Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Wine No.1 bottled yesterday. 1 in the fridge for later Beaverdale Barolo de-gassing and ready to start fining tonight. Needs more oak though (probably because most of it blew out of the airlock at the start). Gallon of Wine no.2 started off this morning. This is fun!

Comment

• Today i started two gallons of elderberry&blackberry wine.

Comment

• Teaching the kids how to measure must temperature and how to punch down. Figured it could come in useful some day. Its a science project, right?
        Simon
        "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• lol
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Ordered two new barrels today to replace some older ones. 55-liter French oak from Tonnellerie Radoux, and 50-liter American oak from our local cooperage, the Barrel Mill.

I love the smell of new barrels in the morning.
            Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
              Teaching the kids how to measure must temperature and how to punch down. Figured it could come in useful some day. Its a science project, right?
              DaveH LIKES THIS A LOT!!!

Must see if it works with my 2.....Ben was very inquisitive yesterday whilst i was building a new PC at home......
              "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

• Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
                Teaching the kids how to measure must temperature and how to punch down. Figured it could come in useful some day. Its a science project, right?
                Glad to see I'm not the only one irresponsible enough to get children to help my eldest who is 7 has also helped with punching down and has been "shooting" everything with the contactless thermometer.

Comment

• Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                  contactless thermometer.
                  Are they any good ?
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Not so much IN my winery, but OUTSIDE ....

... drilled some holes in the patio & installed expanding bolts. I can now bolt down my super new press, which should make life easier.
                    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Wondering when i am going to get the time to press my skins this weekend!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                        Are they any good ?
                        Yes, I think so.

You don't need to sanitise it

This is the one I've got http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Non-Contac...#ht_3551wt_922

I've checked it against my stick thermometer and happy that it is within 1c. It does only measure the surface temp though.

Comment

• While cleaning up my wine room I found a dust-caked 3-gallon carboy of Port I started back in 2005. Positively delicious. So I'm bottling that today, along with some of last year's Pinot Noir.
                          Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                            I found a dust-caked 3-gallon carboy of Port I started back in 2005.
                            oooh, you lucky thing .

I have been pressing and cleaning up - more details over on the Grapefest 2012 Ferments thread.
                            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• I have to work myself up to bottling 10 gallons of Grapefest wine from 2011 in order to have enough secondary fermentation containers for this years.
                              Simon
                              "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• What yo need is an enolmatic. I fort it off for years.. but they are brill.
                                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                                X