Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not much in the brewery of late, though I did have to sneak in with £60 worth of malt and hops past the wife. So long as she doesn't look in the freezer or my malt buckets i should be safe!
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Comment

• Nothing much going on in my winery as of late. Just waiting for a good cold spell to hit so I can commence a batch of Muscat ice wine.
      Last edited by NorthernWiner; 02-12-2011, 04:21 PM. Reason: stoopid android keyboard
      Steve

Comment

• 2nd ML test was another partial success.

For some reason, the solvent took the 2cm spaced dots up the paper, gradually converging on a single point rather than running parallel to each other. No sign of any acid-specific slodges further up the paper.
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Pete,

Did you get any marking at all.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Nothing which makes any sense, just the pink streaks from the samples, and a few blue smudges low down.
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Actually .... there might be more to it. The paper has been sat in the garage all day, stinking it out. Now it has finished stinking I have brought it into the house and I am seeing a bit more definition in the tartaric and malic controls (but unfortunately not much with the wines themselves )
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Busy day today..

Pressed two second run kits, they are now in buckets, ready to be racked off gross lees tomorrow. Even cleaned the kitchen up afterwards.
                Bottled a gallon of Turbo Cider. Tastes like crap, but then I don't like cider much.
                Transferred a gallon of wine to secondary, removing the fruit.
                Made a beer yeast starter, now on the stir plate for a day till moving on to a bigger starter, then into some beer before Wednesday I hope.

Spent too long rummaging through my boxes of homebrew stuff, so I've brought them all inside to sort through tomorrow morning.

Comment

• MLF - Thanks Pete.

Off out to the shed to bottle some white (not for me I hasten to add!)
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Did some bottling last night - cheeky glass of each left over

Bottled very first wine No 1 - a bit dry to change to my permanent tipple (but very fruity and delicious).
                    Bottled very first wine number 2 - now were talking - This stuff is great
                    Bottled very first Christmas pud wine - mmm mmmm mmmmmm
                    Shouted at myself for running out of corks - got a wine no 1 (pineapple variant) to bottle also
                    Racked Lychee wine into secondary Demi John
                    Started a cherry port in the (now empty) bucket
                    topped up two Djs of Toffee apple cider experiment
                    topped up DJ's of cider, wine no 2 (cherry variant) and Beverdale Merlot
                    Discussed with the good lady the necessity of a proper bottle corker
                    Cleaned up kitchen and went to bed slightly merry

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                      Actually .... there might be more to it. The paper has been sat in the garage all day, stinking it out. Now it has finished stinking I have brought it into the house and I am seeing a bit more definition in the tartaric and malic controls (but unfortunately not much with the wines themselves )
                      Good job I didn't charge for these lol!

Did you try spotting the wine several times on the same spot letting it dry inbetween spottings? This should increase the concentration of the acids per spot.
                      Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                      Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                      -Police Squad

Comment

• I've got three plum wines from the summer showing no signs of clearing, and an equally stubborn Damson wine, also from August. I have a Pumpkin wine maturing and an exotic (made from an Aldi exotic fruit blend) wine that has more sediment than our local beach, which I'm scared to rack because I doubt there will be much wine left. There is a kit elderflower, to which I have added the kit finings. There is a wine#1, that was very cloudy, I added Kwick Clear this evening and it was crystal in a few hours; I actually cheered so impressed was I. Especially as when I added Kwick Clear to my damson wine it just seemed to add fluffy sediment and not clear. I have a wine #2 with just red grape juice stabilised and waiting to have the living bejeezus shook out of it tomorrow. Finally, just finishing their fermenting is a wine #4, as per instructions, and a Chilli wine with a kick like an enhanced cyborg mule on steroids after a power pill. It is HOT!

They are all one gallon, still working my up to my five gallon beast.

Comment

• Topping and sulphiting barrels today... and doing a little tasting along the way.
                          Steve

Comment

• Finally bottled no 1 pineapple variant. Cheeky shlurp left over. Mmmm

Comment

• Lots of racking, the Beaverdale Muscadet (fermented with Gervin D ) is at SG1000 and we'll get that off the sediment. A white wine number one that I added finings to last night has dumped about half an inch of sediment this morning that will need to be racked off (a cloudy apple juice probably caused that). A Wine number 2 racked off and a little more red grape juice as its not sweet enough. A wine number one recipe from here with a late raspberry addition to rack off and sweeten a little (I have red grape juice and will use that). It's a very vivid pink! A Kenridge classic Pinot to rack off this has been very slow to clear but we'll get it off the sediment all the same. And finaly a Coopers Canadian Blonde into the bucket with the little bottler ready to bottle in a few days time.
                              Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

• Originally posted by RTPFUN View Post
                                A wine number one recipe from here with a late raspberry addition to rack off and sweeten a little (I have red grape juice and will use that).
                                How much rasberry did you use? Fresh or tinned?

Comment

Working...
                                X