear and got a few brews on the go a rice and raisin and a special extra strength turbo cider. its nice to see the new layout of the site and i was quite shocked to see a photo of myself on the new front page hope to get my self back on here regularly and get some more brews bubbling away
    mark
    "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Hey there Mark

Welcome back, always good to see you online, nobody feels let down matey...

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Welcome back, we missed you
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• You up for Pontefract on Monday 4th?
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• great welcomed back into the flock now whats brewing ive still got a freezer full of berries from last years venture into home brew ,ive only jusst tried any of the wines i made and guess what i never labelled any of the demis which were bulk aging in my outhouse,so all my reds are guess work but the AOM is still a bit harshbut crystal clear ,as is the council cherry which remains in bulk and untasted,alwaysremember to keep records and label your wines
            mark
            unfortunately the sangiovese was a victim of circumstances and ended up blocking the plughole in the sink
            "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Uh...now, who are you again?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Originally posted by heeby View Post
                unfortunately the sangiovese was a victim of circumstances and ended up blocking the plughole in the sink
                Bugger!

I had a couple of demis of it go a bit "funny" but degassing them thoroughly seemed to help, I had one lot that had such a bad Hydrogen Sulphide (H2SO4 ?) smell it had to be dumped, repeated treatment by stirring with coipper pipe came to nought, so it was dumped (5 gallons....sniff sniff)

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                Uh...now, who are you again?

Now stop teasing Glenvall

On the Sangiovese front I have 12 gallons bulk aging, when it's bottled you can have some. The Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon look like they are going to turn out nice, the trebbiano took 2nd Prize at the National association show this year, the Sangiovese took a 2nd at the national too, and best of show at Lincoln. At first I was dissapointed with the Sangiovese and wasn't going to get any more, but it seems to respond particularly well to aging in Oak, and only seems to come good after at least 1 1/2 years.

Clare will be giving me a lift to Ponte wine circle on Monday 4th, so you are more than welcome to a lift there and back (they have all been asking when you were coming again)
                Karl (duffbeer) David and Sue (xwinex) all go now too, would be great to see you and catch up...
                Last edited by lockwood1956; 28-05-2007, 11:04 AM.
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• so wines at home have taken over the pontefract wine circle ,how have they taken to the invasion of young blood,
                  mark
                  "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• They seem to like it
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Drinking that rice andd raisin wine you left me Mark

very nice

good boquet, very fresh on the palate with balanced acid, and a really nice long farewell.
                      I think you should stick a bottle of this in a comp

Duffbeer and I are off to Telford on the 14th July, you could either come with us, or we could take bottle entries with us for you.

I think this would do well in Table dry white.
                      well done dude

regards
                      Bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• thanks a lot bob, i tried a bottle myself the other day,and i thought it was still quite hot ,but i finished the bottle maybe im being too self critical, i might well send a few bottles down with you
                        mark
                        "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Another fledgling wine maker

Hi all

My name is Richard from Featherstone, West Yorks. I have returned to home brewed wines after a break of around 15 years and am amazed on how things have moved on! The growth of the internet means that we can get our hands on quality kits and gear at a reasonable price with only a few mouse clicks. On the downside, most of the homebrew shops in my area have gone, AKAIK the nearest one to me is in Wakefield.

I have brewed most of the Youngs kits and have had some very good wine from these kits. I have also tried some Beaverdale kits (mmmm Rioja!) also with good results.

A couple of months ago, I was in Morrisons browsing through the juice section, wondering if it was possible to brew the stuff. I bought 4 litres of Ocean Spray Cranberry & Blueberry and hey presto - 6 bottles of "Merry Berry". I thought I was breaking new ground until I checked out some of the forums (doh!) and now I am a Turbo Cider nut.

At the moment I have 1 gal of TC brewing, 1 gal Youngs Chardonnay ready to bottle and 1 gal of Ribena ready to bottle. Will get a couple of gallons of something else on later today.

Cheers
                          National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Welcome aboard Richard, there are a few of us who live quite close to you.

Check out the Pontefract wine circle listing, the next meeting is 2nd July 8.00pm you would be made more than welcome, bring a bottle

Schedule Of Events 2007 8th Jan Knockout wine judging 5th February Event = Tasting with Roy Competition = White Dry 5th March Event = German wine tasting with Rita Competition = Knockout V Doncaster (Doncaster won!) 2nd April Event = Margaret's Savouries Competition = White Sweet 1st Bob Morton 30th April

regards
                            Bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Heyup Richard, and welcome I,m from Normanton and work in Fev so not a million miles away, happy brewin
                              Discount Home Brew Supplies
                              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                              National Wine Judge
                              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                                Hi all

My name is Richard from Featherstone, West Yorks. I have returned to home brewed wines after a break of around 15 years and am amazed on how things have moved on! The growth of the internet means that we can get our hands on quality kits and gear at a reasonable price with only a few mouse clicks. On the downside, most of the homebrew shops in my area have gone, AKAIK the nearest one to me is in Wakefield.

I have brewed most of the Youngs kits and have had some very good wine from these kits. I have also tried some Beaverdale kits (mmmm Rioja!) also with good results.

A couple of months ago, I was in Morrisons browsing through the juice section, wondering if it was possible to brew the stuff. I bought 4 litres of Ocean Spray Cranberry & Blueberry and hey presto - 6 bottles of "Merry Berry". I thought I was breaking new ground until I checked out some of the forums (doh!) and now I am a Turbo Cider nut.

At the moment I have 1 gal of TC brewing, 1 gal Youngs Chardonnay ready to bottle and 1 gal of Ribena ready to bottle. Will get a couple of gallons of something else on later today.

Cheers
                                Welcome RS you will not see me near-by I am on the other side of the "POND" but still have something in common. I also started my fermentation hobby back in the early 70's then stopped because of away from residences for many weeks each month and also the kits available at that time were not very good? at least that's the way they turned out for me - mostly throw aways. I then started back up and the kits have greatly improved with the grape pack kits and all. I really enjoy making wines out of berries or fresh fruit. The many 100 % juices can also be used to make great wine.
                                There is a lot of experience and extraordinary helpful comments within this forum and all freely given. CHEERS! welcome and enjoy you stay. DAW

Comment

Working...
                                X