• Originally posted by spritzer View Post
    I need to find my wine making mojo again
    I have lost it for a few whiles
    When that happens, think of this ...
    Attached Files
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• started 2 gallon rubicon lychee, 1 rubicon watermelon, 1 pomegranate and 1 trpoicana kids strawberry and raspberry
      http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
      http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

• I'm really interested in the watermelon. Will you keep us informed about this. I saw the Rubicon Watermelon on sale in Lidl and I wondered if it would make a nice wine.
        “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
        Groucho Marx

Comment

• sure was the same as you saw it and thought why not try that. the lychee makes a lovely drink

Comment

• What will you do, make it as a #1 wine? If so, won't the grape juice drown the delicate watermelon flavour? Or just make it as an out and out watermelon wine? If so, will you give it body by adding wheat or banana juice or something?
            Groucho Marx

Comment

• made as wine no1 with the watermelon as extra juice. will wait and see. the lychee worked just fine. so only time will tell

Comment

• Now that the winery has dried out I've moved all the DJs back in there, nice to be able to see the dining table again
                With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

• another beaverdale shiraz started up, just a gallon sadly
                  To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                  A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Have you ever had a couple of days where you just can't get anything done that you want to. I have a couple of wines in primary fermenters that are screaming out to be moved on - so much so, they'll ferment themselves right the way through soon, climb out and bottle themselves!
                    Groucho Marx

Comment

• I'm SURE I posted yesterday. Maybe I've been Moderated

Anyway, I got my Ltd Ed Trio Blanca kit on yesterday. I was surprised there was oak in the kit. I was also surprised how dark the must went in the fermenter - it looks like 5 gallons of Boddingtons.

Today - chaptalising my Choc Rasp Port, then .... nothing
                      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Finally tidied up the wine shed yesterday so I can get to things again.

Today I've brought all nine of the wines that I moved house with back in November into the kitchen to have a good look. The outside of every demijohn is covered in mould spots which is slightly worrying, but all the airlocks are intact and I can't see anything wrong with the insides of the glass. Most need racking so going to leave them to settle for a few hours.

Also made up a starter for the gallon of birch sap which is defrosting.

Comment

• 5 gallons of lager and 2 gallons of peach & pineapple wine bottled. Starting a KenRidge Chardonnay, an Island Mist Peach & Apricot Chardonnay and a couple of wine #1 variants.
                          National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                            I'm SURE I posted yesterday. Maybe I've been Moderated

Anyway, I got my Ltd Ed Trio Blanca kit on yesterday. I was surprised there was oak in the kit. I was also surprised how dark the must went in the fermenter - it looks like 5 gallons of Boddingtons.

Today - chaptalising my Choc Rasp Port, then .... nothing
                            What does chaptalising mean?
                            Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by wisp View Post
                              What does chaptalising mean?
                              Chaptalizing means adding sugar.
                              Steve

Comment

• Tidied up in the garage today, and disgorged 2 full bottles of sparkly. As a bit of an experiment I've sweetened them up with very sweet 'dosage' added as a top up. I'll now leave it to make sure it doesn't start fermenting again. The theory is that all the yeast has been shaken down and removed so it shouldn't ferment again.

To aid the process I've made a disgorging key. A normal crown cap remover you lift to remove the cap, this would leave your hand in the way of the ice plug, the 'key' operates the other way round with a downward force removing the crown cap. I use crown caps with a plastic underbung to contain the frozen yeast. (see blurred camera phone pics attached)

Also, being geeky, I weighed my empty champagne bottles to make sure they are all suitable for the next batch. Lucky all weighed in over 800g.

Some sg checks too on a big batch of lychee, small batch of lychee and the choc rasp port.. (which seems to not be moving down from 1.018 so it's had a good stir)
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X