Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's yer favourite pud/duff/sweet course ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's yer favourite pud/duff/sweet course ?

Yesterday afternoon, I was listening to Radio 2 and Steve Wright had Ken Dodd on as a guest.

He was explaining about some up and coming gig at the Paladium.

The subject of "the diddy men" came up, to which K.D. replied that "Dicky Mint" the foreman of the Knotty Ash "Jam butty mines" would be attending the gig as well (for those who've never heard of Ken Dodd, the diddy men and KD's other nonsense, you'll have to just stick with me).

This was the point that immediately got me thinking of one of my favourite puds of all time....Fried jam sandwich, lightly dusted with caster sugar and served with custard.

Unfortunately we didn't have the "custard makings" so I had to have one (the fried jam butty) served with "extra thick" double cream that had been hanging around in the fridge for a couple of days..

Absolutely "harry scrummers"

What's yours ?

regards

JtFB

p.s. this shouldn't be limited to "British" type puds i.e. spotted dick, jam rolly, etc etc.

In fact I'd be pleased to learn what the non-UK members might have as a pud/sweet course - especially if you have the recipe so I can give it a try
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

for me ,its got to be banana fritter..

banana fried in batter and served smothered in golden syrup with maybe a scoop or two of ice cream on top.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    Cos a glow worm's never glum
    It's hard to be unhappy
    When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
      for me ,its got to be banana fritter..

banana fried in batter and served smothered in golden syrup with maybe a scoop or two of ice cream on top.
      I think, from memory, that I've tried banana fritter, but the clearest memory of that sort of stuff was the chip shop selling pineapple fritters, lightly dusted with caster sugar. Now that was

With ice cream, or double cream I'd think it'd be even better.

regards

JtFB
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Two from my favourite local restaurant:

Creme Brulee
        Bread and Butter Pudding

Does the former count as a pudding, or is it merely a 'sweet' ?
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

My favorite dessert is dark chocolate cake with dark chocolate icing and a big cold glass of skim milk.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Today.... I would have to choose cheesecake for a cold choice.... and rhubarb crumble for a hot choice.

Tomorrow, is a whole different day of choices

Does anyone remember having chocolate or strawberry flavoured custard with sponge cake for a school dinner pudding ??
            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Not much of a sweet eater myself. My favorite dessert is a chunk of "Humboldt Fog" goat cheese with fruit.
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
                -----%<-----
                Does anyone remember having chocolate or strawberry flavoured custard with sponge cake for a school dinner pudding ??
                Yes, but the pink custard stuff was so bland, whereas the choccy custard was excellent.
                Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                Not much of a sweet eater myself. My favorite dessert is a chunk of "Humboldt Fog" goat cheese with fruit.
                Dunno whether it's 'cos I'm on the south coast (not far from France), part of my working life was agriculture or because I'm a greedy git, but I'm also fond of cheese. Mainly the stronger flavoured ones i.e. Stilton, just about anything "mouldy" from France, various Italian hard cheeses (Parmesan, Peccorino etc), there's some good Spanish ones too.

To my knowledge there's no market for American cheeses so I'm gonna have to google "Humboldt fog". Goat cheeses that I've enjoyed have usually been served with a small side of a fruit compot/coullis and crackers/biscuits (european type biscuits - not the muffin type ones).

regards

JtFB

p.s. Oh and I forgot to mention one of my "fave" cheeses - Epoisse. Stinks to "high heaven" but tastes like nectar

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                  To my knowledge there's no market for American cheeses...
                  Understandable. Much of the world thinks we're only about McDonald's and watery lagers.

Just like everywhere else, there are many small farmstead producers in the US that create some excellent cheeses. Unfortunately, most of them are so small they can't compete globally, and most of the truly good products never leave our borders.

Fruit compote... mmmmm.
                  Steve

Comment

Mine is death by chocolate
                    Getting better with age just like wine

Comment

Yes... I too am quite partial to an oatcake and a bit of roquefort, jarlsberg, or any cheese really
                      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Spotted dick, or bread and butter pudding for me (with custard of course)

closely followed by christmas pudding...(fermented or not)
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Warm apple tart and cold cream cream.
                          Sticky toffe pudding cream or custard.

Comment

Ice cream with Clotted cream ( lots of it )
                            Getting better with age just like wine

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                              Spotted dick, or bread and butter pudding for me (with custard of course)

-----%<-----
                              The B'nB pud definitely, but when we were kids, me mum used to always make the spotty dick as a steam pud, but then it was served with butter and sugar - rather than custard. Custards great if it's a sponge/baked spotty dick.
                              Originally posted by lyntom54 View Post
                              Ice cream with Clotted cream ( lots of it )
                              Cor, yeah! not just the thickness of the clotted cream, but you get little icebergs of it as the ice cream solidifys it even further.

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                              X