• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
    Chaptalizing means adding sugar.
    Cheers NW
    “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
    Groucho Marx

Comment

• Finally racked my Cranberry and Billberry, and my Christmas Tea, into 5 gallon fermenters.
      Groucho Marx

Comment

• Wisp your Christmas Tea wine sounds interesting, is it spiced?, my leftover mixed fruit mixture recipe has a heaped teaspoon of mixed spice and is a devil to clear, it also uses teabags, could this be the cause?.

In my "Winery" (my kitchen) or Frankenstein's Laboratory as other half calls it, I am trying out the number one wine recipe with pineapple as one gallon and another one gallon with guava, a bit of a departure from "Marrow and Raisin"!.

Comment

• watching the beaverdale shiraz steadily and frothily get going .
          To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
          A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Originally posted by wendy View Post
            In my "Winery" (my kitchen) or Frankenstein's Laboratory as other half calls it, I am trying out the number one wine recipe with pineapple as one gallon and another one gallon with guava, a bit of a departure from "Marrow and Raisin"!.
            Wendy...
            From you previous posts, you seem to like a sweeter wine...
            The pineapple number one is a lovely one to start out with.
            I slightly back sweeten mine, to really bring out the pineapple flavour
            Let us know how it goes for you
            Carole
            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Eventually racked all of the wines yesterday, even with the slip-up of dropping the racking cane part way through doing the dandelion which successfully mixed everything up good and proper.

Also played with my new acid test kit (thanks Karl!) to try and figure out what I'm doing.

The birch sap is still defrosting, but the starter is fizzing nicely

Comment

• Originally posted by wendy View Post
                Wisp your Christmas Tea wine sounds interesting, is it spiced?, my leftover mixed fruit mixture recipe has a heaped teaspoon of mixed spice and is a devil to clear, it also uses teabags, could this be the cause?.

Okay, I see there have been some developments.

For anyone who is interested by the way, the Christmas tea is black tea, orange zest, spices and cinnamon. Whilst racking it, it did seem a little sharp so will probably need some time to mellow once I reach the point of bottling. I must admit though, it did remind me of Christmas.
                Groucho Marx

Comment

• Broke my hydrometer - and I was sober. The only other hydrometer I have is an old Boots one which has some brown staining at the joints which wouldn't scrub clean so I need to buy a new one in the morning.

Waiting for it, however, is 5 gallons of lychee and 5 gallons of cranberry and raspberry.
                  Groucho Marx

Comment

• Not much today - spent most of the afternoon listening to the airlock on the Trio Blanco fermenter hitting the rev-limiter
                    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Started my birch sap wine. Aimed for SG of 1.090 but hit 1.098 instead, put too much faith in numbers in tables!

Comment

• Originally posted by benarnold View Post
                        Started my birch sap wine. Aimed for SG of 1.090 but hit 1.098 instead, put too much faith in numbers in tables!

Your hydrometer is your friend
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• HEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPP!

I don't think I'm meant to do a lychee #1.

First of all my hydrometer got broken, now it looks as though there is mould floating on the top.

I started 2 wines at the same time; lychee and cranberry and raspberry. All of my equipment is scrubbed and sanitised before use. All ingredients were fresh, except that they had to wait a day until a new hydrometer was purchased and both wines had yeast pitched from the same starter bottle.

The C&R looks to be fine.

Advice would be gratefully accepted.
                          Groucho Marx

Comment

• Lychee No1????????

wine No1 is a juice only wine.......did you add the rubicon juice?

are you sure it is mould?
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• if it really is mould (and not odd type of creamy head formed by fermentation of unusual juice) then add 100ppm per gallon and let it rest......fermentation will stall, but will eventually restart

100ppm is 2 campden tablets per gallon......but take account of any campden tablets or sulphite solution that may already be present

anyone who has fermented this juice care to comment?
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Yes rubicon juice from Lidl.

Well, I think it is mould. It is a white frothy collection of bubbles with what appears to be a solid white bit and what looks to be green dots.
                                Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X