Ok, someone explain it to me........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, someone explain it to me........

A couple of threads recently, refering to rowan, elder and a few other "wild" fruit sources, have pointed out that this year there seems to be a few discrepancies in respect of their "normal" ripening times.....

Now I'm suspecting that some of this is due to the week or so hot weather at the end of june/early july. Also to the geographic location as to how much sunlight was "received" etc.

Now I understand, especially to some of the comments re the rowan berries. Around here, there seem to be lots of the trees that are showing the berries as ripe i.e. the berries fully formed and darkly coloured (orange as you probably know), plus the weight of the fruit causing the small branches/twigs to bend over etc.

Now, with that in mind, what other processes are happening ? Is it just at this stage they're "topping up" the internal/natural sugars ? or what.

If a batch was harvested and then steam juiced, why shouldn't I just use a bit of extra table sugar to bring the gravity up to what is "normal" for a batch of wine ?

I mean, it's not, after all, like making wine with grapes when part of the ripening process is allowing the fruit to develop enough natural sugar to be ready to harvest - and I understand that part of the husbandry of grapes is to test the juice with a refractometer to decide when they're ready......

Whereas, with country wines/melomels and other honey based wines, we add water and sugar (in one form or another) to X amount of fruit to make a "wine like" product, as just using the fruit juice would render the wine hideous/foul/disgusting/undrinkable .......

Hence I'm wondering why it is that I can't (or shouldn't) use fruit that isn't "quite ready" sugar-wise, but apart from that, is ready for picking.....

regards

jtfb

p.s. yes I know that we can "float test" elderberries, but when they're ready they've gone very dark in colour and can usually tell when they're not - but not only am I a little confused with the rowans but have also recently found some sloes that "look" right, despite it being normal practice not to pick them until after the first frosts (which do seem a long time away right now and I'd rather get some early than leave them till it's too late and they're starting to spoil).
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

It isn't just about the build up of sugars John.

Fruit when unripe can be quite harsh, sometimes due to excess acid (in grapes this is the case) but they can impart a "greenness" to your finished wine from the roughness/bitterness created by being unripe. More hang time for apples for example, doesnt produce more fermentable sugars, but it does give you fruit that makes better wine....something to do with starches and enzymes (not totally geeked up on that aspect with apples)

i do not have too much experience of rowanberries,but if you are steam juicing it will be less of an issue than it would be pulp fermenting.

steam and then test the juice for acidity and sugar levels and adjust as necessary. Perhaps steam a small amount and test and taste?...if the must doesn't taste good at the point of pitching the yeast, then the finished wine wont taste good either.

Hope this helps
    regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

There are two rowanberry trees near to me that look ready, bright red/orange fruit, and loaded with them...

If your not sure and you've got access to plenty of fruit/veg/etc make a half or quarter gallon batch of must up and run a test... Like Bob says, if it tastes foul wait...

Little pain in the ******** "Mr.Blackbird" has eaten most of my gooseberries as "someone" didn't put the nets up
      They're definitely not ready yet but it hasn't stopped him having a good try...
      ex ovo omnia
      Chemist, welder, homebrewer

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        It isn't just about the build up of sugars John.

Fruit when unripe can be quite harsh, sometimes due to excess acid (in grapes this is the case) but they can impart a "greenness" to your finished wine from the roughness/bitterness created by being unripe. More hang time for apples for example, doesnt produce more fermentable sugars, but it does give you fruit that makes better wine....something to do with starches and enzymes (not totally geeked up on that aspect with apples)

i do not have too much experience of rowanberries,but if you are steam juicing it will be less of an issue than it would be pulp fermenting.

steam and then test the juice for acidity and sugar levels and adjust as necessary. Perhaps steam a small amount and test and taste?...if the must doesn't taste good at the point of pitching the yeast, then the finished wine wont taste good either.

Hope this helps
        regards
        bob
        Yes, cheers Bob. It does give me an idea or to too think on. I did realise that it was quite a geeky question as there has to be a point when the fruit has developed as much as it's going to and then it's in the ripening stage - though I haven't found enough info to work out what might be going on.

Plus I've always presumed with sloes, that once they're blue/black then it's just a case of the plant using sunlight to top up the sugars to allow the best chance for the seeds to be able to develop into new plants etc...

If I can get time, I'll mug the tree that looks like the fruit is hanging the most to do a test "steam" of and then be able to get some idea of what the end product might taste like....

I suppose that whereas you've pointed out that you prefer your country wines to be, well, more "wine like", I'm still trying to hark back to earlier times when "Gales" still made very fruity tasting medium sweet country wines commercially (before Fullers took them over).
        Originally posted by Omniata View Post
        There are two rowanberry trees near to me that look ready, bright red/orange fruit, and loaded with them...

If your not sure and you've got access to plenty of fruit/veg/etc make a half or quarter gallon batch of must up and run a test... Like Bob says, if it tastes foul wait...

Little pain in the ******** "Mr.Blackbird" has eaten most of my gooseberries as "someone" didn't put the nets up
        They're definitely not ready yet but it hasn't stopped him having a good try...
        Yup, that's the plan, but as to whether I'll get the time is another question....

Ha! our gooseberries are an early variety - well the ones that we got to pick. The plant that was listed as "culinary" as opposed to the "mild/eating" one, the fruit on that seems to go mouldy very easily. I'm thinking that for next year, once it's flowered it will need spraying to prevent mildew (presumably that's what the mould is). Then we might get some nice sharp fruit for cooking/brewing......

regards

jtfb
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread but as it is about this year's berries...

Has anyone else noticed a distinct lack of elderberries or is it just that I missed them?

We have loads of damsons ready here (early) and loads of green sloes but the brambles are just starting to turn red with a few black ones here and there.
          www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

I think you may have missed them (they are still green) everywhere I look there seems to be an abundance of them

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

just to add...

we travelled the length of the A1 from Yorkshire to peterborough, and then along the M11 to Stanstead...they are everywhere
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

There are a few green ones but very sparse on the heads, I really can't believe I missed them and suspect the lack of bees at the time the flowers were out here means they didn't pollinate well this year. This poses another query - can you use dried elderberries in all wine recipes and if so, what ratio dried to fresh?

I hope to make a fruity red with damson, bramble and elderberry you see.
                www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Just to add to this thread on the moors near me there is no sloes ??
                  Getting better with age just like wine

Comment

and there's plenty of sloes and elderberries here..... though the sloes seem to be ripening a little early and the elderberries seem to be very inconsistent i.e. 1 bush they'll still all be green, another mixed with some heads of fruit green other virtually ripe, and others ripening that early that the fruit are already drying out.....

Weird......

regards

jtfb

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                    X