Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ... still not bottled the Phoenix. DEFINITELY tomorrow.

Instead, I started my monster port: 5l of steam-juiced elderberries, 1l Sour Cherry Nectar and 1l Morrison's Cherry Juice Drink, all in 9.5l of must. This is probably a bit OTT in terms of fruit content, but I'm trying to make a 'big' port. Fingers crossed
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Filtered and bottled the German Traminer Spätlese. Racked degassed added sorbate and finings the raspberry blush and racked the Pac lab kit strange tasting stuff and it’s gone down to an sg of .980. I remember boots kits tasting like this. Filtered the Spanish matador trio red into a glass carboy for bulk aging and washed loads of bottles.
      Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

• I've been doing a port this week too Pete. Black Cherry kit from youngs + red grape concentrate (small tin) + handful oak chips + 2kg last years sangiovese skins (previously frozen) + sugar + water + RC212.
        Looking good so far. Punching down tonight if active fermentation gets underway.
        Simon
        "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
          I've been doing a port this week too Pete.
          Good man

Black Cherry Port is a thing of beauty.
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Over the past ten days ish, I have managed to bottle an original wine number one, and a pineapple variation

I have acquired a big bag of rhubarb too, approx 2 kilos
            Thats not counting the 3 or 4 kilos in my freezer, and the approx 2 kilos in the garden still !!
            Enough for 5 gallons ? Maybes ?

A lychee I started yonks ago (I need to check my notes) is still going !!!!!
            Its one of the slowest wines I have done. It was from lychee juice, and red grape.... to make a lychee blush

I have a couple of 1 gallonsred kits under the kitchen table which I want to sort out soon

My wine racks have been too empty for my liking of late....
            I reckon I need to make at least 5 gallon of quaffing wine every month, to keep up with our own use and those we give away...
            Then another 5 gallon of stuff that needs to age.....
            Aye, I think that will be a good combination
            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Originally posted by spritzer View Post
              I have acquired a big bag of rhubarb too, approx 2 kilos
              Thats not counting the 3 or 4 kilos in my freezer, and the approx 2 kilos in the garden still !!
              Enough for 5 gallons ? Maybes ?
              Probably enough for 3 or so.

I would strongly recommend Rhubarb & Elderflower (Colin Tweed based, using Luc Volders' elderflower syrup). The bst non-grape white I ave made IMO, by some margin.
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Started a Cellar Craft Showcase Mountain trio red. Nice kit came with skins oak chips and cubes to oak after fermentations finished. Labelled and shrinks to the German Traminer Spätlese and off to the cellar.
                Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                  Probably enough for 3 or so.

I would strongly recommend Rhubarb & Elderflower (Colin Tweed based, using Luc Volders' elderflower syrup). The bst non-grape white I ave made IMO, by some margin.
                  Ah, that does sound good.
                  I might try and see about getting some elderflowers over the weekend....
                  Or I might buy some tinned rhubarb to boost my stock for a 5 gallon batch of rhubarb.... decisions decisions eh ?

Comment

• I know which option I'd go for: fresh stuff only, even if it's a smaller batch. Because you'd need to freeze and thaw the rhubarb anyway, you could freeze it and wait until you had collected sufficient for a larger batch.

Oh, and for those of you who have been waiting on tenderhooks to find out whether I finally bottled my Phoenix ..... yes, it happened yesterday
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

Oh, and for those of you who have been waiting on tenderhooks to find out whether I finally bottled my Phoenix ..... yes, it happened yesterday
                      Phew! I shall be able to sleep tonight

Gutted to see you might not make GF2012. Who is going to steady the bladder press and stop it falling over when I repeatedly jump on the pallet like I did last year?

Rob

Comment

• Well, I'm working on it. The boss likes wine, you see ....
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Top banana
                          N.G.W.B.J.
                          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I know which option I'd go for: fresh stuff only, even if it's a smaller batch. Because you'd need to freeze and thaw the rhubarb anyway, you could freeze it and wait until you had collected sufficient for a larger batch.

Aye.... You're right Pete.
                            I made a rhubarb a couple of years ago from fresh fruit and it was stunning a couple of years later
                            Fresh fruit it is

Comment

Well, I'm working on it. The boss likes wine, you see ....
                              DaveH LIKES THIS!!!
                              "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Well, I'm working on it. The boss likes wine, you see ....

Comment

Working...
                                X