Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mel View Post
    Not sure about any pearls, I just ferment anything going . I'm bad at keeping records because what I have to hand varies each time I do it. I keep an everlasting mead going, especially like medieval small ale. Use my juicer a lot & make wine from any excess fruit/veg including pulp from jelly making etc

Not a very organized wine maker I fear
    Hi Mel and welcome is the small ale from kit or a grain recipe?
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

• Small ale was the type of ale drank as a daily drink in times past, it is very low alcohol refreshing drink, where the alcohols main purpose is to kill off unpleasantness in the water. Its `really yeasty and cloudy , I've done it from grain and concentrate recipes. I'll try & dig one out if you like ? I use the yeast once I've got it on the go, back and forth between bread and ale . The bread yeast being kept going in a sourdough type condition

Comment

• Welcome Mel, that's some well aged rice n raisin you have there, enjoy the forum
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Mel View Post
          Small ale was the type of ale drank as a daily drink in times past, it is very low alcohol refreshing drink, where the alcohols main purpose is to kill off unpleasantness in the water. Its `really yeasty and cloudy , I've done it from grain and concentrate recipes. I'll try & dig one out if you like ? I use the yeast once I've got it on the go, back and forth between bread and ale . The bread yeast being kept going in a sourdough type condition
          Please do Mel I would like to try some different brews.

Comment

• Posted in the Beer section

Comment

• Hello Mel

Comment

• Hello

Hi All,

Just joined today. We are new to winemaking we (Pam, me and boyf Scott) started in June time with a batch of strawberry followed by a late season gooseberry.

We've had our disaster

But we seem to building up speed now.

Very enthusiatic but still finding our feet

See you all on the boards!

Pam

Comment

• Hi ScoPa, welcome to the forum. Don't keep us in suspense, please tell us about the disaster.
                  National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Welcome ScoPa

yes tell us about the disaster
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Welcome Sopa yep we all love disaster stories.There better than a gossip column.

Comment

• Oh dear confession time so quickly!

We picked a few lbs of beautiful peak condition gooseberries from a local PYO.

They tasted crisp but sweet enough to make a lovely dry to medium table white.

We had already got our first ever batch (strawbs) settled into a healthy ferment.

However, when we invested in our equipment and pots of bits and bobs the HBS proprietor had unfortunately run out of campden tablets. He said using teh meta powder would be fine. He told us 1 tsp = 1 tablet.

So we dosed our plumptious green orbs with a mighty punch of meta. It was begging help on another forum (some guys here kindly helped) allowed us to learn the mistake. We had to slip the lot down the loo as we were offon holiday and a stuck ferment for 2 weeks plus was not budging.

When we were back from holiday we got a batch of late season gooseberries - fighting the maggots for them! But it tastes ok, more heavy and raisiny, like a dessert wine, dare I say a Tokay!

So I can't wait to clear my djs and start a wine properly! Just reading the tutorials here - wish we'd found them6 months ago

Pam

Comment

• Confession is good for the soul. yep that is a disaster.

Comment

• Hi,
                            Just joined and looking for a "hello"
                            Been brewing wines for a few years now. It started when my neighbour came round with a couple of buckets of grapes and said, "There you go Chris, make some wine then". Well it was rude to say "no" and the demijohns just grew from there. I counted the full ones yesterday and got to 20. Mostly elderberry and elderflower, but some cider and perry left (oh yes, I also built a cider press a couple of years back) and some dandelion too.
                            I also have some Edme lager bubbling in the bathroom as I type.
                            I'm sure I'll be making a few posts as I stumble through the brewing process and I'm sure you'll all be on hand with the answers.....please?
                            You add how much sugar.....?

Comment

• Welcome Chris, good to see your enjoying the hobby, ask away with any questions you have, that's what we're here for, oh and a little humour too
                              Discount Home Brew Supplies
                              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                              National Wine Judge
                              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• We all want to have fun for sure welcome to at the very least that..I wonder where I am going with this DOH.

Comment

Working...
                                X