This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ooooh! spritzer ....

please spill the beans on the result of your pineapple number 1.
    pineapple is a wine i wanted to make for some time, as is wine number 1, so here is a 2 birds/1 stone opp for me.

Steve, how about getting some really flimsy shelves for your empties, then when shelves look like they they are gonna give up that's when you get into action. that'll be my number 1 tip in my bestselling book titled "sophisticated, scientific, artisan wine-making" coming from my own experience
    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Tidying up for me today in the cellar/garage. Sorting out of wine racks and labelling the ends of bottles so I know what's in them. It's all now nice and neat

Grapefest wine has the heater belts turned on again so it can warm up ready to be vacuum racked next week.

Comment

• Originally posted by ms67 View Post
        ooooh! spritzer ....

please spill the beans on the result of your pineapple number 1.
        pineapple is a wine i wanted to make for some time, as is wine number 1, so here is a 2 birds/1 stone opp for me.
        The pineapple wine always turns out well...
        I make it as wine number 1, substituting the apple juice for pineapple juice.
        I also add a tsp of pectolase per gallon, as the juice is thicker, and I find I get bette results with this addition.
        I also slightly back sweeten, back up to about 1.000, which seems to bring out the flavour
        My sister's in law love it
        Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Also started a batch of Riesling yesterday.

Riesling gives off wonderful aromas when it ferments. My wine room smells like honey right now.
          Steve

Comment

• many thanks spritzer, i'll be doing 2 wine number 1's now and pineapple will be one of them. i copied & pasted your recommendations (pectolase etc) and will use that info. really quite excited about getting them on the go now.
            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• so apart from pondering future brews ...
              bottled a gallon of beaverdale shiraz. Still not quite right but getting better.
              racked the youngs blackcherry kit, just a gallon ... looking forward to this one in a couple or a few months.

Comment

• Nothing happening today

I'm behind the counter at hobbywine supplies today, covering for Karl

(I'm excited as it means I dont need an axcuse to talk winemaking all day)
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Although not beloved by many at WAH , I was in Lidl yesterday and found parsnips and carrots at 39p per kilo. I've always wanted to have a go at parsnip sherry and carrot whiskey so I bought some. Well, I have to get it out of my system and if I don't try I'll never know for myself.

So, today, I'm seeking out wine recipes for both of these roots and intend to make a start today or tomorrow. I must admit, I'm looking forward to it.
                  “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                  Groucho Marx

Comment

• Oh no!

another one turned to the dark side by Wurzel

(ask him for his sweet parsnip recipe )
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• I was judging at Chantry wine circle on Wednesday, and the winning sweet white was a stunning example, so of course I scrounged the recipe......

turns out it was a blend of the following 2 wines

Wine1

Orange & Peach Social Wine
                      Recipe :-
                      2lb tin Peaches in Syrup
                      1 lb Sultanas (soaked in hot water)
                      2 lb Oranges
                      1 Lemon
                      1 lb Bananas
                      1 kg sugar to start with
                      ½ teaspoon malic acid
                      1 teaspoon Tartaric acid
                      1 teaspoon pectolase
                      ¼ teaspoon tannin
                      Gervin No 3 yeast
                      Yeast nutrient

Method :-
                      Peel and slice bananas then boil for 30 minutes. Strain juice into sterilised bucket. Scrub oranges and lemon and peel carefully (zest - no white pith) then squeeze the oranges & lemon to extract the juice. Put zest into bucket along with juices, liquidised peaches, chopped sultanas and sugar. Make up to 7 pints, stir in additives and add yeast. Cover and leave in bucket for 3 days stirring twice daily. Strain into demijohn, topping up with water when foaming subsides. When fermentation stops rack off and sweeten as required and finally add 1 campden tablet.

Wine2

Based on Table White Dry class winner at Scarborough 1989

from YFAWB Silver Jubilee book of recipes

Ingredients

1 Litre Del Monte Apple Juice
                      1 Litre White Grape Juice
                      1.lb 2oz. Sultanas
                      1.lb 10oz. Sugar
                      1 tsp Citric Acid
                      1 tsp yeast nutrient
                      Gervin No3 Yeast

Method
                      • Dissolve the sugar in approx 2 pints of hot water then let it stand to cool down.
                      • Liquidize or blitz the sultanas using a little warm water if required then place them in a fermenting bucket.
                      • Add the Apple Juice and also the sugar syrup (when it’s cooled to blood heat) to the fermenting bucket. Then stir-in the citric acid and the yeast nutrient and top up to the 6 pint mark with aired water.
                      • Make up a yeast starter as per instruction on yeast packet and leave for 15 minutes
                      • When yeast starter is ready add it to the fermenting bucket, stirring gently.
                      • Cover the bucket and leave to ferment stirring twice per day (morning and evening).
                      • After 5 days rack off the pulp and add the grape juice. Top up the demi-john to the shoulder.
                      • Ferment out under an air-lock, topping up to the neck with tepid water as soon as fermentation allows.
                      • Stabilise, fine and filter as necessary.
                      20% of wine 1 and 80% of wine 2

so I'm off to the supermarket on the way home
                      Last edited by lockwood1956; 23-01-2010, 05:03 PM.
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• I have managed to rack, filter and bottle 5 DJs of assorted brews, rack and filter 5 gals of Grapefest 2nd run, rack a homemade fruit Merlot and add Lysozyme (finally. Bob ).

This evening I'll be racking, filtering and bottling 2 gals of Lychee, and bottling the Grapefest 2nd run.

I should end up with 70+ bottles filled.
                        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• AH!

Lychee wine...i have the ingredients for a 6 gallon batch, so may start that too

this batch will make 2 gal dry white, 2 gal med white, and (perhaps) 1 gal white sweet and 1 gal social white.
                          all destined for this years comps.....
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            Oh no!

another one turned to the dark side by Wurzel

(ask him for his sweet parsnip recipe )

Just thought I'd have a go like, y'know wharra mean? At 39p per kilo, it was the perfect opportunity. I'll let you know what I think of it in about 18 months time .

So how about it Wurzel? May I have a wee gander at your sweet parsnip recipe?
                            Groucho Marx

Comment

• wisp, this is my recipe/method for parsnip wine
                              http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...t=parsnip+wine

Bob may be right about the ginger and lemon/zest masking the parsnip flavour, but regardless its one of the best liked wines that i made last year, its not sherry like and is dry(ish). You may want to adjust sugar levels downwards a bit, unless you like strongish wine of course.

edit: this one is ready within a year, but of course its likely to get better with time.

Comment

• Cheers.

I was going to pm you later to ask if I could take a peek.

I think I have enough parsnips to try a few recipes, so I will certainly take a look and bookmark it.
                                Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X