This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yikes no....

this had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much acid, (hence earmarking foor sparkling wine production, and 2 gals juice frozen in my freezer to turn into icewine, the extrra acidity coping with the super sweetness of the icewine) the only possible benefits ogf the high acidity could be a little extra fruitiness due to reduced pH during fermentation, and the cover on the sediment, however, if one racks carefully it isn't necessary, and adding acid to take a wine to this level leads to trouble (see my Merlot acid additions thread from 2006)

there wasn't much choice in this matter as the grapes were grown so far north they naturally contain a lot of acid.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• lol, don't fret, i'm not thinking of anything like adding a tonne of TA to wine to ease the racking process. more like thinking hey, kinda neat science, first a sediment slowly drops, next crystals form on top of the sediment. now the stuff on top of the crystals can be easily removed and the sediment is isolated. what applications can such simple events be used for. I haven't put any thought into it at all yet, just your observation is neat. who knows with a teak here and an adjustment there it could be used for coating surfaces and then protecting them or whatever. dont get hung up on the detail, there's a problem out there for which this could be a solution.
      To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
      A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        Racked 10 gallons of Seyval

I have never seen a wine throw so much acid during fermentation
        Bob, I've noticed that hybrid grapes have this tendency. They start out very acidic, but give up the acid quite easily. Whereas with vinifera varieties you might get just a light dusting of crystals on the bottom and sides of the carboys during cold stabilizing, hybrids more often leave a thick layer of the stuff.
        Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by ms67 View Post

that sounds good! have you made this before?
          No.

It is OK, but still tastes unfinished and a bit harsh. I won't be touching it for another 6 months at least.

I made this one the traditional way - fermenting on the pulp (but you don't get much pulp with rhubarb, so maybe it ought to be 'fermenting on the lumps').

It has taken 14 months to become vaguely drinkable. I made another batch using Colin Tweed's freeze-thaw method, from the same batch of rhubarb, and not only was it immediately drinkable, but it was pronounced 'the best white I have ever tried' by a friend (mind you, he is from Middlesborough ).

IMHO Colin Tweed's method is the way to go with rhubarb. Search this Forum for more details (or let me know if you can't find them).
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
            No.

IMHO Colin Tweed's method is the way to go with rhubarb. Search this Forum for more details (or let me know if you can't find them).
            thanks muchly, i'll check that out.
            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• search on youtube type in winesathome and you will get access to all the video tutorials
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                search on youtube type in winesathome and you will get access to all the video tutorials
                cheers, will do.

Comment

• I am just about to rack my second run red fruit wine...
                  Dont ya just love insomnia ??
                  Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• waiting, as patiently as I can, for the black cherry to clear
                    “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                    Groucho Marx

Comment

• I have just moved a dozen DJs out of the dining room and front room into a spare bedroom, so Mrs. G can put the decorations up this evening.

Bah, humbug
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

• You could have had tinsel clad DJs
                        Groucho Marx

Comment

• I did suggest that. I got The Look
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Not 'the look'?!
                            Groucho Marx

Comment

• Yes ..... THE Look
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• is that the "cold icy stare" whilst forming a hens bottom with the lips, and a sharp intake of air through the nose?

dont recognise that at all
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X