Lovin the weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovin the weather

Well it's been a great week for the weather and I had the week off work...yipee.
    Decided to spend time gardening and very enjoyable it's been too.
    I took over this plot last year, it was badly overgrown and had been neglected for the last ten years. I got a small crop last year but this year looks more promising.

PIC02435.JPG

The left side of the garden is dedicated to fruit, last March I planted two cherry, two plum and a damson tree, two gooseberry bushes, redcurrant and blackcurrant bushes, and a full patch of strawberries. All of which are showing signs of fruit at the moment, their is also three huge well established rhubarb crowns which yeald a massive stock of rhubarb.

PIC02434.JPG

To the right is my vegetable plots, I built raised beds earlier this year to increase the soil depth and improve drainage should we get an over average rain fall like last year it shouldn't effect the plants. I also find them easier to manage, no need to stand on the soil and compressing it.
    So far things are showing signs of a good healthy crop. Planted so far are leeks, peas, carrots, "PARSNIPS" and for wine making only I'm growing pumpkins. I have also planted onions, shallots, cabbage, couliflower, broccoli, potatoes, sweet corn, French beans and the usual salad stuff. In the green house are cherry tomato's, moneymaker tomato's and a few chilli and pepper verieties.

PIC02436.JPG

The above is my grape vines which are bursting with life, I have 17 vines in all, 5 Regent, 5 Vitis, 5 Solaris, 1 Rondo and 1 Rietchenstiener. I dont expect anything this year as it's only their second year, but fingers crossed should be bearing grapes next year.

As a well known member of this site would say...woop de doop life is good
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Looks good, Duff.

Nice weather here too and am doing a bit of gardening myself today. Just went and picked up a chokeberry (aka aronia) bush. Jack Keller says you can make a nice wine out of it that will blend well with other berries. (Is there anything Jack hasn't made wine out of?)

I also bought lavender, basil, oregano, orange mint, chive, and sage for the herb garden, and last week, planted a montmorency cherry tree.
    Steve

Comment

Week of work duff mmmm you be carefull don't you be overdoing it.The allotment is looking good

Comment

Look at this cheeky monkey in my garden and can anyone tell me what this monster looking plant is?
        Attached Files
        Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

Comment

Your plot is looking good there Duff. Just trying to get on top of ours!

Comment

[QUOTE=Cariad66;34118]Look at this cheeky monkey in my garden and can anyone tell me what this monster looking plant is?[/QUOTE]

I think it's a Solomon's Seal
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I think you are right, I know it as Solomans seal. by the way thats a squirrel !!?? not a monkey!!
              Getting better with age just like wine

Comment

Well it's nice when all the hard work pay's off, picked this little haul and there's more to come.

veg.JPG
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Interesting wine ingrediants.
                  National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Well, apart from the lettuce and garlic you could ferment the rest, but I think apart from the strawberry's and gooseberry's the rest will be eaten...yum
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

You may wish to hang on to the Gooseberries till after Colins talk on monday
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

All in the freezer awaiting Mr Tweeds talk
                        National Wine Judge
                        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

not long now karl.

Comment

Working...
                          X