Apricot Rum/Port from Curt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apricot Rum/Port from Curt

Started the apricot rumport on friday last. Here's what I did so far.

APRICOT RUMPORT

8 lbs. dried apricots
    2 lbs. dried figs
    8 lbs. light brown sugar
    2 Tbsp. acid blend
    2 Tbsp. yeast nutrient
    1 Tbsp. bentonite
    1 Tbsp. pectic enzyme
    6 gallons water
    table sugar to get to S.G. of 1.120
    1 packet K1-V1116 yeast

Mix the bentonite in one gallon of warm water in a 10 gallon primary. Chop up all the fruit(I used a small food processor)and add. Add the remaining 5 gallons of warm water and then the rest of the chemicals. Add the 8 pounds of brown sugar and stir, stir, stir. Cover and set aside for a day. Make a yeast starter 8 - 12 hours before you will need it. After a day resting take the SG and adjust up with table sugar to 1.120( it took almost 5 lbs. for mine). On day 4 I added another tsp. of nutrient because it was fermenting so hard I was afraid of stressing the yeast. I can hear it hissing when I pass by the door to the spare bedroom! When it comes time to fortify it I am going to add 750 ml of Bacardi 151 proof and 750 ml of Meyer's dark Jamaican rum. It should wind up around 18.6% or so. Been punching the cap down twice a day.

Edit
    It was down to 1.010 last night so I added the rum, sweetened it up and transfered into secondaries. a 6 gallon, a 1 gallon, a 1500 ml and a coffee cup. The cup was for tasting, of course. This is like apricots on steroids with a nice "burn" in the throat 5 or 6 seconds later. The stuff I had was pretty thick as it was the very last of the primary. I hope there is some left at a year out so I can see how good it can be.

Edit
    I just don't believe this stuff! It actually started at 1.125 and I stopped it at 1.00. That should have been 16-16.5%. I have added 1.5 L of Bacardi 151 proof and a 750 of Meyer's dark that is 40% to 29 L of base. Maybe I'm not working the Pearson's square calculator right because it's still bubbling away this morning.
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 01-05-2006, 10:31 AM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker
Working...
X