Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busy week end. Racked off a wine number one and the Italian 3 vinyards kit de-gassed and finings are in. Put on the Kenridge Australian Shiraz Mataro. The Californian grand red is very slow but still fermenting so I'll not mess with it just yet but at 3 weeks it's sure taking it's time. Then a huge tidy up of the cellar looking very empty after several parties over Christmas and New Year. Bottled the Cellar craft ltd edition and the Spanish matador trio red from last year as I'll need the glass carbuoys for this years reds.
    Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

• Spent the evening racking several carboys of wine. Cleaning as I went so I had something to rack into. Last years ltd kits (only 2 (still not made 2, they're next to make!), a 5 gallon lychee, some port kits, and Bri's Grenache from a couple of years back.

Measured up the brewing cupboard too, with some slight adjustments and a shelf, I reckon I can get 2 stubby 5 gallon buckets in it to ferment. Might be able to clear the back log then..

Comment

• started two gallons of prune juice & pomegranate juice,wine.
        ingredients will make 2 gallon.
        2lt-red grape juice.
        1lt-prune juice.
        1lt-pomegranate juice.
        2kg-sugar.
        1tsp-pectic enzyme(per DJ)
        1tsp-ritchies yeast&nutrient(per DJ)
        water.

Comment

• Started the Kenridge French Melange a trios and a home made Viognier style (recipe on here) Bottled the Italian Three vinyards and a Wine number one. Racked off a home made rose degassed it and finings added. Put on a yeast starter with Lalvin EC1118 for the Kenridge California North Coast Grand Red that has stuck at SG1010 it was slow from the start. But here’s the strange thing the rose that’s just finished was started with the grape skins from this kit and that went like a rocket. Anyway in two years it’s my first kit that’s stuck can’t complain too much can you.

Comment

• Originally posted by RTPFUN View Post
            Put on a yeast starter with Lalvin EC1118 for the Kenridge California North Coast Grand Red that has stuck at SG1010 it was slow from the start. But here’s the strange thing the rose that’s just finished was started with the grape skins from this kit and that went like a rocket. Anyway in two years it’s my first kit that’s stuck can’t complain too much can you.
            I'm really looking forward to getting the Kenridge California North Coast Grand Red going as I've not had a go at a grape pack kit yet.

Making a Rosé was a good way to re-use the grape pack, I might just have to copy that. There would have been a large colony of yeast in the grape pack just waiting for the sugar in the Rose must. I've done a number of second run wines now that have fermented to dry in 2-5 days.

Did you add any extra yeast to the Rose or just use what was left in the grape pack?

Comment

• No didn't use any extra yeast (had a packet ready but no need for it). And for this moment in the process (just finished degassing) the rose smells very nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by RTPFUN View Post
                No didn't use any extra yeast (had a packet ready but no need for it). And for this moment in the process (just finished degassing) the rose smells very nice.
                That makes your stuck ferment even more of a puzzle then if the yeast in the grape pack from the Kenridge ltd edition kit were still viable.

What was the starting SG? Did your kit come with RC212? Could you have reached alcohol tolerance of the yeast? Unlikely as I've just googled RC212 and it should go to 16%. Could it have anything to do with temperature?

Comment

• Just started two gallons of Rose wine.
                  Recipe makes 2 gallon
                  ingredients
                  2lt-white grape juice.
                  1lt-cranberry & raspberry juice.
                  1lt-5 Alive tropical 5 fruit blend juice.
                  2kg white sugar.
                  1-cup of black tea(no milk or leaves) per DJ.
                  1tsp ritchies & nutrient,per DJ.
                  1tsp pektolase,per DJ.
                  water.

Note: when fermenting as fully stopped rack and add finings then leave until clear then rack again and
                  mature for at least 6 months.
                  happy brewing, :cheers:

Comment

• Hi everyone

I'm about to start the Kenridge Grand Red al la Karl (many thanks!). It comes with a couple of litres of the grape skins and wanted some ideas/ recipes to do a second run with the left over grape skins. I know this question has been asked before but am stuck with the options.

Happy brewing!

Comment

• Hi Mike
                      A straight forward wine No1 would be a good option, there will still be some colour to be extracted from the skin pack, so perhaps consider the addition of some pectolase, as it not only helps prevent hazes caused by pectolase but is a very good colour extractor.

regards
                      bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hi Bob
                        Thanks for that. How many litres of wine number one should I do with the skin pack?

Comment

• After what feels like an age off wine making due to a very busy few months at work and home, I got on and racked all of my GF wines and 2nd runs today 30 gallons total. I think I deserve a glass of beer. Some real beauty's in there. The Tempranillo is lovely, lost all of the early vegetal nose and taste and settling down nicely, merlot is inky black. Took a lot of soaking with oxiclean to get the better bottle clean. Grenache is really fruity, raspberries and strawberries with a lovely dark violet colour.
                          Ahhh Grapefest... (is it too soon to think about it?)
                          Simon
                          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• I had a tasting session over the weekend, Merlot , Shiraz and Tempranillo all where they should be. I am going to wait for slightly warmer weather before doing my racking thought.
                            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Bottled the black cherry port this weekend as the dj's kept getting in the way. I must be learning something as I can tell why it needs that extra time now.... When depositing at my long term storage facility, i found a dj of of paklabs cab sav that I didn't know I had. :-)

Comment

• Always a bonus when you get an unexpected find!

Brian - On the racking - I hadn't racked since cold stabilisation and so didn't want the tartrate to redissolve. Mind you, not much chance of that at the moment!
                                Simon
                                "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Working...
                                X