Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks so much for the warm welcome!
    I'm afraid that comment to get out while I can is too late - I'm already searching for other things to ferment, wondering if the rosehips I passed by today are pesticide-free or if the inedible plums in the back garden would be useful. Having just discovered that my next-door neighbour has two brothers who both keep bees, more mead looks to be in the cards!

Sarah

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarah View Post
      Thanks so much for the warm welcome!
      I'm afraid that comment to get out while I can is too late - I'm already searching for other things to ferment, wondering if the rosehips I passed by today are pesticide-free or if the inedible plums in the back garden would be useful. Having just discovered that my next-door neighbour has two brothers who both keep bees, more mead looks to be in the cards!

Sarah
      Mead is one of the best things to ferment for me personally, on my 4th gallon of the stuff.
      Nice to have a gallo or 3 of each goign though
      Winer Swapper Extraordinaire
      Wanna swap your wine for something exciting? follow the link:

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=2568

Comment

• Yes seriously I recommend the mead... it's so pretty to look at too...

Comment

• Thanks again everyone & Hello Sarah

Right ... I've got everything except tannin (I think)
          The fruits I have at the moment are blackcurrants, strawberries, bananas and a few apples. Plenty of raisins in the cupboard and a litre of pressed red grape juice and lots of sugar ... so maybe a mixed fruit sort of wine? What about the tannin? Can I use black tea instead ... read that somewhere, but as a COMPLETE novice I'll take your advice.
          Cheers.

Comment

• Yes black tea will work until you can get the right stuff.l
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Thanks Duffbeer Is there specific amounts per gallon?
              It's a pain having no homebrew shops round here! I have to order everything online, so may as well wait till I need more than tannin to make the postage costs worthwhile.

Oh, can I also ask ... If I use supermarket pressed grape juice, do I have to boil it to get rid of preservatives? The only thing I can see on the packaging that it's free from is nuts .... so I guess it'll have preservatives in it? Sorry for all the questions .. and if they're in the wrong place,can one of the mods please move them to the right place.
              Thanks
              Last edited by Trish; 24-08-2008, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trish View Post
                Thanks Duffbeer Is there specific amounts per gallon?
                It's a pain having no homebrew shops round here! I have to order everything online, so may as well wait till I need more than tannin to make the postage costs worthwhile.
                Something like a cup/mug/teabags worth should do the trick I'd have thought.
                Oh, can I also ask ... If I use supermarket pressed grape juice, do I have to boil it to get rid of preservatives? The only thing I can see on the packaging that it's free from is nuts .... so I guess it'll have preservatives in it? Sorry for all the questions .. and if they're in the wrong place,can one of the mods please move them to the right place.
                Thanks
                You're in Ireland Trish, so I'd have thought that the EU packaging reg's would've applied. Most of the grape juice here, says 100% grape juice and sometimes it specifies that it's either from or not from concentrate etc. If it's "long life" type juice it might have, but if you think this might be the case then you can simmer it for a while - I understand that that usually drives off enough of the preservatives to be OK.

If you searched the forums, I seem to recall (Bob/lockwood1959 I think it was) posting which ones to look out for.

regards

JtFB
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Cheers, FB, I'll simmer it for a while then
                  I haven't used the search facility yet .. still wandering round the forum at the mo, but thanks for that

Some fab tutorials on the site!

Comment

• Originally posted by Trish View Post
                    Cheers, FB, I'll simmer it for a while then
                    I haven't used the search facility yet .. still wandering round the forum at the mo, but thanks for that
                    If you find any "Welch's" grape juice, they don't have any preservatives
                    Some fab tutorials on the site!
                    I know, Bob and the other "knowledgeable ones" do a hell of a good job IMO.

regards

JtFB
                    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Hi everyone.

As this is the welcome area, please start a new topic in the winemaking or meadmaking areas, or add to an old topic. Thank you !

We may also need to move some of these winemaking posts there also. No biggie, just need to keep organized.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• newby alert

Hi all,
                        My name is alan, im from staffordshire west midlands. i brew wine for approx 9 years and had a 7 year break, i have now started brewing again, i have in the past brewed most flowers,veg,fruits,juices etc etc, i feel that i have forgot most of my experience but am egar to start over,
                        I have at the moment 1 gallon of coconut,applejuice and pinapple juice brewing (an experiment)
                        3 gallon of rice,banana and saltana and 1 gallon of ruhbarb and banana, there all bubbling away nicely at the moment.
                        I am at the moment also seeking advice on making some sake, i dont want to purchase the kits that are available as they work out quite expansive.
                        I look forward to having a good look around the site and chating to like minded folk.:champagne
                        Alan

Comment

• Welcome Alan and enjoy the forum.
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Hi and welcome Alan

pull up a chair

regards
                            Bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• welcome alan!

It's great to have you here!
                              Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                              Twitter: VirtualWineO
                              Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

• Nice to meet you Alan
                                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment