BBQ Recipes Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ Recipes Thread

Hey, I said to grandmawoods in another thread that I'd share a recipe for some chicken I bbq'd, and thought instead of replying on that thread, why not make a BBQ recipe thread where we can all share recipes with each other, I'm always after new recipes, because I'm a beginner to bbq'ing

This is the recipe for the rub I use for my chicken legs.... I make a batch this size and keep it in a air tight jar, it makes more than is needed..

•1/2 cup dark brown sugar
    •1/2 cup sweet paprika
    •1/4 cup kosher salt
    •1/4 cup chili powder
    •1/4 cup dry mustard
    •1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
    •2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
    •1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Then I used this recipe I got from http://www.bbqpitboys.com/

Wash and dry the chicken legs. Now coat the legs in oil and your favorite chicken rub. Then sear the chicken for a minute or two each side over the hot coals Move the legs to indirect heating (opposite the coals). Cover in a 250-300f grill for about 45-60 minutes, depending on how big your legs are. Add some hardwood for an additional smoke flavor. Remove when the chicken reaches 165f internal. Grilling time will vary, depending on how hot your grill is. Serve with your favorite hot or mild barbeque sauce.

Apologies for lack of pictures, my cameras batteries died, I'll get some next time

I look forward to reading some of your recipes

Been watching some of the BBQ prog's on UKTV food.......

Don't forget, what we in UK call BBQ is "Grilling" in the US. It'd be great to have one of those huge, enclosed type BBQ's to cook on, then you can do stuff like a whole suckling pig or half a lamb etc......

Really low heat, and just set the alarm clock to go out and baste it in the gallons of sauce for a day or so

As opposed to the half-cocked, cremated remains of some burgers and sausage that is passed off as BBQ here in the UK!

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Yeah, some folks take their BBQ pretty seriously over here. I have a friend who even hitches a big smoker to the back of his truck and takes it with him camping.

Here is my favorite recipe for BBQ sauce. It's a Kansas City style sauce (the only real BBQ as far as I'm concerned). Works well with pork, especially ribs and shoulder cuts that require long cooking times.

* 2 cups ketchup
      * 2/3 cup dark molasses
      * 1/2 cup white vinegar
      * 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
      * 1/2 tsp ground allspice
      * 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
      * 1 tsp chili powder
      * 1 tsp chipotle hot sauce
      * 3 tsp dijon mustard
      * 1 tsp smoked paprika (the Spanish kind works well)
      * 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
      * 1/2 tsp salt

Preparation:
      Whisk together all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer, stirring, on low heat for 15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. May be used as a basting sauce towards the end of cooking, or brushed on after barbecuing, with additional sauce served on the side.
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
        Yeah, some folks take their BBQ pretty seriously over here. I have a friend who even hitches a big smoker to the back of his truck and takes it with him camping.

Here is my favorite recipe for BBQ sauce. It's a Kansas City style sauce (the only real BBQ as far as I'm concerned). Works well with pork, especially ribs and shoulder cuts that require long cooking times.

* 2 cups ketchup
        * 2/3 cup dark molasses
        * 1/2 cup white vinegar
        * 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
        * 1 tsp chili powder
        * 3 tsp dijon mustard
        * 1/2 tsp salt

Preparation:
        Whisk together all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer, stirring, on low heat for 15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. May be used as a basting sauce towards the end of cooking, or brushed on after barbecuing, with additional sauce served on the side.
        exactly what I was thinking of Steve.

It's what I find a bit strange i.e. BBQ here is grilling above charcoal or gas, whereas it does seem that in the US, some have taken it further....

How easy it might be to make a decent enclosed smoker type device so that you can keep the heat low, but roast for a long time is anyones guess.....

As for the myriad of sauce recipes that seem to abound......... well I suppose everyone likes it differently.....

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
          How easy it might be to make a decent enclosed smoker type device so that you can keep the heat low, but roast for a long time is anyones guess.....
          If you have a metal oil-type drum and a welding torch, one can be fabricated quite easily.

Plans here:
          Steve

Comment

* 2 cups ketchup
            * 2/3 cup dark molasses
            * 1/2 cup white vinegar
            * 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
            * 1 tsp chili powder
            * 3 tsp dijon mustard
            * 1/2 tsp salt

Preparation:

Will this work with chicken? if so how many chicken pieces / legs would the above recipe be good for Steve?

Regards

Cash

Comment

Originally posted by solly View Post
              Will this work with chicken? if so how many chicken pieces / legs would the above recipe be good for Steve?

Regards

Cash
              It also works well with chicken. Just baste the chicken with the sauce the last 10 minutes it's on the grill. Just long enough to caramelize it. It has some sweetness in it from the molasses, so it will burn if you leave it on too long. We also pass extra sauce around the table as a condiment.

The amount in the recipe makes enough for two whole birds.
              Steve

Comment

Have you ever made beer can chicken Steve?

I made it myself, 1st time the other week and it was bangin!

Comment

If you have a metal oil-type drum and a welding torch, one can be fabricated quite easily.

Plans here:
                  http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...ontent/bbq.asp
                  Ah! well the guns/pipes/gauges etc I can get, but the bottles........ well, they're a bit of a "no-no", not because you can't have them at home, but because of the restrictive bottle hire charges from the likes of BOC. They consider everything "industrial", so they charge "industrial" prices for the bottle hire contract (thieving t***s). Hell it would be very handy as I've some silver soldering I want to do and don't (at the moment) have anything that will heat the metal hot enough (Oxy/DA would definitely do the trick).

Oil drums I can get.......

Ah well!
                  Originally posted by Tuco View Post

Ha ha! I had to google that one Tuco. It looks like it should make an excellent dish - moist with the steam from the beer I should think and then it would depend on what rub or sauce you put with it...... but it does sound nice

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

This is one a guy on another forum sent me, its very nice. I used belly pork with it and its fantastic.

Ingredients

Pork ribs/belly- min 1kg (I aim for 500g ribs per person)
                    2 litre bottle of Cola (NOT diet)
                    Rum (dark is better, any is fine)
                    Zest of three limes, juice of one
                    Spices (including 4/5 star anise, smoked paprika and garlic powder - see below)
                    Soy sauce
                    Tomato ketchup

Spices
                    This bit tends to vary each time I cook it - when I cooked it first I used my own blend of West Indian jerk spices (Allspice, chili, cloves, cinnamon, thyme) but to be honest you can just use something like a packet cajun spice mix, fajita spice mix, chinese five spice - it all tastes great (and not that different!) - what I always add in addition to the above is a few whole star anise, lots of garlic powder (not garlic salt) and a teaspoon of smoked sweet paprika (red tin from Sainburys or Tesco)

Stage 1

Put the ribs/belly in the pan.
                    Pour in enough coke to pretty much cover the ribs
                    Add a nice glug of rum
                    Add the lime zest and the juice
                    Squirt in at least three tablespoons of ketchup
                    A good shake of soy sauce (if you're using a light soy like kikkoman I'd say two tablespoons, less if the dark stuff)
                    Add your choice of spices
                    Give it a stir

Simmer gently for an hour - check the tenderness of the pork - keep cooking slowly until you're happy then take it out.

Stage 2

Crank up the heat right up to reduce the sauce. You want it at least as thick as double cream when you're done.

This can take 45 minutes depending on how much coke you used and how hot your hob is.

Be REALLY careful when it's starting to thicken, plenty of stirring and medium heat at this point - the last bit happens very quickly and it's very easy to burn given all the sugar. This is a good time to check the seasoning - get it 'right' before its reduced and the sauce will be too salty. TBH the only thing you may need is an extra slosh of soy to give it more savouriness.

Stage 3

Coat the meat with the sauce - you want them to be completely coated, but if you can do this and still have a little of the sauce to serve on the side with the finished dish then great.

BBQ the meat, be very careful as it will burn quite easily! You can also finish in a very hot oven.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuco View Post

Indeed! In fact, sometimes I just like to drink the beer ( ) and refill the can with wine.

That technique works with Coke as well.
                      Steve

Comment

Here's the basis of a recipe that i regularly use at BBQ's and always goes down well. I have used it on various fish, tho its best to use fish that doesn't break up easily obviously for a BBQ, such as Tuna, swordfish and river cobbler. I've also done it with chicken and turkey fillets. Never tried it with red meat or pork or anything vegan like quorn but i can't see why it wouldn't work with any of those.

First lightly score your chosen cuts and rub in as much (or little) salt as suits you. Then squeeze some lemons and combine with the cuts making sure to coat them. Set aside and make up the marinade.

chop up some garlic, ginger and chilli and add to a pint (ish) of yoghurt in a large bowl. How much of each you use will depend on you own preferences. You don't need to worry too much about the heat from the chilli's as the yoghurt will take some of the sting out of them. So this is great for such things as scotch bonnets which have a delicious flavour but some find them way too hot. Now add your favourite spice mix and be generous with it. I use garamasala (with lots of extra ground coriander and cumin) or balti masala. But you may want to use jerk seasoning or a tex mex type mix. I always add some turmeric too for the colour.

After the cuts in lemon juice have been standing for around 1-2 hours shake off the juice and drop them in the yoghurt marinade. Get your hands in there and mix it all up ensuring to coat everything. A few hours in this mix is good, overnight in the fridge is better but you'll probably want to cover it if like me you love strong flavours (or else your fridge will smell of garlic and spices).

Come BBQ time lift your cuts out and let the excess marinade run off. It'll be thick and clingy so plenty will remain on your cuts. chuck it on the heat and enjoy the smells while it cooks .
                        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Little Gem lettuces are good on a bbq.

Cut in half or quarters, cover lightly with oil and some honey, put them on the bbq till they begin to soften and burn slightly, remove and serve with a dash of soy sauce and sprinkled on sesame seeds.

Quite refreshing and oddly enough slightly healthy to counter the meat intake.
                          A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well

Comment

that reminds me of how good little gems are with anchovies, so i may swap the honey for anchovies and give it a try at the next bbq, ta for the inspiration!
                            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Working...
                            X