Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found a medium setting in a microwave helps and then like you say a little water.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
      I found a medium setting in a microwave helps and then like you say a little water.
      But the microwave will still heat part, if not all the honey, which, if you're trying to preserve aromatics and more subtle flavourings in a nice (expensive) varietal, it defeats the object of the exercise.

Crystalised honey is hygroscopic. So if you needed the 3.5lb that a JAO uses, you could just put it in half a gallon of water (in a bucket) over night and most, if not all of the crystalised honey will have reverted to type, just needing a little whizz from a stick blender the morning after.......
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Racking the olorosso sherry, madeira and christmas pudding wines

happy days
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Processing a huge amount of rhubarb which some kind soul donated. 18lb in the freezer, frustratingly slightly less than I'd ideally use for a full 5 gals.
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• The Cellarcraft trio red finished. Added all the usual chemicals very little gas so in went the finings and the Hungarian oak cubes for twenty days it says in the instructions. Two wine number ones still need to ferment a little more both at .999 there’s a bit of fizz so they’re not stuck and the wine number one that I had the filtering “issue” looks clear enough to filter and bottle over the week end. Sorry Spritzer just noticed your comment It was a standard Harris filter pad
            Last edited by RTPFUN; 25-07-2012, 08:14 AM.
            Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

• Monster Port fermentation has been extremely sluggish since I racked to DJs and sugar-fed it. Suspect I waited too long before racking, and most of the yeast settled out in the lees, which were left behind. I have poured it from DJ to DJ in an attempt to stir up any remaining yeast which might be lurking, but i nthe meantime I have a K1V starter on the go, just in case I need to restart.

I SHOULD be degassing and stabilising a Luna Rossa kit, but it's a bit hot at the mo. Maybe 6am tomorrow .
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Today I managed to do a spot of bottling during lunch. I realised I have insufficient empty 5 gallon carboys for this years Grapefest so I need to bottle 15 DJs and then transfer last years Grapefest wines into the empty DJs. I guess I could bottle some of it but then I might be tempted to drink it

Comment

• Bottling during lunch?? How long is your lunchtime?

My normal bottling sessions last hours.
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

• 18 bottles in an hour and a bit. It was my first attempt at using a vacuum setup to bottle and I had hoped to be faster. That didn't include cleaning the empties.

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                      I SHOULD be degassing and stabilising a Luna Rossa kit, but it's a bit hot at the mo. Maybe 6am tomorrow .
                      Thanks for a good idea!
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Building up my Monster Part restart bottle. I have a wine bottle full, and it is bubbling slowly but steadily, so almost ready to add back to the main batch.
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Filtered and bottled a wine number one, racked de-gassed stabilised etc two wine number 1’s a better one made with good all pressed juice from Asda and the ooops one with mixed white and red grape juice from Lidl not sure what that will be like or what we’re going to do with it yet but looks like I have a rose to sort out. Oh Pete/Gollseal the Luna Rossa kit you said that it's an early drinker, how fast is early 3,6,9 months?

Comment

• Originally posted by RTPFUN View Post
                            ... the Luna Rossa kit you said that it's an early drinker, how fast is early 3,6,9 months?
                            I reckon it's drinkable at 6, decent at 9 and pretty good at 12.
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Thanks Pete I'll get one on now for next year. They're not cheap so I'll leave it for a full year

Comment

• A quick stock take in the cellar and there will be shortage of good white early next year if I don’t get some brewed so it’s off to the HBS got a couple of Kenridge Classic Viognier. Tesco's for water and they're in the warm cupboard within the hour.

Comment

Working...
                                X