Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• following on from advice in WaH i bottled my 2 month old youngs blackcherry kit. its quite yummy, a bit lacking in acid for my tastes, so would that make it fit the description of being "soft" flavoured? otherwise it seems to me to be a nice drop of wine, light, came out medium, definately ready to drink, and you can taste the cherries tho may miss them if you didnt know it was cherry wine. perhaps that's a good thing? i'll certainly enjoy drinking the rest of it and i suspect the better half may request more.
    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• just racked my amazingly clear rose petal wine. great colour to it, very pale but beautiful. i hope it doesnt brown with age, so its in a dark DJ as it has been since starting. the taste isn't doing anything for me however. its pretty floral, slightly peppery (white pepper), perhaps even a bit dusty/tickley on the throat (thats what i taste in white pepper anyway). Perhaps this is due to the 1/4 tspoon of tannin i added? any thoughts? i suspect it needs some months yet.
      To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
      A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• certainly does help OB, cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by ohbeary
          probably not the tannin, floral wines can catch in the throat!, like floral perfumes! needs time to settle!, citrus is usually good with flower wines, hope that helps
          How do you know? You can't even get the cork out!
          “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
          Groucho Marx

Comment

• started 3 gallons of a wine number 1, using a mixed pineapple (93%) and passion fruit (7%) pressed juice instead of the apple. OG 1082. yeast vintner's harvest MA33.

Comment

• Carrot wine stopped bubbling and gave me a final sg of .988 (13%). Added 5 campden and 5 stabilising powder. Parsnip still going strong - had a lot more sugar - and the nettle appears to be on form too.
              Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by ohbeary
                Stingin
                Nah, I used tea bags
                Groucho Marx

Comment

• Still struggling with a 5 gal batch of wine no.1. It is struggling to get below 1.012. I have a range of wines all using Gervin D (same source, not same sachet) which are all a bit sluggish, so I suspect an iffy batch. Fermentations with K1V are going fine, so I don't think my techniques have suddenly gone wrong.

So, the Wine No.1 had a good old battering to get sone O2 into it, and a little nutrient.

Apart from that, just the usual never-ending job of cleaning bottles
                  Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Added finings A and B [Youngs] after racking my carrot wine. Put both my parsnip and my nettle onto airlocks
                    Groucho Marx

Comment

• Lots of racking and topping up today

also pruned all of my Vines, was hoping to take cuttings from the cabernet vine and plant, but the growth was too spindly

hacked a lot of the vines back to two buds, to establish good root system, some though had put on considerable growth and were treat as 2nd year vines and tied to the bottom wire.
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Also did lots of weeding
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Nah, he's got floodlights, heaters and everyfink!
                          Groucho Marx

Comment

• Getting a starter going - it looks like my 5 gal Wine No.1 has stuck. Weird.
                            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Pete...

did those packets of 71B ever get hot, or did you store them in the fridge...

It would seem that one batch we got did contain a few dud's. they all (bar 1) worked ok for me (stored in fridge) but M had a couple of non starters too.
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Finally got around to starting an Apple Icewine today. I have 6 gallons of juice from October that's been in the freezer.

I'm also doing the first filtering of a Beerenauslese style Riesling that I stopped fermentation on three weeks ago.
                                Last edited by NorthernWiner; 15-02-2010, 05:55 PM.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X