Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well I suppose it had to happen sometime.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I suppose it had to happen sometime.......

We've just been out to do the watering in the garden and found that it's time to pick the gooseberries and start picking the raspberries, and yes, there might be enough rasp's for a gallon of wine, but as there's only about 750 grammes of gooseberries we'll have to...................

Eat fermentables!
    Yes I know, if I do manage to get to grapefest, it'll be "sackcloth and ashes" time........

Plus there's only gonna be enough blackcurrants for a very small pie....

Over all I suppose that's not bad, seeing as we only put the fruit bushes in early last year......

It just reminds me that we'll have to go and hit the PYO this weekend before all the retired crusties pillage it during the weekdays while I'm working!

Hey ho!

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Are there more to ripen or is that the whole crop? If there are more following on (like my raspberries do) then you could freeze this first lot.

* Note to self - check recipes for raspberry wine - got a huge crop forming
    www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
      eat fermentables!

eek!
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Oops, have I revealed myself as a gardener
        www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Hmmm picked some of my gooseberries today, but left some behind, although some are going pink/red many just seemed too young, small and green.
          Decided to leave them another week or so.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post

Eat fermentables!

I think you should go and stand in the corner and wait for me to come and horsewhip you....

(but HRH can only find her cat o' nine tails...)
            HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

now that's an offer nobody can refuse ... especially with gooseberries!
              “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
              Groucho Marx

Comment

(and cream)
                HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

That was pretty much all of the gooseberries - 2 bushes close together, but different types, one bush the fruit seems to go mouldy for no apparent reason (note to self, must look up diseases/fungal problems in gooseberries) whereas the other bush, the fruit don't get very big but that was the lot (a couple of other GB bushes need moving to better places as they haven't done anything this year).

The raspberries are going mad, that was the first visit to them. I should get enough for a gallon of wine and for Clare to do some jam, at least a couple of jars

The black currants have had their first year in and a couple of them have fruited but I'm waiting for the plants to get larger before I can really expect much off them....

Hey ho!

regards

JtFB

p.s. I just hope I manage to get down to the PYO before the pensioner crusties pillage it for a decent amount of black currants......
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                  X