Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hehe, good luck with the parsnip wine, you may take a leaf outta the book methods/recipes of those who like it to improve your chances ... or you may not. they are jolly good roasted, and also a very good price for experimenting with ..... and you can use them for eating after parboiling for brewing. but it is a fiddley brew and if you havent got lucky with early attempts then no-one could blame you for giving up. as for me, well it goes down well in this house with guests and residents. so my tip is sauternes yeast, some citrus (both juice and zest) very careful sizing/handling during boiling/simmering ... and some ginger, tho don't overdo it otherwise it wont be parsnip.

three cheers for bravery!
    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Thanks - all advice gratefully received
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by ohbeary
        Please excuse me if I disagree, this is my territory, parboil your parsnips, drain and toss in butter with honey, salt and fresh ground black pepper, heat lard/goose/duck fat in a roasting tin, pour over nip's toss and return to pan, roast @ 200C til golden!, eat, preferably with roast beef( Forerib), steamed savoy cabbage, boiled carrots, roast pot's(Maris Piper, King Edward or Whites) and some good gravy!(you know what I mean! proper gravy, not bisto).

mmmmmmmmm

now you're talking
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Bottled 2.5 gals of 2nd run Merlot (Wine No.1 base). A nice, darkk rosé.

Experimented with sweetening my Fruit Merlot (yet another 2nd run - tinned strawberry + raspberry + merlot skins). This is my version of the Niagara Mist Raspberry Merlot, and I think it's going to be decent
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• racking, degassing and stabilising the pineapple version of my wine number 1.

the pineapple juice included 7% passion fruit, not quite your version OB but we'll have fractions of passion fruit to compare
            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• A couple of SG checks.

I have pruned my vines (well, the vines I'm looking after for Rich). I have tried to tame them, so they are now 2ft long sticks, tied to the bottom wire of the trellis. Fingers crossed
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                A couple of SG checks.

I have pruned my vines (well, the vines I'm looking after for Rich). I have tried to tame them, so they are now 2ft long sticks, tied to the bottom wire of the trellis. Fingers crossed
                Looking after??? I'm in no hurry for them back, they'll never grow in up here. Just let me know when the grapes are going to be ready

Comment

• Doing a little bottle dressing today on some of the newly bottled 2009s (I don't label all my bottles - only about half of them)

From left to right: Gewürztraminer, Grenache Rosé, Sangiacomo Vineyard Chardonnay, and a yet-to-be labeled Columbia Gorge Late Harvest Riesling

Steve

Comment

• 2009 Gewürztraminer

Steve

Comment

• Steve, hehe, if we couldn't tell already that you REALLY enjoy making wine then we know for sure now. Were you polishing surfaces and lining up bottles for very long

Seriously, looks great, nice one!

Comment

• Imagine what Steve's going to be like when he's got a little more experience? The wine looks brilliant Ace!
                        “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                        Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by ohbeary
                          Steve can we have a caption please, can't make out the lable, look's stunning, very proffesional.
                          Here's the Gewurz label

Steve

Comment

• ... and this is the one for the Riesling (which is very nice, by the way)

Steve

Comment

• Started 5 gallons of Cranberry and Blueberry and 5 gallons of Christmas Tea wine.
                              “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                              Groucho Marx

Comment

• Thanks guys!
                                Last edited by NorthernWiner; 06-03-2010, 03:30 AM.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X