Steam extracted juice......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam extracted juice......

Well, we went to the local PYO yesterday and I managed to pick about 2.7 kg of black currants.

So I've put them through my steam extractor and have 1 normal sized kilner jar and 3 x 1lb honey jars of the juice. They're in the fridge at the moment.

Plus, all the extra bits of left over soft fruit (left over after the weekly shop from the previous week - cleaned and trimmed then frozen) from the freezer (about 4kg of it) that has also been put through the steam extractor (it tastes mainly of strawberries). There's just under 4litres and it's in a DJ.

So do I need to sulphite it or not ???

Also, if I'm gonna incorporate it into a batch of "mixed fruit melomel", what's best, into the must for primary (and loose, probably, a fair amount of the fruit flavour) or make a batch of traditional mead and when it gets down to about the 1020 or 1010 mark add the fruit juice ???

regards

JtFB
    Last edited by fatbloke; 21-06-2009, 10:27 PM.
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Bump........

sorry for that, but I don't know how to incorporate the juice into a mixed fruit melomel, without loosing too much of the fruit flavour (given it's mixed provenance.....

Hope the mods don't mind the bump......

Cheers

JtFB

p.s. and to use a shakespearian analogy, sulphite or not to sulphite ? that is the question.....
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

hmmmm

melomels are normally better sweetened, so id probably ferment to dry...stabilise, and then sweeten with the juice, should then be nice.....and you wont lose any blackcurrant flavour

(ferment a batch of show mead to dry from about 1.095, then sweeten to 1.010 with the steamed juice, then fine and filter and bottle.....should be good i think)
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 23-06-2009, 09:46 PM.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        hmmmm

melomels are normally better sweetened, so id probably ferment to dry...stabilise, and then sweeten with the juice, should then be nice.....and you wont lose any blackcurrant flavour

(ferment a batch of show mead to dry from about 1.095, then sweeten to 1.010 with the steamed juice, then fine and filter and bottle.....should be good i think)
        Outstanding, Cheers Bob.

I've got both blackcurrant and mixed fruit juice - the BC is in the fridge so I'm not worried about that for the moment, but the mixed fruit tallied up to about 4kg or so and gave me about 4 litres of juice (and the DJ doesn't fit in the fridge), so I'm thinking I'll follow your suggestion, almost to the tee, but I'll probably make the starting must with about a litre of it, then add the rest to back sweeten.

Oh, and while it's hanging around, should I be sulphiting it, or is it enough for the cook/pasteurising temp of the extractor and the sanitising of the DJ ???

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

If I was you, I think I'd feel happier sulphiting it - especially as you're planning on adding it to already fermented out mead, as it would stop any unwanted beasties fermenting spontaneously, and prevention is better than cure.
          HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

How much does a decent steam juice extractor go for??

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
              If I was you, I think I'd feel happier sulphiting it - especially as you're planning on adding it to already fermented out mead, as it would stop any unwanted beasties fermenting spontaneously, and prevention is better than cure.
              Better safe then sorry

Comment

I've just realised, you're doing a slightly different method to a melomel I'm doing too.

I added the equivalent of 2 lbs of blackcurrants (steam juiced) at SG 1010 and am fermenting it out. I racked it all off today as there was a lot of lees, and it's looking and smelling good so far.

Out of the 5 gallons of must, I've got 2 blackcurrant, 1 strawberry and 2 straight meads going.

I'd be very interested to taste your melomel when it's done to compare methods. I can feel a bottle swap coming on... what d'ya think?
                HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Originally posted by Tuco View Post
                  How much does a decent steam juice extractor go for??
                  I've seen them on Ebay for about £70; you've missed out on the ones that Lakeland sold, they got rid of their stock in a sale at Xmas which was when I got mine for about £45

Set up a search on Ebay for "steam Juicer" and you should get something come up. Failing that keep your eyes peeled on Freecycle and places like Aldi, or ask Bob

Having said that, you could possibly do a DIY one if you're that way inclined?
                  HRH Her Lushness

Comment

I've seen them on Ebay for about £70; you've missed out on the ones that Lakeland sold, they got rid of their stock in a sale at Xmas which was when I got mine for about £45

Set up a search on Ebay for "steam Juicer" and you should get something come up. Failing that keep your eyes peeled on Freecycle and places like Aldi, or ask Bob

Having said that, you could possibly do a DIY one if you're that way inclined?
                    I dunno about that lol

So you can't pick these things up in stores that sell regular blenders, juicers etc? I'll have to have a look next time I'm out and about

Comment

I dunno about that lol

So you can't pick these things up in stores that sell regular blenders, juicers etc? I'll have to have a look next time I'm out and about
                      They don't seem to be very popular, which is probably why Lakeland discontinued them. Why not try emailing or calling Lakeland and see if they can tell you where to get one? I wouldn't be without mine now; it's taken a great strain off the freezers for storing fruit as I can now steam juice it all instead, and keep the freezers for Mr Lush's dinners
                      HRH Her Lushness

Comment

They don't seem to be very popular, which is probably why Lakeland discontinued them. Why not try emailing or calling Lakeland and see if they can tell you where to get one? I wouldn't be without mine now; it's taken a great strain off the freezers for storing fruit as I can now steam juice it all instead, and keep the freezers for Mr Lush's dinners
                        I'll try emailing them thanks.

How are they to use? does it take away all the hassle of crushing and mashing fruit to get the juice?

Comment

I'll try emailing them thanks.

How are they to use? does it take away all the hassle of crushing and mashing fruit to get the juice?
                          OH YES INDEEDY! I wouldn't be without mine now!

You put the fruit into the steamer tray, boil up your water and put the lid on. Put it onto a fast simmer, sit back and wait for the juice to flow, have some dinner and a few beers, remove the juice, store it and throw away the de-juiced fruit.

No mess, no fuss, no irate OH for messing up the kitchen.

Take a look at this for some ideas: LINKY
                          HRH Her Lushness

Comment

OH YES INDEEDY! I wouldn't be without mine now!

You put the fruit into the steamer tray, boil up your water and put the lid on. Put it onto a fast simmer, sit back and wait for the juice to flow, have some dinner and a few beers, remove the juice, store it and throw away the de-juiced fruit.

No mess, no fuss, no irate OH for messing up the kitchen.

Take a look at this for some ideas: LINKY
                            That's it, I'm sold, I have to get me one of these

I've also just bought some kilner jars which I could use to keep the juice in
                            Last edited by Tuco; 25-06-2009, 02:32 AM.

Comment

I asked about steam juicing a while back and got no response (or forgot what thread it was in)

Do you do anything to the juice afterwards or just ferment as it is? I am going to have a huge crop of raspberries this year and am thinking about trying a gallon of raspberry wine - suggestions and advice welcomed.
                              www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X