Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Keith

Good to see you here, as well as elsewhere

on the subject of winemaking in Germany, there are winemakers, but they tend to be farmers, there is no official shop structure, but they must be getting their supplies from somewhere.

I'll see what I can find out, in the meantime of course there is mail order from www.brouwland.com

welcome aboard

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hello Bob,

Yes, you were kind enough to point me in the direction of a few on the other forum, and I've managed to find a few myself.

I ordered a few things from Brouwland after your suggestion, and they were good, but the main problem is of course P&P, which can get rather expensive. I got most of my stuff from hop and grape, but that was before I found the online shops over here.

Any suggestions you have are, of course, most welcome!

Side note - I may have located an actual real genuine physical supply shop, but it's way over in the old East, so not particularly practical ...

Cheers,

Keith :-)

Comment

• Hiya Keith, nice to meet you.

Perhaps we could get up a Red Cross parcel and send you some stuff.
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Originally posted by curlyk View Post
          Side note - I may have located an actual real genuine physical supply shop, but it's way over in the old East, so not particularly practical ...
          Can I ask you for the details, I know someone who might find their address useful

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Welcome Keith.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Hi Keith, welcome to the pleasure dome. Hope you manage to find a more local supplier.
              National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Welcome aboard me hearty
                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Kitzingen has a place too. South of Wuerzburg. There is one in Bremen, an I believe there are some more places closer to Wuerzburg.

Are there winemaking clubs in Germany? There's also the Fruchtweinkeller online: http://www.razyboard.com/system/user...einkeller.html What about competitions for home winemakers? I've been searching but haven't found any.

Welcome aboard! Your first duty? Make some wine!

Dani
                  Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                  Twitter: VirtualWineO
                  Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

• So, what's on the go? In the cellar busy maturing there's strawberry, blackberry wine, blackberry melomel, blueberry, elderberry and bean (from CJJ Berry), Mango, Peach Melba (my own recipe, peach and raspberry - if any good, I'll post it), some sort of port, elderflower, apricot and a few kits (not very good). Bubbling away in the lab, err kitchen: more blackberry wine, a blackberry port, 2 mixed fruit melomels, peach and ginger melomel, a straight mead, an experiment in chocolate mint wine (!) and a partridge in a pear tree.

Hi Keith welcome to the forum. noted you have also some mango, peach and pear? Have you worked out the secrets yet to get these to clear? Cheers DAW

Comment

• Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome!

Mamgiowl - fantastic idea - could you include a jar of Bovril and some teabags please? Ta.

Bob - www.hbs24.de, They seem to have an actual physical shop:

HBS24
                      Bahnhofstrasse 10
                      Warmsen - Bohnhorst
                      Deutschland
                      D-31606

That's in Niedersachsen.

Danina - I'll have to check out exactly where Kitzingen is, but Würzburg isn't a million miles away. Do you have a name/address for the company? Are you in Germany too?

I do not know of any winemaking clubs or competitions. To be honest, before I met my girlfriend, whose brother makes a bit of wine, I thought I was the only one who did it. Most Germans I spoke to 15 years ago on one of my first trips here couldn't seem get their heads around the idea of non-grape wines. It seems to be a bit more common now - at least they don't recoil in horror when I mention it

That link look interesting - thanks!

DAW - Although I forgot to mention it, I do have a blackberry and pear wine in storage, the mixture taken from advice on another forum due to it being easier to clear than pure pear.

As to clearing - the blackberry and pear cleared fine, as did the mango and the peach melba. I have been hitting my wines with a mixture of pectolase and Kwik Clear (the two bottles marked A and B), and everything drops out in a day or two. I should try to exercise more patience, and let them clear on their own, but I am limited with the amount of DJs available to me for fermentation, so I'm usually quite keen to get them into storage as soon as practical (ie brightly see-through, so I know most of the cr@p's out).

The only wines that didn't respond to the above treatment cleared with either amylase or bentonite.

Cheers,

PS Does anyone else have trouble with their login constantly timing out after about 30 seconds, and always having to log in again? Is there a setting somewhere I can set to stop that?

Comment

• Paul Arauner has his own shop (in Kitzingen)

1.5 hours...
                        Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                        Twitter: VirtualWineO
                        Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

• Originally posted by curlyk View Post
                          Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome!

Mamgiowl - fantastic idea - could you include a jar of Bovril and some teabags please? Ta.

Bob - www.hbs24.de, They seem to have an actual physical shop:

HBS24
                          Bahnhofstrasse 10
                          Warmsen - Bohnhorst
                          Deutschland
                          D-31606

That's in Niedersachsen.

Danina - I'll have to check out exactly where Kitzingen is, but Würzburg isn't a million miles away. Do you have a name/address for the company? Are you in Germany too?

I do not know of any winemaking clubs or competitions. To be honest, before I met my girlfriend, whose brother makes a bit of wine, I thought I was the only one who did it. Most Germans I spoke to 15 years ago on one of my first trips here couldn't seem get their heads around the idea of non-grape wines. It seems to be a bit more common now - at least they don't recoil in horror when I mention it

That link look interesting - thanks!

DAW - Although I forgot to mention it, I do have a blackberry and pear wine in storage, the mixture taken from advice on another forum due to it being easier to clear than pure pear.

As to clearing - the blackberry and pear cleared fine, as did the mango and the peach melba. I have been hitting my wines with a mixture of pectolase and Kwik Clear (the two bottles marked A and B), and everything drops out in a day or two. I should try to exercise more patience, and let them clear on their own, but I am limited with the amount of DJs available to me for fermentation, so I'm usually quite keen to get them into storage as soon as practical (ie brightly see-through, so I know most of the cr@p's out).

The only wines that didn't respond to the above treatment cleared with either amylase or bentonite.

Cheers,

PS Does anyone else have trouble with their login constantly timing out after about 30 seconds, and always having to log in again? Is there a setting somewhere I can set to stop that?
                          Sounds very irritating. I will look into it.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Hi Keith
                            I suspect the problem may be a cookie problem, when you log in click the little box that says "remember me"
                            If you dont have that box ticked, your log in details will time out, and when you try to type something, it sees you as a guest and asks you to log in again

I think this may well be the cause of your problem, polease try it and see if it works.

Do you have cookies enabled on your machine?
                            regards
                            Bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi Bob,

Yes, I spotted that check box a couple of hours ago, so I checked it, and I still seem to be logged in, so problem sorted!

Comment

• YAY!

Result
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X