Chlorine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chlorine?

Is anyone here in Yorkshire (or anywhere elose for that matter) noticed a big increase in the Chlorine in their water supply?

could be my imagination.....but I don't think so

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

It's probably been done to stop you all getting swine fever
    HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
      It's probably been done to stop you all getting swine fever
      Ah, well, I sneezed twice and coughed a bit this morning so I must have "it".......

I was last in Mexico in 1996, could that be the incubation period ???

regards

JtFB
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        Is anyone here in Yorkshire (or anywhere elose for that matter) noticed a big increase in the Chlorine in their water supply?
        Yeah I've noticed the chlorine smell in the water here a couple of times lately. Think it might be related??

Steve
        the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
        "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Local municipalities will do a regular heavy cleaning dose of chlorine to remove bacterial buildups that can be happening. These are usually done during weekends while the industrial use of water is reduced and the domestic use is increased.

You can generally contact your water board to see when they will be doing it.

Comment

Funny enough I was wondering about this the other day but am yet to try it.I used to have a large fish tank and for the water to be used for topping up had to leave it 24hrs before using.The chlorine used to bubble out.

I was wondering if leaving say a Dj of water for 24hrs before using it in wine making and allowing the chlorine to gas off would produce a faster initial ferment from the start as surely the chlorine must stun the yeast.?

Comment

There is another thread about Chlorine in the water and home brew.

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=3172

Down here in Kent, the water is very hard, we have a kettle filter as well as a jug filter, these help to remove the Chlorine as well as other compounds but you might be able to get the same results by leaving the water standing for about 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post

could be my imagination.....but I don't think so

regards
                Bob
                Yup, been noticing it for a few weeks now, rather distinctive and unpleasant too.
                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Actually, there's a real quick and easy way to get rid of chlorine in municipal water: just add a small amount of ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

Ascorbic acid neutralizes chlorine when added in a ratio of 2.5:1. For example, let's say that your city water report shows a maximum level of 6 ppm of chlorine. You simply add 15 ppm (15 mg/L or 70 mg/gal) of ascorbic acid to neutralize it. Best thing of all is that it works immediately.

I use this method myself to eliminate the chlorine in water used for hydrating or rinsing my barrels (because nasty TCA can be triggered by chlorine).

In lieu of that, sodium or potassium metabisulphite also does the job. In fact, sodium metabisulphite binds with chlorine to form NaCl... common table salt.
                  Steve

Comment

I test concrete samples for chloride ion contamination at work. We use tap water to mix the acid we use for the extraction and run a blank through the chloride meter to correct for the chlorine in the water. The chloride content in the water (North West) seems to vary from 10ug/l to 60ug/l and is usually around 30ug/l (minus a very small amount in the concentrated HNO3)

Comment

How would I test if I hard water?

Comment

try punching it, but duck in case it gives you a puch back...
                        HRH Her Lushness

Comment

I'll show it how to Square Dance lol

Comment

Wouldn't tap dancing be more appropriate?!
                            HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
                              Wouldn't tap dancing be more appropriate?!
                              Oh!........you're good

Comment

Working...
                              X