This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All very shiny

Me, the realisation that GF is only a month away has just hit. Not home much between now and then, all by carboys are full, no yeast in the fridge, no oak in the cupboard, no ML culture ordered, no plan .....
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
      All very shiny

Me, the realisation that GF is only a month away has just hit. Not home much between now and then, all by carboys are full, no yeast in the fridge, no oak in the cupboard, no ML culture ordered, no plan .....
      Sounds like you need to hire...................'The A Team'

*ducks*

"There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

• I'd be better off with ducks!
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• 10 gallons of Yakima Valley Riesling on the go! In the US, most regions on the west coast are having a very early harvest this year.

I expect we'll be getting black grapes in the next three weeks. I ordered 300 lbs (136 kg) of Sonoma Pinot Noir last week. I still need to find something to fill two other barrels. I'm thinking Malbec and Cabernet Sauvignon if I can get it for a decent price (since I put the majority of my budget into the Pinot).
          Steve

Comment

• Just cleaned out two tanks - might do an early ferment and a later one, this year..
            Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 21-08-2013, 05:51 AM.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by robwrx View Post
              Spent the afternoon getting 7 wines ready for this years local wine competition which happens tomorrow. Hoping to better last years two thirds, one second and a first from 6 entries. This year I am entering my very young black cherry port in the sweet wine category to make it 7 entries.
              how'd you get on rob?

Comment

• Thanks for asking, I'm currently celebrating having won this chuffing hell!

I did better than last year and took one 3rd, three 2nd and two 1st plus the trophy for best in show. I came 2nd overall on points out of 15 entrants to a chap called Frith. He confessed that he has been making wines for over 20 years having owned a vinyard in South Africa. His daughter is the current owner of Dunstone Winery in South Africa.

We had a serious tasting session after the show finished and got chatting about making wine from fresh grapes. All his wines were made from local fruit, flowers and a couple of vines he has in his garden and were very well balanced. I am already planning how I can beat him next year but for now I am chuffed to bits with the trophy for best in show.
                Last edited by robwrx; 21-08-2013, 09:30 PM.

Comment

I did better than last year and took one 3rd, three 2nd and two 1st plus the trophy for best in show. I came 2nd overall on points...
                  Congratulations, Rob! That's a very nice achievement!

One thing I've mentioned to Bob and Goldseal is that you folks on that side of the pond really know how to do a proper trophy. Here in the US all we win in most competitions are colored ribbons or medals. When I came over in 2010, I won 2 classes and Best in Show at the Pontefract show. What I wasn't told is that I should have brought an additional suitcase to carry the bling back home. Here in the states I can usually shove any winnings into a trouser pocket.
                  Steve

Comment

• Crikey Rob, well done. That's impressive.

Get Mr Dunstone in here too - get his experience in the knowledgebase!

Many congrats!
                    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
                    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

• Thanks guys

I did mention wines at home to Robert Frith, I will see what I can do.

Comment

• Heartiest congratulations Rob

(is there any left?)
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Thanks Bob. No not much. Last year I just topped up most of the bottles and recorked them but no chance of that this year. I will bring plenty to Grapefest though. Be good to get another opinion or two from you guys.

Comment

• I think someone is going to need a Cabinet soon - and I don't mean Cabernet

Well done indeed.
                            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Cheers Brian. Unfortunately I can only keep the trophy for the year and then I have to give it back.

Comment

Thanks for asking, I'm currently celebrating having won this chuffing hell!

I did better than last year and took one 3rd, three 2nd and two 1st plus the trophy for best in show. I came 2nd overall on points out of 15 entrants to a chap called Frith. He confessed that he has been making wines for over 20 years having owned a vinyard in South Africa. His daughter is the current owner of Dunstone Winery in South Africa.

We had a serious tasting session after the show finished and got chatting about making wine from fresh grapes. All his wines were made from local fruit, flowers and a couple of vines he has in his garden and were very well balanced. I am already planning how I can beat him next year but for now I am chuffed to bits with the trophy for best in show.
                                Cool trophy! Well done. Our local show is running a wine class this year after I suggested it last year. Anything not from a commercial kit is the name of the class. I'm liking forward to it. Congrats again!

Comment

Working...
                                X