Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not much wine stuff happening over the past couple of days.

I suppose this is related:

I made my first sourdough bread last night. A sourdough starter is one made from flour and water, and the aim is for naturally occurring airborne wild yeasts (or yeast in the flour) to take residence. You can then grow a starter in much the same way as you would a wine yeast starter. The result was pretty good, and should get better over time as the starter evolves.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• the wild yeast round your way must be K1-v1116
      .. and now you can make bread with it !!
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• It wouldn't surprise me . It makes a pretty good loaf, in that case
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• I made a batch of fermented hot sauce last year using fresh chilies and EC-1118 wine yeast. It came out fantabulous - and so hot I had to pick up my eyeballs from the floor several times and poke them back into my skull.
          Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
            fermented hot sauce ????
            oooooo

Is it safe to post the recipe ?
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Don't see why not. It's fermented, and might even be considered a beverage, judging by the copious amounts I've seen consumed by some people.

I'll consult with Bob on an appropriate location to put it, and post when I get home from work this evening.
              Steve

Comment

• Hmmm.... looks like I already posted it.

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4395

Scroll down about 4 or 5 posts to find the link to the recipe.

I followed the recipe more or less, however, rather than rely on natural fermentation, I just got the ball rolling a little quicker by using a pinch of commercial wine yeast sprinkled on the surface of the pepper mash.
                Steve

Comment

• Thanks for that Steve I am going to make a batch for our local Harvest festival later in the year (make a change form Red Wine)

Comment

• started two gallons of orange&carrot juice wine,i am using red grape juice this
                    time.
                    this 1.5Lt ACE orange&carrot juice is from LIDL.
                    it makes a very very nice wine.

Comment

• Cleared the decks for a full mash beer tomorrow for the first meeting of Five Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• have just put on a lychee which is currently taking up one of my 5gal fermentors as i had nothing near a 2 gal, once i've racked it into a demijohn i'll be putting on another beer, most likely a St Peters Golden Ale if the LHBS has any in stock.

i've also been chopping and freezing kiwi and am waiting on a delivery of rhubarb from the MIL.

Comment

• Made an old ale last night With the boys and gierls that now form 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers society

I did the temperature tweak on my lidl boile and used it for the whole process, mash to boil..... very good indeed

We made this:

in the mash tun
                          Pale Malt 5800g
                          Crystal Malt 670g
                          Black Malt 220g

in the copper
                          Invert cane sugar 740g
                          Fuggles hops 73g (start of boil)
                          Goldings hops 41g (start of boil)
                          Goldings hops 15g (last 15 mins of boil)
                          Fuggles Hops 5 g (last 15 mins of boil)

Gervin ale yeast

2 hours mash at 67 deg C
                          2 hours boil

Scaled it down to a 4 gallon batch

great night, great company, great fun
                          N.G.W.B.J.
                          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Currently steam juicing 20lbs of Strawberries!
                            "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

• Stabilised, degassed & now today started clearing Zinfandel, Barolo, Sauvignon Blanc & White Zinfandel kits. Lychee has cleared already and once they've all cleared I'll filter & bottle the lot.
                              Feel the Zin

Comment

• I finally racked my lychee blush, Beaverdale sauvignon blanc, winexpert shiraz, and a wine number one with some raspberry and pomegrante cordial added late .

I made a bit of a boo boo though
                                I added the finings to the sauv blanc and shiraz... and somehow got them mixed up
                                So the chitosan that was for the sauv blanc, ended up in the shiraz.
                                The shiraz pack has waaaaay more in it.
                                So I improvised, and added some to the sauv blanc and the rest to the shiraz, from the other pack.
                                I hope they turn out ok
                                Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Working...
                                X