This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will do boss

Not sure if it will freeze in time - going out for a BBQ at 1, because apparently there is something interesting on the telly at 3.

EDIT: According to my calculations, a frozen litre of water will only reduce the temperature of 23 litres by 1c. Does that sound right to you?
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Thats too much geekery even for me Pete

I suspect it will do better than that....please post your results, will be interesting to see.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
        This morning I'm working out the best way to reduce the fermentation temperature of my. Kenridge petit verdot. It's at 26c, which is a bit warm for my liking.
        Pete, 26 C is not all that hot, IMHO. But if you want to quickly lower the temperature, what I've found works is to submerge the fermenting pail into a larger tub of ice water. I use a plastic washtub type container, but you could even use a bathtub I suppose.
        Steve

Comment

• Yikes

sorry misread it, thought it said 36 deg....I would think that under 30 is ok, in fact a fast hot ferment may be preferable for a red.
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Yes, I think 26 is OK, but a bit warm for my liking. I thought a fast fermentation was preferable for reds made from grapes, to minimise contact time etc., but I didn't realise it applied to kits too.

The 1 litre ice bomb appears to have dropped the temps a degree or two only, so I feel a bit more comfortable.
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• I was holding off doing my next beaverdale kit due to the high temps, might break it open after reading the above

Comment

• alternatively you can go lower-tech, more green, and not have to wait for ice or - should you lack freezer space - re-organise your freezer, and still achieve the same result. All thanks to the appliance of science.

cover your FV with wet towels and stand in a well ventilated spot, wet the towels before they dry out. in the very unlikely event that it doesnt work, add a fan or stone base. Cheap, cheerful, easy.

The inquisitive amongst you many want to dig out a school standard textbook to understand the why's and wherefore's. "Latent heat of evaporation/vaporisation" (depending on which side of the pond you live). wikipedia does a thorough job of giving the science tho you'll have to use your noggin a little to apply it. i'd recommend curiosity; science is full of such stuff that can be used everyday in brewing, not just for troubleshooting, saving labour/costs or exploding myths/bad practice etc.
                Last edited by ms67; 28-06-2010, 02:26 PM.
                To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Last night I bottled my beaverdale and also my first wn1. There was insufficient leftover of either to get a gnat tipsey so I have not sampled either

On a positive note, this leaves room to start the other beaverdale kit and possibly the mondego and another wn1 (varient).

Comment

• Bottling 2 gals of Wine No.1 today - straight into re-used wine boxes and flip-top bottles, nice and simple.
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Tasting this morning - Ciliegiolo from last year's GF, and a steam-juiced elderberry/blackberry.

Now, where's my oak?
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                        Tasting this morning - Ciliegiolo from last year's GF, and a steam-juiced elderberry/blackberry.

Now, where's my oak?
                        How much oak are you going to use? I usually like oakey wines, but after tasting the Cilie I think I'm goin to leave it as it is, so if you have any oaked ready for GF, I'd be interesed to taste it please.
                        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
                          How much oak are you going to use? I usually like oakey wines, but after tasting the Cilie I think I'm goin to leave it as it is, so if you have any oaked ready for GF, I'd be interesed to taste it please.
                          Noted.

I have some already oaked. Amounts are variable, because I tend to chuck it in and leave it a while, and one of my oak sources is a smashed up piece of old wine barrel from Rich

I'm trying to only lightly oak the Cilie, and maybe not oak one gallon at all, just for comparison.
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• pearl barley wine, the natural way.

Today i've just started 2 gal's of pearl barley wine.
                            i've just finished the last 2 gal's from last year.
                            this wine is very
                            To make 1 gal.
                            ingredients: country recipe.
                            pearl barley - 680gm.
                            potatoes - 454gm. Note: Discard peel and any green parts.
                            Raisins - 907gm.
                            sugar - 907gm.
                            Tea, strong - 1/2 cup.
                            Lemons - 3
                            Marmite - 1/4 tsp.
                            GP - yeast.
                            Note: this wine is best left for at least 12 months.

Comment

• Barley, potatoes, raisins, and Marmite?

I have to say that doesn't sound very appealing to me... at least not as a wine.

But as a meal... well, perhaps it might be okay with a bit of gravy over the top.
                              Steve

Comment

• Ditto...

that recipe is too old school for me I'm afraid

Marmite?...I use vitamin B1 in pure form Marmite is a poor substitute for yeast energiser
                                Potatoes?.... I dislike the starch taste
                                Barley? ...(see potatoes)
                                Raisins?...too much sherry like flavour
                                Tea?...I use grape tannin
                                GP yeast?...no it is the work of Satan

there looks to be too much sugar in there too, once the starch is released from the potatoes and the sugars from the barley and raisins, and the addition of 907g of sugar...I reckon your starting SG is in the region of 1.120...way too high this will produce wine that is very hot in the mouth due to the alc level being too high, also GP yeast will likely struggle to finish the ferment.

This is just my take on it, and my humble opinion, but if you make it and like it, then thats great, and more power to you, there are many ways and styles to make wine in, and there is room for them all.
                                Last edited by lockwood1956; 01-07-2010, 06:04 PM.
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X