Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spent a while stood in the garage staring at it all, and wondering where to start. I'll be having a good sort out on Thursday. (Also weighed out some grain today, so I can get a beer on whilst sorting out the garage.)

Comment

• I have made two gallons of Blackberry,Elderberry & a hint of wild plum mix wine, it's started fermenting within 1 hour

Comment

• First racking of Wine Number 1 - Apple Juice, and blended two gallons together - one had a starting sg of 1092 and then i made another deliberatley lower at sg1060 to get ABV of just under 11%.

They love being degassed, dont they?!!? More head than a pint of Boddies!!

I racked and degassed a WN1 - Orange 5 days ago and its still not clearing. Might have to throw in some finings . . .Hmmmm.
        A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

• Roasted some of my French Oak collected last winter ready for GrapeFest. A few doubts are creeping in as to was it definitely oak, have I treated it right etc but I was sure at the time so hey ho. Tasted last years GF Merlot. Maturing nicely, free run and pressed wines are clearly different. That said I think I will blend back together as they seemed to complement each other nicely.
          Most of the rest of the time I spend looking forward to Grapefest. Only 3 more days!!
          Simon
          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Washed and sanitized all my fermentation bins ready for Saturday

Comment

• Originally posted by robwrx View Post
              Washed and sanitized all my fermentation bins ready for Saturday
              Isn't that a bit early?
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• I have left a small amount of sod met in each bin and sealed the lids. Should be fine until Saturday shouldn't it?

Comment

• Sure will. I'll be doing the same tonight.
                  Simon
                  "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• oh yeah - I thought you had washed and left. Meta will keep 'em for months.
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• .. but don't try it with bag in a box - strips the silver right off!

Comment

• Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                        I have left a small amount of sod met in each bin and sealed the lids. Should be fine until Saturday shouldn't it?
                        Remember to bring a little Meta with you (10% solution is best) if you can. Unless you are starting your fermentation straight away, you'll need to add a bit to your must, and you never know what might need a wash and sanitise on the day.
                        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                          Remember to bring a little Meta with you (10% solution is best) if you can. Unless you are starting your fermentation straight away, you'll need to add a bit to your must, and you never know what might need a wash and sanitise on the day.
                          I was planning on leaving the sod met in the bins so I have got something for sanitising with on Saturday morning if needs be.

A 10% solution of Pot Met is already bottled and syringe at the ready for use with the must.

I will forget something but most things are covered excellently in your Virgins Guide To Grapefest.

Rob

Comment

• Fear not Rob,

we wont see you go short of anything
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Except maybe sobriety and tunefulness.
                              Simon

Comment

• Thanks for the reminder. I've seen the videos. Must add ear plugs to my list of things to take.
                                Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
                                Except maybe sobriety and tunefulness.

Comment

Working...
                                X