X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Idea John

but will try to do some research
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hi All

Well had a run at bottling this week (now got the clean-up )

Racked the Muntons Premium Merlot that I got from Wilko when they had the sale, was a bit worried as I left it a bit longer than I should have as not had a chance to set aside the needed time, but it taste ok so time will tell. Must admit I did kind of ignore the instructions re adding the finning etc and will let it clear naturally.

Bottled my apple mead after 6 months and am very happy with the results, it has a nice mellow flavour with the apple not too overpowering. Will most certainly be making this again and trying some other variants.

Bottled my farmfoods frozen rhubarb wine and this is the best results I've had with the whites.

1st racking of my elderflower wine from the bucket to the DJ and topped up, hopefully avoid cat pee heads. Was surprised how many petals me and my mate got from about 30 ish minutes, ended up with about 9-10 pints of petals so have 3 litres of cordial to make more wine through the year.

Also been enjoying the ginger beer I made after celler_rat posted about it and had the same problem with very little fizz, I added 1/2 tea spoon to 250ml bottles so wondering if the bottles I used were not holding the pressure and letting it out.

Mark............

Comment

• Killed a 3 Gallon Corny Keg. The bottom dip tube poked through the skin in the dimple at the bottom, resulting in the remains of the keg getting dumped to the floor. Fortunately it was in the laundry room, so no leaks below floor level. Amazed it managed to hold pressure for 3 weeks. The rubber foot on the bottom seemed to have stopped it for so long, but I think when the temps increased over the weekend the poor bugger couldn't stand it and popped

Need to find a man with a TIG welder.
        Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
        Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
        -Police Squad

Comment

• Blimey - why was the dip tube so long - most of mine stop a couple of mm from the bottom. That is apart from the ones that have U bends. I have to say that stainless steel tube is a bu33er to cut with ordinary tube cutters.

You may have started a rush now - everyone will be going out and checking their corny kegs!!

me first ................
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• A practical tip - cut dip tube short and use a short length of polypipe to extend to where necessary.

RAB

Comment

• Originally posted by oliver90owner View Post
              A practical tip - cut dip tube short and use a short length of polypipe to extend to where necessary.

RAB
              A man after my own heart. That's exactly what I'm going to do.
              -Police Squad

Comment

• Originally posted by koomber View Post
                Need to find a man with a TIG welder.
                I have such equipment..... just need a man who can use it
                Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Comment

• Originally posted by Abervin View Post
                  .. just need a man who can use it
                  I can - but geographically this is getting ridiculous
                  Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 23-07-2013, 05:35 PM.
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by oliver90owner View Post
                    A practical tip - cut dip tube short and use a short length of polypipe to extend to where necessary.

RAB
                    Pub lines hose fits perfect. This is what I use for U bends.

Comment

• Just gotten a started made using yeast I washed from another ferment. Need to have a nice big colony for my next brew on Friday. An Imperial IPA weighing it at 8%.

200g of Hops going into it for a 20L brew.
                      -Police Squad

Comment

• yikes. I applaud the reusing of yeast, but are you sure you need to spend all that money on hops

Comment

• Originally posted by Abervin View Post
                          I have such equipment..... just need a man who can use it
                          I can use one too. Any chance of borrowing it Adam? (presuming it's not a huge one!)

Comment

• In other news, I've moved 2 wine kits into the kitchen, ready to be made. Cleared out some corny kegs and hops to a worthy cause and cursed at the amount of empty bottles in the garage.

Comment

• ..and in other news.

I turned a corny into an excellent backpack weed sprayer.

Comment

• Recipe makes 2 gallon
                                2lt-red grape juice.
                                1lt-ribena blackcurrant juice.
                                1lt-cranberry juice.
                                2kg-sugar.
                                1tsp-ritchies yeast compound.( per DJ )
                                water.

Method: make a sugar syrup with half of the sugar then leave to cool, then divide the sugar syrup and the fruit juices
                                into the DJs add the yeast compound fit the airlocks and ferment for one week then make some more sugar syrup with the other half of the sugar when cool add to the DJs and top them up to the neck with cold tap water fit the airlocks and fully ferment out.
                                when fermenting as stopped rack then add finings and the wine should clear in about 5 to 7 days then rack again and mature for about 6 to 12 months. :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                                X