Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you haven't already get it out of your car and take it inside to warm up a little...

A battery charger should only cost you £20 which would be better than forking out for a new one if you don't have too...
    ex ovo omnia
    Chemist, welder, homebrewer

Comment

• thats another option

cheers

in fact i think i will walk to the hardware store now and purchase one (i need one anyway)
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• do they sell engine block heaters over there in Germany? They work great if you remember to plug them in at night.
        Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post

will wait and see cost of battery here (halfords want 94 UK pounds)
          Do you know anyone local to home with a Halfords trade card? you get quite a good discount on batteries (and a good discount on other stuff for car) I'm surprised you can't blag your local store to give you a card.. (I'd offer, but it's a bit of a trek)

Warming the battery up is a good idea (as could be a heater belt around it for a while if you can get an extension lead to reach)

My battery is getting charged often at the moment, with it being a short trip to work and always with the lights/heater etc on.

Good luck!

Comment

• I get a great discount at the HiQ garage next to where i work (they do the tyres and batteries for our driving school cars) so just need to get home...just went outside and it fired up, so may just invest in jump leads, and use Martinas battery power, picking M up from work and going for a drive

but I fear i have led the thread....

But i did bottle 5 gal of wine today
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
              Good luck. Don't say you weren't warned.

Here's what old Jack Keller has to say on the subject:
              http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/watermel.asp

Gordons alive! Seems to be I have melon wine on the way - needs a red grape method and the LAVIN kvf11113er*£%^&*654561728394 whateveritis seems to have recovered form the freezer and is going V well.
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Omniata View Post
                If you haven't already get it out of your car and take it inside to warm up a little...

A battery charger should only cost you £20 which would be better than forking out for a new one if you don't have too...
                I bought a CTEK charger with a recondition option on it - AND IT DOES!! Amazing. It does it by blasting it with a higher voltage. (Most batteries die because they grow crystals like hairs between the plates - creating a short - a bigger voltage burns them off (like burning a fuse))

Spensive charger but has alreadyr ecycled three batteries - not to mention the other stuff it does.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Brought in 5 gallon of Amerone to warm up in the kitchen for a few days whilst I'm on shift. I'll then make sure it is degassed before bottling at the end of the week!

Comment

• using new steam juicer to juice loads of fruit in freezer, they are amazing
                    http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                    http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

• Finally put all of the bottles I recently filled into the wine rack to mature.
                      “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                      Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by kampervan View Post
                        using new steam juicer to juice loads of fruit in freezer, they are amazing

I just love mine.....
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Lots of stuff going on in my winery today. I am doing some racking, testing for malo completion (2 wines hadn't finished last time I checked), blending, and sulphiting.
                          Steve

Comment

• I'm getting ready to turn to page 2 of WAH Making My Own Wine manual!

I enjoy making my own wine because it's a country kitchen craft that was forced upon peasants because the water was so bad; same with beer and cider.

That's what I love about this place, there's a place for everyone. Okay, I have to stand at the bottom of the hill and look up to some of you guys , but that's okay. Mrs wisp still wanted my wines for the Christmas table .

So with the West Side Story song of There's A Place For Us ringing in my ears, I wish you all a happy new year.

“Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                            Groucho Marx

Comment

• still using juicer its great, found bottom of freezer not seen since aug. need apple and grape juice in new year. all the best for 2010
                              http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                              http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

• Racking and stabilising:

cherry wine kit - it tastes promising, tho i think most folk wouldnt notice it was cherry, will be interesting to see how those flavours develop over the coming weeks and months.

Rose petal wine - has a faint whiff of the bad egg smell, so its got some copper wire in it and is being shaken about a bit. will take it out after 30 mins or so, is this enough time, or should i do it some more another day? On the positive side it has a wonderful colour and definately some flavours from the petals, reminiscent of turkish delight.

Mint wine - clearing very slowly, this one may need some finings but will give it time yet.

Planning on getting 3 gallons of green tea & ginger on the go later ... tho its getting late enough already!
                                To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                                A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Working...
                                X