Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hold on there Bob! Don't worry! Or, as we say in Liverpool, calm down!

I think OB is referring to the fact that I am diabetic and the amount of sugar would be a bad move for me.
    “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
    Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      EEK!

I'm hoping you mean a recipe for Ginger-nuts and not a ginger-nut wine recipe?
      Can you imagine trying to filter the biscuit mush?
      Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by wisp View Post
        Or, as we say in Liverpool, calm down!
        were you also doing the hand gestures?
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

were you also doing the hand gestures?
          What hand gestures Bob?
          Groucho Marx

Comment

• muslin bags are good stuff wisp, cheap too (tho i still re-use mine, waste not want not etc, after a wash, rinse, sterilise etc whatever is needed). You will need to turn them once daily tho, or more often, as the upper/exposed surface will get nasty if you dont. i stir them in for a while each time to make sure there is a daily flow through them. and of course the less full they are the more they'll release the flavours of the stuff they encase.
            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• This evening I are been mostly labelling the 75 ish bottles of wine which was bottled over the weekend.
              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• This morning I racked and sulfited my German-style Riesling, and then buried the carboy outside in a snow bank. I'm expecting that fermentation will stop around 10-12% alcohol, leaving 120-130 g/L of residual sugar.

...or at least that's the plan.
                Steve

Comment

• It might be worth making another batch minus the sugar, then blending. Adding acid should reduce the apparent sweetness.
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

• It probably wouldn't hurt - add a little at a time, and quit when you think you haven't quite added enough.
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

• today was just general "stirring"

house smells of fermentation.....yum scrum

sugar additions to one of the experimental fruit addition timeline batches
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

today was just general "stirring"
                        Instead of stirring Bob, get on with some jobs in the winery will yer?!
                        Groucho Marx

Comment

• lol

well, better stirring than stir crazy!!!!
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Did a little bit of tidying up, ready for the upcoming vac rackathon on Thurs/Friday.

Comment

• Racked 5 gals of MFK.

JUST managed to get all the bottles from the weekend's bottling on my racks. Just.
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Today I finally got round to building the shelves for my new "winery" aka the shed we inherited with the house. Got a nice and sturdy solid wood base with three shelves each taking 9 DJs.

Then I realised that somehow during the move the labels had fallen off some of the existing demijohns. Now I have five elderberry variant wines that I have no idea what they are. The 10lb one should be fairly easy to spot, and I'm hoping I'll be able to tell the difference between the year old gallons and the few-month old one. I'm not so sure I'll notice the difference between the straight elderberry, elder&blackberry and elderberry ports.

Also racked the dandelion and rhubarb wines (one of each) and tied the labels to the demijohn handles

Comment

Working...
                                X