X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lol

I'm in America
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Just bottled a kiwi/apple and a kiwi/strawberry. The remnants of each were mixed and drank, while starting a cranberry, leftovers from turkey day. No they weren't cooked, I bought to many, supposedly by accident.
      Hootus est

Comment

• does the kiwi taste transpose itself into the wine well? If so, I'm up for trying a kiwi combination
        “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
        Groucho Marx

Comment

• Tonight - planning tomorrow's activities (yes, I'm an anorak). Will be bottling a carboy of Chocolate Raspberry port, steam juicing about 30lb of blackberries and elderberries and getting the resultant juice fermenting.
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Bottling a gallon of sweet orange wine (well its actually a mix of orange, tangerine, grapefruit, lemon blah blah - but i have called it orange wine since CJJJJ Berry inspired this brew with his orange wine recipe. It was one of my first way back in the early days).

Also bottling a gallon of elderflower

more bottling and racking to come in the near future

by the way, how likely is it you'll get an accidental MLF cos of adding malic acid to a brew?
            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Originally posted by wisp View Post
              does the kiwi taste transpose itself into the wine well? If so, I'm up for trying a kiwi combination
              To me, it ends up being very reisling like. Not exactly a kiwi taste.
              Hootus est

Comment

• Originally posted by ms67 View Post
                by the way, how likely is it you'll get an accidental MLF cos of adding malic acid to a brew?
                Did you add malic acid, or was malic simply part of an "acid blend" preparation that was added?

In any case, it's unlikely you will have to worry about MLF. First, only half of commercial malic acid is of the correct type, L-malic. The other type, D-malic, can't be metabolized by the bacteria. Second, as long as you maintain an adequate level of SO2, you will never have to worry much about unwanted MLF.
                Steve

Comment

• Last night i did my first blending experiment, very small scale with leftovers from bottling orange (sweet) and elderflower (dry). The result was an orange wine that was not confined to being dessert type only. Not surprising i suppose, tho i was surprised that the elderflower was so completely swamped.

thanks for the MLF info Steve, i was indeed asking about my own additions of malic acid. Great stuff the D/L difference, such things quickly fill me with a sense of awe and wonder with life the universe and everything.
                  To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                  A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• 10 hours of work has resulted in around 3 gals of Chocolate Raspberry Port being bottled, a gallon of Strawberry racked, and around 12kg of elderberries and blackberries steam-juiced and converted into 20l of soon-to-be-fermenting must.

Time for a cup of tea
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Pete wouldn't be Pete without a cuppa tea
                      Racked 5 gal of seyval grapes, smells fantastic just a little acidic so put outside to try and drop some tartarates.
                      5 gal of Muntons Continental lager put on to ferment & a 5 gal Solomon Grundy Merlot ready for Christmas. Not the best of kits, but makes a nice early drinking quaffer.
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• racked, stabilised etc 2 gallons of elderflower and 2 gallons of hawthorn blossom. The former delights me, the latter .... well i'm gonna start a thread elsewhere for ideas on what i can do with it.

edit: i started a thread when i started the wine, so here it is if you wanna pass on some of your brewing wisdom http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...5094#post65094
                        Last edited by ms67; 03-12-2009, 12:34 AM.

Comment

• Racked, degassed and stabilised 3 gallons of parsnip wine. Last year's version made lots of people happy, this year the OG was a little lower, there is a little residual sweetness too and i think it may be even better ... and that would be due to WAH encouraging better balance and degassing ... cheers folks

Moved 2 gallons of mint wine to secondary.

Thinking of starting the youngs definitive blackcherry kit that i got today, one eye on the clock tho ....

Comment

• Couldn't help it ... started the blackcherry kit too

Comment

• Originally posted by ms67 View Post
                              Couldn't help it ... started the blackcherry kit too
                              Don't worry,it happens. I'm at capacity at the moment - everything is full - but I found myself looking around various HBS websites last night, looking for bargains

Today, I think I'm turning into a Label Ponce . Up to now, my labels have been purely functional (i.e. what is in the bottle - I look at my electronic notes if I want to know any more detail). However, the Selection Ltd Edition kits come with very nice labels, so I have acually been CLEANING THE BOTTLES to make sure they stick nicely, and applying COLOUR CO-ORDINATED shrink capsules. This all takes longer than bottling did
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                                Don't worry,it happens. I'm at capacity at the moment - everything is full - but I found myself looking around various HBS websites last night, looking for bargains

Today, I think I'm turning into a Label Ponce . Up to now, my labels have been purely functional (i.e. what is in the bottle - I look at my electronic notes if I want to know any more detail). However, the Selection Ltd Edition kits come with very nice labels, so I have acually been CLEANING THE BOTTLES to make sure they stick nicely, and applying COLOUR CO-ORDINATED shrink capsules. This all takes longer than bottling did
                                Colour co-ordinated shrink caps ??????

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooouuuuu!

Be careful though Pete, cos you'll be getting out the old "John Bull Printing set" to personalise you corks next.........

Personally, today, I'll be doing lots of "thinking"....... what about ? erm, haven't decided yet....

hey ho!

regards

jtfb
                                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                                X