Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished my beer immersion chiller yesterday. I was struggling to find hose tails in the DIY shops which would fit the fittings on the chiller, but had a brainwave and found that a couple of old washing machine filler hoses fitted.

All I need now is some time to actually make some beer, or do anything else for that matter.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Are you going to run the beer through the pipe or the cold water?
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Cold water.

I'm doing BIAB, in a 12 litre pot. Chiller will go into pot, inlet connected to cold water tap, outlet to bucket/something else, and then on to the water butt. Wort only ever comes into contact with the outside of the chiller's copper coils.
        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• I will be interested to see your results. I tried this method first and it took ages. I then opted to run the beer out of the boiler tap through the coil that was placed in a bucket of ice water. Bingo much quicker.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• ...should have mentioned I don't bother with even now. I do my beer on Saturday afternoons and as soon as boil is complete, I leave it to go cool overnight. Next morning aerate and pitch. With the same recipe I have found this make no difference whatsoever, if anything it is an improvement.

Comment

• It is a bit of an experiment. I usually stand the pot in a sinkful of cold water. This takes about 3 changes of water and about 2 hours. I want to speed the process up and reuse the pot on the same day, so if the chiller works, great. If not, it has only cost me about £8 in hose fittings, so no great loss.
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Be interested to see your results. The next thing I want to try is a recipe other than old speckled hen - the trouble is it's just too good!

Comment

• If you like hoppy beers, try Cascade Ale - simple, but truly superb

(credits DaveH, and Rich for the BIAB version)
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Do you have a recipe or a link please?

Comment

• I'll start by saying this isn't the only way to make beer, there are better, more equipment heavy ways to do it. Hopefully though, you will have most of the equipment already for this, and for a small outlay be able to experiment with making some beer whilst the wine ages. I've made a few this way, mainly to try odd recipes,

- that's Rich's BIAB version. I think I upped the initial volume to 7.8l, but I suppose that will depend of your kit.
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Got it - here too. Original 23l jobbler!

As promised, here's the recipe for my Cascade Summer Ale (although its good enough to drink all year round) that went down rather well at Grapefest! Cascade Summer Ale: 23L (5 Gallons) @ 1.049 O.G (5% ABV Approx) 90 Minute Mash. Grain Bill: 5 KG Pale Malt (Maris Otter) 0.5KG Wheat Malt 90 Minute Boil. *Note -

Gotta try it then - better drag some more bottles together.

Comment

• Has anybody done the Cascade summer ale with Gervin Old English yeast ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                            Has anybody done the Cascade summer ale with Gervin Old English yeast ?
                            I have indeed Brian, works really well - lets the flavour of the hops shine through.
                            "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

• Thanks Dave, it is my preferred beer yeast (Read I have a freezer full of it). Better nip out and get myself some Cascade hops.

Comment

• A gallon of wine made from fruit juice for only £2.63

Just started fermenting two gallons of fruit juice,from LiDL ( plein sud ACE vitamin-getrank )
                                it only cost £2.63 per gallon to make.

Comment

Working...
                                X