This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
    I noticed the barrels have no taps, how will you get the wine out?
    Not to state the obvious, but the wine exits the same hole where it enters.

I don't serve wine from barrels. To do so is to risk brett infection and other nasties. Thus I age it, remove it (replacing it with another wine), and then bottle it.
    Steve

Comment

• Still waiting for my California Merlot to arrive, so I decided to make a fruit wine. I have 7 kilos of fresh cranberries and 2.5 kilos of frozen red currants. Sounds like it might be a good combo.
      Steve

Comment

• Nothing - still knee-deep in Grapefest fermenters. Must get a couple of cheap kit whites on the go otherwise I'll have no quaffing wine next year.

Chutney production going well though
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
          Chutney production going well though
          I have extra red currants as well. I'm thinking the leftovers will go into jelly.
          Steve

Comment

• A wine number three variant with 3l red grape juice and about 1kg of mixed red fruits to be added late...

Comment

• Hello all

Haven't been on for a while and haven't been making a lot of wine :-(
              Firstly because of time and secondly because of funds.

I have however just received a brass jawed floor corker for the bargain sum of £20 delivered from ebay. I previously has a gilda corker until it snapped 3 weeks ago.

The floor corker is fantastic. No cork is a challenge for this thing.

Hoping to get the man jobs squared up around the house (currently insulating and drylining a bedroom) then by christmas I shall be investing in a few kits to go back into full production :-)

Hope everyone's well.

Comment

• Racked and sulphited the 2nd runs from GF2012. Very clear already and taste great. I can't wait to try the Tempranillo from the 1st run as the 2nd run version tastes very nice.

All 1st run wines are still undergoing MLF

Comment

• Rob - are you testing for MLF. If so are you using the Koomber method from last year? Be interesting to see whether that works well as I have to admit I haven't yet tried it. After innoculating eith the MLF culture I left mine warm for a week or so but after that I left them out in the cold (worried about the electricity bill!). Will see what happens next spring when it warms up again.
                  Simon
                  "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Simon

No! I have no MLF testing kit. The ferments had slowed right down after pressing. I inoculated with Malocid and within 5 days started to see a big increase in volume and speed of some very small bubbles. I am assuming that this was MLF starting. The bubbles have slowed down now but they are still being produced so I guess that MLF is still happening. All carbouys are kept about 22c. SG was around 1.000 when the Malocid was added and that was 25 days ago.

How long can I leave the wine unsulphited before I risk problems? All containers are topped up.

Comment

• It doesn't mean its right but I won't sulphite mine now until racking late next spring unless I sense a problem. They are all topped up and I smell them every week. My personal approach now would be to move them somewhere cold and bet that MLF has completed. It should have after a month I would have thought in ideal conditions (such as you have). Apart form the elec bills one fear I had was keeping the wine warm (22c) for too long gave me the heeby jeebies about microbial attack, I reasoned (with myself) that this is less likely at 14c and below.

As I said this is my method not advice and it doesn't mean it is right!
                      Simon
                      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• I should also say that after I pressed and before I innoculated i also let settle and racked off the remaining lees. I wouldn't leave it on anything close to substantial lees for any length of time.
                        Simon

Comment

• Yikes!!!! No sulphite until next spring

Define substantial I only recently read your exchange with Steve regarding settling and then racking after pressing. I will try that on the next batch of grapes. I use a fine mesh bag on the press and then vacuum racked into a carbouy from a bin. There was a certain amount of sediment left in the bin after racking but it was only what fell out over about an hour or so.

I estimate there is about a max 1/2" thick layer of lees (maybe 0.5 litre?) in the bottom of the carbouys. That is based upon what I disposed of last night from the racking of the 2nd run wines. There are no pips or whole skins, just what I would describe as a build up of fine lees.

Comment

• Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                            I estimate there is about a max 1/2" thick layer of lees (maybe 0.5 litre?) in the bottom of the carbouys. That is based upon what I disposed of last night from the racking of the 2nd run wines. There are no pips or whole skins, just what I would describe as a build up of fine lees.
                            1/2" of fine lees is not what I would consider to be substantial.
                            Steve

Comment

• Thanks Steve.

Comment

• Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
                                I should also say that after I pressed and before I innoculated i also let settle and racked off the remaining lees. I wouldn't leave it on anything close to substantial lees for any length of time.
                                Oops!!! I have got about three inches of lees in the bottom collected since the first racking. Should I have racked again since the first racking from the skins? I was going to wait until it had finished before racking again... Am I doing it wrong now?

Comment

Working...
                                X