VWC - June 26, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    Would be interested (as always) in everyones opinion.
    I think it's good, unfortunately due to the shifts I work, I tend to miss most of them!

Rich

Comment

Beginning to think VWC is running out of steam and perhaps has run its course. Seem to have to do a lot of chasing to get people involved, perhaps its time to let it go?
      It does seem to be a little sporadic, doesn't it?

Maybe goldseal has a point about cutting back during summer months. My own local wine club doesn't meet from June until August (except for a BBQ picnic thing). Might be worth considering. It also gives folks a little bit of a break.

For what it's worth, I'm planning to log on to the meeting on the 26th. I just can't participate in the tasting, as none of those wines are available here. Or at least not in the four shops I frequent.

On a side note, I really wish you guys had more decent American wines to choose from over there, aside from the mass market and Gallo type plonk. We make some pretty good wine here; it just seems most if the good stuff doesn't make it anywhere near the EU because of French biases and competitive trade practices (the Frogs are still holding a grudge because we beat them in several well publicized blind tastings ). In all fairness, I think American wine shops tend to give French wines the cold shoulder, too.

But I digress...

Anyway, wine or not, I will be there with bells on next Sunday.
      Steve

Comment

I would love to participate again, I learnt so much about tasting wine from the one VWC evening I attended but my problem is I now have 4 children under the age of 6, the youngest is only 7 weeks. From 6.30pm until 8.00pm is bath and bedtime and that is then followed by dinner. It is normally 9.00pm at the earliest before I have any free time.

Don't give up on it but I agree with Steve, summer time is always a busy social time for most people so maybe a break for a few months might not be a bad thing.

Rob

Comment

I was hoping to participate in this month's VWC meeting but I'm not going to be able to.

Next month I hope to join in for my first ever VWC.
          Feel the Zin

Comment

Perhaps Sunday nights are difficult for people. What about a skool night. Just a thought?
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
              Perhaps Sunday nights are difficult for people. What about a skool night. Just a thought?
              Unfortunately, school nights for you in the UK are afternoons in the office in this hemisphere. It's a little hard to do wine tastings sitting behind my desk with the boss popping his head in every 15 minutes.
              Steve

Comment

I caught the tell end of one quite few months ago,,,but i'm always out on a early sunday night otherwise i would attend,,which is a shame as i would l really like to be here..
                Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

We ran a poll (in fact more than 1) and the concensus was for sunday evening. Difficult to know how best to proceed. But firstly I need a volunteer to lead the tasting on sunday (I wont have the wine, I am in Germany and cant get it there, and am only taking hand luggage so taking some with me isnt an option)

We need more active involvement from members, or it will wither and die I'm afraid. If that means a change of time/day or indeed a rest in the summer, who knows, but that gives you the problem of kick starting it again, we had a break a while back, and it just hasn't built up a head of steam after that. This is to do with me not having the time to put to it, so if it is to go on, it needs new vigour at the helm I think. I am starting to run out of enthusiasm for having to push it to happen all the time, with little or no return. A lot of work has gone into it, and it would be a shame for it to go to the wall, but my time is limited (busy chappie) and so I need to focus on things that are fruitful.

regards
                  Bob
                  Last edited by lockwood1956; 20-06-2011, 10:12 AM.
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I plan on attending this one, have bought the Malbec already. Well I hope it's the right one anyhow.
                    I need some education in all things wine really so I hope that VWC can continue.

Comment

should be there just need to find the wine
                      http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                      http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

it is good, some months will be busy some not its just the way of things as people do other things.
                        http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                        http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

...But firstly I need a volunteer to lead the tasting on sunday.....
                          Just wondering if we have anyone to take the helm tomorrow evening?
                          Cheers, Stuart
                          Stuart

View My Current BrewTrax Stat's here
                          BrewTrax forum discount details here

Comment

I will be there (im in Germany) but dont have the wine for the tasting
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Hopefully this post should contain a snap of the bottle in question.
                              Attached Files

Comment

What time does it start? don't see a time mentioned in this thread anywhere.

I have opened my bottle already, don't want to empty it before anybody else turns up.

Comment

Working...
                                X