No announcement yet.

Locating a specific yeast or similar ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating a specific yeast or similar ?

Ok, so I managed to get hold of a copy of Brother Adams book about bee-keeping (which has a chapter about mead making) and Pamela Spences book "mad about mead".

Both mention making mead using "maury" yeast (PS's book also says about using vierka yeast ???)

So it would appear that the "maury" thing is to do with wines wines of the same name from the Rousillon area (or sometimes alluded to as Rousillon-Langadoc).

How would I go about working out exactly which yeast is being referred to or the closest possible equivalent ?

I did find Jack Kellers yeast type listing which mentions Vierka yeast, but that appears to be a type, rather than a specific yeast and I don't know how to go about identifying which vierka yeast I'd use for meads.....

If anyones got any ideas, suggestions or other guidance about this then that would be excellent...

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

The only thing I can suggest John, and you probably have done it, is google to see what comes up.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
      The only thing I can suggest John, and you probably have done it, is google to see what comes up.
      Yeah, tried that Karl but am left buried in irrelevant links/search results, plus I tried some of the links from Jack Kellers yeast strains page and most of the ones that look promising are dead ends!

It seems that "maury" yeast might be similar to what would be used for "malaga" or madeira - but I can't suss what might be used with those either (at the moment).

regards

JtFB
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

John,

Are you sure the authors aren't referring to "Mauri Yeast" with an "i"? Mauri is an Australian company that manufactures wine and brewing yeast, and not a specific yeast itself. They're like Lallemand, but are big in the southern hemisphere. They are also a subsidiary of Associated British Foods, so perhaps that's where the European connection lies.

They have a number of different strains available, so I'm not sure which one the authors of your book would be referring to.

Maybe a visit to their website will help:
        Steve

Comment

From "gotmead"

gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=817&Item id=40

the relevant secton reads:
          Yeast strain selection was examined, but on a limited basis using the strains available through the University of Cornell collection, with the exception of a Maury yeast from England. Yeast 618, Steinberg, was a consistent rapid fermenter, yielding meads with good flavor and above average stability during storage. The Maury yeast, recommended in the British literature on mead and beekeeping, was a rapid fermenter but had problems with haze and clearing. Yeast 605 performed well, almost as well as yeast 618, while yeast 223, having a good reputation for wine production, was less satisfactory in mead fermentations, yielding less alcohol content than yeast 618.
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

hmmmmm

cannot find suppliers of it though....plargh!
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
              John,
              Are you sure the authors aren't referring to "Mauri Yeast" with an "i"?
              -----%<-----
              No Steve, I suspect that Brother Adam has been dead for some time, his comments on the "Maury" yeast, date from at least 1974, probably considerably earlier.

I'm wondering if it's not a case that it's dead to us, except in the archive laboratory of one of the big producers, well as a commercial entity anyway.

As far as I can find out, it seems to be a local isolate from the Maury area of Rousillon in the Languedoc. It may also be similar to some of the yeasts that are used to make madeira as well - though I can't find the names/nomenclature for those either......

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                From "gotmead"

gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=817&Item id=40

the relevant secton reads:
                Yeast strain selection was examined, but on a limited basis using the strains available through the University of Cornell collection, with the exception of a Maury yeast from England. Yeast 618, Steinberg, was a consistent rapid fermenter, yielding meads with good flavor and above average stability during storage. The Maury yeast, recommended in the British literature on mead and beekeeping, was a rapid fermenter but had problems with haze and clearing. Yeast 605 performed well, almost as well as yeast 618, while yeast 223, having a good reputation for wine production, was less satisfactory in mead fermentations, yielding less alcohol content than yeast 618.
                Thanks for spotting that Bob, I didn't see that one - though I might have been looking at the wrong search strings........ or it was just buried among all the irrelevant links I've been digging through today.....

Also, it seems that various organisations call the yeasts by different names and terminology (having good geographical knowledge helps.....) and trying to find out exactly what it might be has been a complete bind.

Just looking through my copy of Ken Schramms book and it seems that Redstar, White Labs and Wyeast do a Steinberg yeast though whether it's the same strain (number, latin name, type etc) will take a bit of digging - but it's a start.....

I think, though I can't check as I can't find "it" at the moment, but seem to recall CJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ mentioning it in "First Steps". I'll have to look it out and see....

Again, TVM for finding that link, if I can track any down I'll be giving it a try.

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Coincidentally, this same question was posted over at WinePress. The poster contacted Lallemand and here is the answer that he received from their customer service:
                  When asked which of their yeast might be a Maury yeast with high alcohol tolerance and low nutrient requirements, the answer was D21. A good yeast for meads (and high temperatures) it was isolated from the Languedoc region which borders the Northern edge of the Roussillon region where the Maury AOC is located. Certainly a very plausible choice.
                  Steve

Comment

Coincidentally, this same question was posted over at WinePress. The poster contacted Lallemand and here is the answer that he received from their customer service:
                    When asked which of their yeast might be a Maury yeast with high alcohol tolerance and low nutrient requirements, the answer was D21. A good yeast for meads (and high temperatures) it was isolated from the Languedoc region which borders the Northern edge of the Roussillon region where the Maury AOC is located. Certainly a very plausible choice.
                    Thanks for that Steve,

I'm off to look up D21 then to see what they say about that.....

Again, TVM for the quote.

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Well I've found 1 supplier for D21 but they want to charge for premium shipping by default (UPS at about 66$ so they won't be selling me any...)

Still, I can keep looking

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

John, did you check here?

According to their website, they ship internationally using standard US post airmail.
                        Last edited by NorthernWiner; 27-06-2009, 02:57 AM.
                        Steve

Comment

John:

Check this site. Go to Catalogue and then Yeasts. 5g package $1Cdn
                          Vines to Vintages offers a one-of-a-kind retail experience for all your commercial winemaking needs. With our knowledgeable team and three locations across Canada, we are happy to help provide you with a selection of industry leading winemaking equipment and supplies for your winery or cidery.

If they don't ship, then I can probably pick up and mail to you.

Steve
                          the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
                          "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

John, did you check here?

According to their website, they ship internationally using standard US post airmail.
                            Yes I did Steve, it was their site that seems to default to the amazingly high UPS price - maybe it's something to do with IP detection of being outside the US.

It's quite annoying as they're one of the few sites that seem to list a small pack of D21 (and a few other of the rarer Lalvin yeasts).....

I was going to ask a friend in Oaklahoma if he might buy me a few packs and send them by letter post or something (he's usually got a few good ideas....).

But I'm gonna check Steve/cpfan's suggestion of the place in Canada first (as I don't like causing anyone any inconvenience....).

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by cpfan View Post
                              John:

Check this site. Go to Catalogue and then Yeasts. 5g package $1Cdn
                              Vines to Vintages offers a one-of-a-kind retail experience for all your commercial winemaking needs. With our knowledgeable team and three locations across Canada, we are happy to help provide you with a selection of industry leading winemaking equipment and supplies for your winery or cidery.

If they don't ship, then I can probably pick up and mail to you.

Steve
                              I've just emailed them to ask about shipping/postage i.e. how many 5g packs they might be able to get into an envelope and post by normal letter mail Steve, but I also asked them about international weights upto about 1lb in weight for nutrients etc (DAP, GoFerm, FermaidK and the like).

Thanks for your kind offer. It's much appreciated, especially as they seem to also do smaller packs of some of the rarer yeasts etc. If they say they won't post internationally, if you don't mind I'll send you a PM to ask about the practicability of you picking them up and forwarding etc.

Regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                              X