Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's a shame - as you have probably gathered it makes a very pleasant wine.

Anyway ....

I was working on Saturday, so today is my weekend:

Bottled my first batch of experimental Low Alcohol Wine No.1.

Racked, degassed & stabilised 5 gals of MFK

Bottled 1/2 gal of Fruit Merlot (basically strawberry & raspberry wine with Merlot skins, low-ish alcohol and sweetened a bit). I was going to sweeten the main 5 gal batch but it needs racking and filtering and I have run out of time today.

Checked by DJs of restarted Wine No.1. SGs are all dropping: not quickly, but they are dropping, so fingers crossed that I have saved them.

Racked, degassed and stabilised a gallon of tinned strawberry (late fruit addition, which has made a dramatic difference).

Racked a gallon of elderberry/blackberry/chocolate. The chocolate was a shameless rip-off of one of Rich's wines. I just added a couple of tsp of cocoa powder to the wine post-ferment. Pretty good even at this young stage, but I have also quadrupled the oak (fingers crossed).

Scratching my head over my Rondo - Bob you'll have a PM soon

Brought my Chocolate Raspberry Port kit in from the cold garage to warm up, ready to start tomorrow. You don't add water to it, so the bag of juice must be up to room temperature before you start.

I think that will do today (apart from tidying up the house before SWMBO gets home).

Oh, I must dig out a parsnip recipe because I am starting tomorrow
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Racked, filtered and bottled Diane's Sauv Blanc and Chablis Blush Filtered and bottled a gallon of Citrus Aperitif, racked the peach & pineapple, racked the Merlot from Grapefest and put a Lager kit on.
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
        I wouldn't know a lychee if I sat on one (apparently my spell check is also blissfully ignorant, as it's telling me "lychee" isn't a word found in American English). I also have had no luck finding either juice or tinned lychees in the market over here.

(On a side note, in the unusual fruits department I found prickly pear cactus juice. I've thought about fermenting it. )
        i've seen lychee spelled litchi, you might try that. as for where to find them if you have a chinese or asian supermarket or deli then you'll find them there.
        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Weeded the 'vineyard' (i.e. 8 vines ).

Getting my Choc Raspberry Port kit going this afternoon. I'll also be Racking my Rondo and Peeling my Parsnips.
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
            Weeded the 'vineyard' (i.e. 8 vines ).

Getting my Choc Raspberry Port kit going this afternoon. I'll also be Racking my Rondo and Peeling my Parsnips.
            peeling parsnips .... if this is for wine making you may want to consider thoroughly scrubbing rather than peeling. its more work, but i think it helps the slices stay together and not go to mush as quickly.
            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• I know, but I needed to practice my alliteration
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• rofl, i missed that!

Comment

I know, but I needed to practice my alliteration
                  peeling parsnips poses problems
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                    peeling parsnips poses problems
                    Peeling parsnips produces pukey punch
                    HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• Procrastinating Postponed the Parsnip Processing.
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

• poor parsnip processing produces poo (but then so does good parsnip processing)
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Started on my parsnip wine.

Cleaned a few bottles.

Found some bottles I forgot I had
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

started on my parsnip wine.
                            rofl

Comment

• Pete, Any Amalayse in with the recipe? Isn't it for converting the starch in to fermentable sugar? I've not seen in mentioned in parsnip or rice wine recipes.

Comment

• None in the recipe, which is just as well because I don't have any

I might try to acquire some though.
                                Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                X