Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If it's not rubbishy wine recipes it's..............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it's not rubbishy wine recipes it's..............

Bl33ding animals!

The fish phot' below is "Sebastian" we inherited him(?) along with flounder from the Nursery at Clares' school (flounder went to the great fish finger factory in the sky about 6 months ago).

If you look carefully, particularly at his tail you'll see faint white spots (only faint because of the camera flash/glass/water/fish medicine). So believe it or not, that's called (originally enough) Whitespot.

Apparently, it's a bacterial parasite, though how the hell it's got into the tank because I only use treated (de-chlorinated) tap water.

It's sometimes caused by poor water quality.

Which is equally confusing. Because having just spent the better part of 3 hours doing a 20% water change, followed by testing for just about everything I can think of i.e. Ammonia NH3/NH4 is about 0.6 mg/l, the pH is 7.5, Nitrite NO2 0.1 mg/l, Nitrate NO3 is <5 mg/l, Phosphate PO4 is 5.0 mg/l, the General Hardness is 220 (I didn't bother converting the test kit reading as there's about half a dozen different potential scales that can be used) and the Carbonate hardness is about 100 mg/l.

The only one of those numbers that isn't particularly good is the Phosphate, but that indicates either poor tank hygiene (but that's not indicated by any of the other figures) or over feeding.

I can cure it by either getting a "waste management" chemical and/or putting plants in the tank. I'll probably do both.

Secondly, the rather rubbishy photo of the cat is Tipsy. We've had her for nearly 9 years (she was second hand - one careful owner, but aged 12 on arrival).

Tipsy is 21 and although a "lap cat" very manipulative/crafty. We know that she's on her last legs, but as it transpires, still costing a bl00dy fortune to run i.e. she has 2 thyroid tablets a day @ 25p each and as Clare went round the vets yesterday morning to top them up, she ended up taking Tipsy round there for a 6 monthly check up.

We know that she's had manky teeth for a while, but on the presumption that she'd pop off before they became a problem, told the Vet on a previous visit that we weren't gonna bother.

Now it seems we're gonna have to spend between between £250 and £300 on tuesday to have the teeth removed (and having to blend her food until she does finally pop off - which I don't mind, but £300 is probably enough for an enolmatic filler/filter device).

I suppose that the only good thing will be that she won't breath "dog breath" all over us at night when she decides to climb on the bed!

Though because she'd quite old, as far as cats go, she no longer grooms - so it falls to me to mug her with the comb every other day to get the knots out of her fur - hell, I get enough knots of fur out of her in a week to knit us both jumpers (like those daft beggars that were in the paper the other week with their "dog fur" jumpers ).

So like I say, if it's not wine recipes that don't turn out as expected, it's the bleedin' animals!

TTFN!

JtFB
    Attached Files
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post

but £300 is probably enough for an enolmatic filler/filter device).
    I hear ya.. 2 greyhounds here, both with less than half their teeth for over 2 years and both have bad breath again, despite having their teeth/gums brushed daily. Been told allsorts, like feed them on solid food.. They have been for the last 6 years. They are both now over 10. But, if you swallow the food whole, it doesn't clean the teeth!!

ho hum.. animals.. sent to try us!! Both very loving.. and not too put out at not being the centre of attention at the mo!!

Good luck with the fish and cat!

Rich

Comment

We are down to one dog. Nikki's brother, Rocky, ran off on thursday. maybe he can chew everything in someone else's yard now. They are half yellow Lab, 1/4 Rottweiler, 1/4 Great Dane. Very huge and very ugly dogs !!! They eat way more than they are worth. Then again, so do I !!!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
        Tipsy is 21...
        Wow.. that is really old for a cat. Most cats we've had are lucky to make it to 15. I'd say she's had a long happy life at 21.

As for the fish... well, I don't keep fish anymore for the simple reason that I could never keep them alive longer than a few months.

Good luck!

Steve
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
          Wow.. that is really old for a cat. Most cats we've had are lucky to make it to 15. I'd say she's had a long happy life at 21.
          Well she is the last of a batch of 4 second hand cat's we got when we first moved in here - 3 where siblings (brother and 2 sisters) and a ginger tom that had been with them since he was 6 weeks/they were 6 months. The first one went at about 17 (the small female), the second, the brother went at 19, the ginger one at 20 and Tipsy is the last of that batch - we have 2 younger ones that are about 3 - all of them have been rescue/rehoming cats.
          As for the fish... well, I don't keep fish anymore for the simple reason that I could never keep them alive longer than a few months.

Good luck!

Steve
          The fish we've actually bought haven't lasted more than a couple of years. Clare actually bought the one in the picture for the nursery - but we inherited that one and the one that died about 6 months ago - when first bought they were about 1 inch long, so in about 7 and a half years to get to about 8 inches from nose to tail fin isn't bad - though in theory, it could grow to about 18 inches long and last for 15 to 20 years - apparently.

Fortunately fish don't cost a fraction to keep compared to the cats (half the weekly shopping seems to be bl00dy cat food and litter)! I mean, it's not as if you can train a cat to do much in the way of tricks is it !

Ah well, we'll see tomorrow evening - if she makes it back from the vets (so far, 2 of our cats have gone to the vet hospital and not made in back alive - the little grave markers that Clare insists on are £40 a go - white marble with black lettering).

regards

JtFB
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Just for info, the pic below is what you end up with after laying out £311 for a "dental" and extra thyroid test on a 21 year old cat!

She's straggly anyway, as she is hyperthyroid - though it seems that "they" might have to up the dose.

The shaved area on the neck was for fluid input during the op to remove nearly all the teeth (only 3 canines left now), the shaved areas on both legs were for anaesthetic's i.e. they "did" one leg, but before they could put her out for the op, she managed to remove the drip on her own (she's a cantankerous old beggar). So "they" had to do it again in the other leg (we're currently referring to her as "baldylegsfurryar5se the first").

The only really good thing is that with the removal of the manky choppers, she now doesn't have really bad "dog breath".

Plus as the vet suggested at the initial consultation, she really does seem to have improved - mood, condition, appetite, etc etc. So I suppose it was money well spent (though not as good as if it'd been spent on a decent electric wine filter ).

Oh and if I remember, I'll take a pic of our "pets graveyard" at the end of the garden

regards

JtFB
            Attached Files

Some blog ramblings

Comment

She doesn't seem too impressed with the vetinary treatment John
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                She doesn't seem too impressed with the vetinary treatment John
                It's more of a case of not liking the transit i.e. cage/pet carrier.

we've just been round the vets and the tablets have been (ha! small victory on my part - Clare only took the cat for a review originally - and get another batch of the tablets - the vet wanted to sell us some 5mg ones, so I "happened" to ask whether we could just give her 2 of the original ones instead, waste and all that. "Ah! yes, erm that should be fine. I was thinking that lots of pets don't like taking too many tablets" - yeah, right!. Curiously, this time the check/follow up consultation has been FOC, funny that eh ?).

In truth Bob, this cat isn't a problem (apart from the costs), it's the younger ones that I'm dreading having to take round there - we have to peel them off the curtains and that's just for their annual jabs!

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                X