This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ohbeary
    It's OK Bob, I make sure to go along, just to make sure that the "Chiffon Ballgown Fiasco" is never repeated!!

ooooooooooooooooooooo

Now I need to know the "Chiffon Ballgown Fiasco" story
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      I looked after the shop for Karl for two days, and I spent the whole time fighting an urge to buy things
      You shouldn't have dude, my takings might have been through the roof
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Well!, Wisp and I were at this do, and his gown got caught in the trombone players music stand, he was not happy and we had to exit rapidly through the kitchens!, being chased through Hartlepool by irate cooks and waiters dressed in a monkey suit accompanied by a big bloke in a chiffon ballgown is not as funny as it sounds!, however having sought refuge on a fishing boat and escaped to Belgium we got jobs as fritte sellers to earn our passage home, having gained sufficient funds we embarked on a small drifter for Brixham, Wisp's gown was by now in tatters and smelling strongly of chip fat, my monkey suit was immaculate having used the greater part of our earnings on dry cleaning!, however after gaining more funds by filleting fish on the quayside by day and selling Wisp's favours by night we accrued sufficient cash to purchase railway tickets to our respective abodes, mine being closer I naturally traveled first class, Wisp residing at some greater distance was reduced to riding in the baggage car, apparently his journey was not pleasant, but safe to say when the early mackerel express arrived at Lime street, he was still alive and wearing a canary yellow chiffon ballgown!.

For some strange reason my dear friend has not spoken to me since our great adventure!, I thought we had a jolly good time!.

DISCLAIMER! none of the above is even remotely true or accurate and was entirely concocted for the amusement of Bob, who did ask!!

er!, sorry La

'Ere! You look after yer twin set and pearls
        “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
        Groucho Marx

Comment

DISCLAIMER! none of the above is even remotely true or accurate and was entirely concocted for the amusement of Bob, who did ask!!

I did.....

and it did
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Well got lots of tidying done in the cellar and winemaking area today, also racked and bottled 2 gallons blackberry elderberry, racked and sweetened to medium 2 gallons of oulins gage (yellow plums) , racked the orange and peach social white (and sugar fed with sugar syrup)

started a new batch
            6 1lb jars morello cherries
            4 1lb jars blackcurrants
            4 tins apricot halves
            2 litres WGC
            4 litres WGJ
            2 litresa apple juice
            1 kilo sultanas
            3 kilos sugar
            9 tsp pectolase
            3 tsp Vitamon ultra nutrient
            6 tsp tartaric acid
            water to 27.5 litres
            Gervin No3 yeast

Starting gravity 1.090...(wanted to start at 1.080 but got carried away, and now no space to dilute)

once the sugars are released from the fruits, this should be a very rich and fulsome desseret style red. The fruit sugars will release steadily through fermentation, so im not to worried about stuck ferments, i will stir the snot out of it every day for four days, and then likely rack from gross lees. Will ferment to 1.020 rack, add a little more nutrient, and sugar feed till the yeasties die out (around 18% - 19% alc im thinking) then will sweeten to around 1.050.
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Forgot to add...I will add Elderberry juice (steamed last year) a little later in the ferment, to add colour and complexity.

will also fire up a No1 style batch and add the fruit pulp to it, should get a nice rose.
              Last edited by lockwood1956; 05-02-2010, 07:29 PM.
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Bottling today: '09 Viognier, and the last of the '08 Cabernet.
                Steve

Comment

• Long day at work today, but been busy since I got home...

racked and stabilised 1 gal apple elderflower, 1 gal Pear and elderflower (yummy)

put on 1 gallon Karls Citrus aperitif (recipe in winning wine recipes section )

racked the late fruit addition experiment wines

started
                  1/2 gal Lemoncillo (mmmmmmmm)
                  1/2 gal orange liqueur
                  1/2 gal morello cherry liqueur
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• shopping for 2 batches of wine number 1. the first with pineapple juice, the second with pomegranate .... sadly all the juices like pomegranate, cranberry, blackcurrent were either loaded with preservatives or made from concentrate. didnt fancy any variations with pear, orange, apple etc. so we opted to try one with pomegranate from concentrate @ 35%. no preservatives etc (except vit C), any tips?
                    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Nothing today, because I have been working away from home, but was:

a) relieved to find the yeast in my Lychee had decided to get on with it,

b) baffled by OB's trombone/Hartlepool post. I'll ltry reading it again when completely alcohol free

Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Bottling is finished. Just slurping up some of the Cab leftovers.

Our annual club wine competition is next week, so tonight I am going to prep and label my entries.

(provided I don't drink too many Cab leftovers)
                        Steve

Comment

Please ignore Trombone/Hartlepool post, just not worth your attention!,
                          I chose to ignore your advice and I read it again. Unfortunately, laughing has made my hangover worse
                          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Today. swirled the lemon, cherry and orange liqueurs..

started new batches of beaverdale Chablis blush 1 gallon
                            1 gal JAOM
                            1 Gal IKEA Blueberry soup wine (triple dose of pectolase)
                            1 gallon Citrus (hoping to make a nice sweet white from it but we will see)

have dragged (this morning) 5 gal Kenridge Ltd edition grenache mouverdre
                            and 5 gal WE Ltd edition Maipo valley Chilean cabernet sauvignon, that will get racked (filtered if necessary) and bottled after I have finished my late lunch.

Productive day indeed
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• I also have 500ml freshly squeezed lemon juice im trying to work out what to do with
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                                I also have 500ml freshly squeezed lemon juice im trying to work out what to do with
                                Save it for pancake day?
                                With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Working...
                                X