Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and is it me.....or are women born with the ability to tut and sigh really loudly?
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• ok..... i'll moderate myself!

N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I've been told to remove the ast few demijons from the kitchen. The winery is a little crowded with car parts at the moment. Hoepfully it'll be all tidied up by this time next week!

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
          Yes ..... THE Look

You poor sod!
          “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
          Groucho Marx

Comment

• Just finished making a snowman costume for my 5 gal dj so I don't have to disturb it through the holiday. Maybe next year I can add a few more and make them carollers with Christmas music playing behind them.
            Hootus est

Comment

• so long as you give them names
              “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
              Groucho Marx

Comment

• discussions about who gets what bottles for an xmas gift, soon to be followed by bottling and for the first time, some serious blending!
                To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Taking lots of SGs. I have a few DJs quitting in the 0.996 - 8 range, which is odd.
                  Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Sterilising beer bottles and bottling 40 pints of beer - hated job! Degassing a Beaverdale Sauvignon Blanc kit, then starting a Solomon Grundy Gold kit in the hope it will be nice (first go at a rose kit)
                    www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                      ....then starting a Solomon Grundy Gold kit in the hope it will be nice (first go at a rose kit)
                      Let us know how it turns out (Kit Reviews section).

EDIT: Oh! You have done that already
                      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                        Taking lots of SGs. I have a few DJs quitting in the 0.996 - 8 range, which is odd.
                        I have exactly the same, no movement at all on quite a few at .996

Racking a red grape, racking a blackberry both before stabilising and sweetening slightly. SG test on a strawberry to do.
                        With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

• Just racked and stabilised a blueberry melomel...

1 gal orange melomel and 1 of orange wine still fermenting...

1 of of Apple, 1 of blackcurrant, 1 of ginger to bottle after ageing...

All a waiting game now, need to start some more to keep me busy

On an unfortunate note I got made redundant last week , if there are any jobs going I'll be happy to help
                          ex ovo omnia
                          Chemist, welder, homebrewer

Comment

• More bentonite today. Tomorrow the last of the carboys will go in the garage for cold stabilizing... if I can find a place for them amidst all the junk. I also ran malic tests on everything. All wines have now completed MLF, save two.
                            Steve

Comment

• Steve, i've read elsewhere on this forum that using sorbate with wines that have undergone MLF results in the dreaded geranium fault. so how do you properly stabilise such wines?
                              To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                              A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ms67 View Post
                                Steve, i've read elsewhere on this forum that using sorbate with wines that have undergone MLF results in the dreaded geranium fault. so how do you properly stabilise such wines?
                                Wines that have undergone MLF are safe from geranium, it is a reaction between malo lactic bacteria and sorbate if wines are sorbated pre MLF.
                                If you suspect a wine will or is undergoing MLF then stabalise with sulphite only & only sweeten with artifitial sweetener or add Lysozyme which will prevent MLF.
                                If you have no intention to sweeten then you do not need to sorbate.
                                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                                National Wine Judge
                                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                                X