• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    Im not terribly cosmopolitan when it comes to food,
    Join the club...

Oh and Fatbloke.. I disagree.
    Mouth and tongue plus eyes and nose are for eating as far as I'm concerned.
    If I can't recognise it, or it smells iffy, it dont get anywhere near my mouth and tongue.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    Cos a glow worm's never glum
    It's hard to be unhappy
    When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

I think for me its mainly because cosmopolitan food just wasn't available when I was a nipper (we was poor i tell you!)

and I'm afraid im one of the "if i dont like the look of it....i'm not eating it brigade"

my kids however are much more cosmoipolitan than i, as they have been exposed to foods from around the world.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I don't know about 'cosmopolitan' foods, some traditional British foods make my stomach curl. As well as tripe and black pudding I couldn't eat rabbit or any chicken or other animal I have known. I too could be a vegetarian if it wasn't for bacon sarnies, but there you go, I suppose I'm as hypocritical as the rest of the carnivores.

I agree with Zeb that you do eat with your eyes but also I think as one grows older the taste buds change. When I was a kid I used to love sugar sandwiches. Can you believe that!? My teeth are cringeing at the mere thought now.

I hated cheese and mushrooms, loved hot curries, and wasn't too keen on fish, but now a complete reversal has taken place, so perhaps I've grown up at last?
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I took the plunge into the veggie world 3 years ago, and I can honestly say that I don't miss bacon sarnies, and I really thought that it would be them that brought me back to the meat eating world. Bizarrely it's roast chicken that gets me going, and I have to really struggle not to have a sneaky snack on the lovely crispy skin when I cook one for my OH.

The reason I stopped eating meat? well, it was mostly down to having to change my diet for health reasons, and I just thought sod it, I'm having drastic changes anyway, I'll give up meat as well. I've never really enjoyed eating meat, (especially red meat) although I have no problem whatsoever with killing it, preparing it and cooking it.

I do however eat fish on occasion, which makes feeding me a bit easier, but come January, I'm giving up wheat to see if that helps with the ongoing health problems, which will make feeding me a real pain - especially as I don't do cows milk either!

I wasn't brought up in a cosmopolitan household at all, and I remember as a young child planning to run away every saturday as the smell of over cooked liver and onions wafted out of our kitchen, and my stomach churning at the though tof having to eat it. (I can feel my face screwing up at the memory as I type ) When I told my Mum I'd given up on meat, she laughed and said she was surprised I hadn't stopped sooner as I'd never seemed to like meat as a child... which begs the question, why was I forced to eat it, and why did I spend many a lonely mealtime with a plate in front of me for hours on end after being told I could stay there until it was gone??????
          Once I left home I tried loads of different foods (mainly veg!), and I love Chinese, Thai, Mexican, Japanese, Greek, Indian etc etc and will try most non-meaty things at least once.

It's bliss living inthe country now coz we have our own veggie garden and I grow all my own herbs etc too... quite a change from my previous life in London!

anyway, over and out, I'm off to sample the contents my Rumpot.
          HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
            Once I left home I tried loads of different foods (mainly veg!), and I love Chinese, Thai, Mexican, Japanese, Greek, Indian etc etc and will try most non-meaty things at least once.
            I'm not sure I know what cosmopolitan food is, but this sounds a lot like me. I grew up in a meat and potatoes household, but don't eat much of that anymore (though I haven't completely given it up). I love "ethnic" food these days.

If someone had told me 10 years ago I would someday crave raw fish and coconut curries, I wouldn't have believed them.
            Steve

Comment

As I see it, the problem of being a vegan is, what do you give up for Lent?
              Hootus est

Comment

Originally posted by grandmawoods View Post
                As I see it, the problem of being a vegan is, what do you give up for Lent?
                sex
                HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

sex
                  I pass
                  Hootus est

Comment

sex
                    OH my never! I am a man.
                    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Working...