This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by owlwithoutfeathers View Post
    Definately dig the bottle cleaning Goldseal . . Got a Frewbern Abbey Brew on the go at the minute. Thought it was done, so went and cleaned 9 litres worth of beer bottles and took the labels off (anyone else hate this job??! or is it just me!?!?) . The sucker is still at 1015 (how Mr T do i sound right now!?!)

I checked the gravity AFTER cleaning the bottles. I pitty the fool Owl, i really do. :-( There in lies the lesson kiddies: always check your gravity BEFORE spending half the morning cleaning out your bottles!

Oh, i also have the AOM on the go at the minute. Now, what to try next . . . hmmmm . . .

Owl.
    Ah, but let's 'Pollyanna' this. When your stuff is ready you will already have done the hard work on the bottles!
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Got loads to do today

Going to rack rhubarb and raspbery, and the tropical mix.
      I wanted to start either a lychee... or blackberry and elderberry.. and definately a Youngs chardonnay.
      If I have enough time I might start all three.... will see how things go.
      I also have some Merlot to bottle... but it has to be filtered first...
      So maybe just filter it today, and bottle later in the month.

Busy, busy, BUSY
      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Originally posted by spritzer View Post
        Got loads to do today

Going to rack rhubarb and raspbery, and the tropical mix.
        I wanted to start either a lychee... or blackberry and elderberry.. and definately a Youngs chardonnay.
        If I have enough time I might start all three.... will see how things go.
        I also have some Merlot to bottle... but it has to be filtered first...
        So maybe just filter it today, and bottle later in the month.

Busy, busy, BUSY

Well... busy busy NOWT

Friends turned up, just as everything went in to be sanitised .....
        They left, and my sister turned up....
        She left, and my friend, who is working in Belguim, webcammed me....
        So...
        Here I am, a little worse for wear.... with all of the afore mentioned still to do
        Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Originally posted by spritzer View Post
          Friends turned up, just as everything went in to be sanitised .....
          Sounds familiar . Normally, my doorbell goes during racking, just when I am getting to the really tricky bit at the bottom of the DJ.

Today I started a 10 litre batch of Lychee. I think my 71B starter died in the fridge - I think I'll need to chuck in a fresh sachet tomorrow when I get home (currently in a Travelodge rabbit hutch ).
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Started a strawberry #1, with the strawberrys to add when the sg comes down a bit.

Chilli wine started too (only a half DJ worth)

And a chocolate raspberry experiment.

Comment

• bottle cleaning today
              “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
              Groucho Marx

Comment

• a night off brewing, well apart from stirring the tanglefoot while i glug elderflower wine .... oh my why did i wait so long to try making this ... its delicious and the rough edges that were there 6-8 weeks ago have all but gone. so glad i made a 4 gallon batch rather than the 2-3 that is more normal. now i have a problem ... i loaded up on flowers cos i put them in at primary stage. and the incredible smell is one of the joys of this wine, so dare i change my recipe and method to add a vastly smaller amount at secondary, or should i keep all the same as its so good and be resigned to years of using oodles of flowers per bottle?
                To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• 6 ltr of elderflower no1 put in to sparkle, rest in 2 dj's, 5 gallon elderberry and bramble, racked and put in shed to clear, 5 gallon wine no1 and bramble transferred to secondary. read a lot about ag beer brewing as may give this a go
                  http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                  http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

• need to bottle 5 gallons of mild today and start another 5 gallons of mild.

The wines that I started recently look as though they're feeling good and are working away just fine.
                    Groucho Marx

Comment

• Having trouble getting a yeast going in 10l of Lychee.

71B starter, revived from the fridge failed on Friday. Fresh 71B pitched yesterday. Dead as a doornail, so getting another starter going, just in case.
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Having a nicely earned sup of Duvel after bottling 9 litres of Brewferm Abbey Beer. Is it just me or is cleaning and de-labelling beer bottles an absolute pain in the . . . ??!?!

Has anybody here brewed any Brewferm stuff before? Got 12 litres bottled of Framboise. Added the sugar to the batch for bottling and let is sit next to the radiator for a few days, then transferred the primed bottles to the outside hut to mature for Christmas. Should be nice.

Seems that the Abbey stuff is a bit listless - it tastes malty, but was very slow coming down to 1010 (preferred bottling gravity) to start secondary primed in bottles. Got the batch of 18 bottles sitting next to the radiator snug as a bug. Hopefully they wont explode all over the dining room!
                        A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

• I agree, cleaning and de-labelling beer bottles is an absolute pain in the . . . ??!?!
                          Groucho Marx

Comment

• tonight i have 2 gallons of wheat to demi john and 3 gallons of plum to rack and 22 champers bottles to twist again !!
                            Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

• Still trying to get a healthy fermentation going for my Lychee. I have about 2l of starter limping along. It hasn't helped that I have been at home all day, and thus able to fret and fiddle with it at regular intervals

5 bottles of sparkly bottled and sitting inverted in the front room, in an empty fermenter/blast pen.

1 gallon Icewine and 1 gallon Wine No.1 moved into the house to warm up prior to a final degas & bottling.
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• What is Icewine? Please tell me
                                Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X