New residents in my vineyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New residents in my vineyard

As I was walking through my vines tonight, I came across a family of birds that had decided to take up residence. Now I must walk through the vines at least twice a week and hadn't encountered these guys before. There are three chicks in the nest. I have no idea what kind of birds they are.

Nor do I know how to get rid of them. I'm not heartless, so I won't "whack" them Sopranos style. But I have to put up nets tomorrow.

Any ideas on how to clear them out without doing them harm?

birds.jpg
    Steve

As far as I am aware, in the UK at least, it is illegal to disturb a nest of chicks. After they have fledged you can do what you want.

Have you noticed a drop in your produce so far? If not, probably they are not interested. No living animal is going to reproduce where there is a food shortage. If you haven't notice your produce being affected, the parents are not interested; which suggests the chicks won't be either.
    “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
    Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post

[ATTACH]2012[/ATTACH]
      Borrow a neighbours cat for a week or two, and they may move on of their own accord
      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary
        sh1t,! ooh hope that gets past Bob!,
        It didn't...

and havent you just received infraction for this?

sailing close to the wind dude, my finger is on the button.
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 01-08-2009, 02:12 PM.
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post

Well once the crop is ripe they will decimate it, so without a doubt you need to move them, but moving them without causing harm?

hmmm not sure.....

If the nest gets moved I suspect the parents will abandon it.

So you are going to have to find grubs to feed them.
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

leave them till they've fledged, then net the grapes.......

that's what I'd do, though we don't get much in the way of birds in our garden, not with 5 cats in attendance....

regards

jtfb
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Leave them birdies alone NW! can't you just leave that vine un-netted?

ohbeary.....at that time of night you really must learn to count to 10 and read through your post again before hitting submit lol
              Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                So you are going to have to find grubs to feed them.
                Well..... just as long as I don't have to chew up the worms and regurgitate it into their little beaks.

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                Leave them birdies alone NW! can't you just leave that vine un-netted?
                I think this is the best option. I can't leave all the vines un-netted, as they are turning color now and will become attractive to wildlife very quickly. But the nest is right next to a post, so I can probably work around it

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                ohbeary.....at that time of night you really must learn to count to 10 and read through your post again before hitting submit lol
                lol

My thoughts exactly.
                Steve

Comment

Working...
                X