Chilli Vodka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilli Vodka

Ok for Christmas we are handing out wines, sloe gin and flavoured vodka's. Aren't my relatives lucky!!!

However we made some chilli vodka, its super hot, up there with Tabasco Sauce, maybe hotter!

I remember reading some people were into making their own hot sauce. Now I reckon if I mix half of the super hot vodka with unadulterated vodka I may have some hot but drinkable flavoured vodka.

That still leaves half a bottle of stinging, hot, sweaty vodka that should be used. Any ideas you chilli buffs as to what I can convert this into and how?

Many thanks,

Dan.
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well

Keep it for games of spoof.... and give the looser a double shot... went to a party couple of months back and they had picked onions that turned you white with pain, you knew they were hot but you just had to see how hot....

worth buying a jar and not for the faint hearted

Comment

if you find tabasco hot but could handle hotter then get yourself some birds-eye chillies. want more heat AND a whole heap of flavour too then scotch bonnets. want hotter then some nutter will sonn come along and tell you about nagas and the like. I love tabasco for a delicious zing, but for heat i go elsewhere otherwise our whole food budget would go on tabasco.

but you have got me wondering about the vodka tho. i have half a bottle left after doing a mint vodka. what chillies did you use? if its similar heat to tabasco i think i could drink that and enjoy it. tho usually my range for chilli doesn't extend beyond the usual, but this sounds intriguing. (my better half buys chilli chocolate when she doesn't want me to eat it all up when she is in bed)
      To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
      A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

haha, forgot about your question ... ooops, blame the homebrew!

how about using it for a flambee action with spicey foods. thinking particularly cuts of meat/fish/shellfish getting a quick fry with spices, or after a marinade? Many spices do well in the presence of oil as water doesnt get the best out of them, so alcohol may do a good job too. As far as solvents go alcohol kinda fits between water and oil, and theres plenty of water in vodka. i have never been much of a flambee person so cant pass on any useful experience. but if you're up for experimenting (and have a fire blanket ) then you could have some fun.
        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Originally posted by wipka84 View Post
          we made some chilli vodka, its super hot

steam and ears jump to mind
          “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
          Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary
            hmmm!, Sorbet, 2pts water + 4lb sugar, cook to syrup, add grated zest and juice of 4 lemons (or 500ml passata 1 tsp celery salt 2 tbs worcester sce, for "Bloody Sorbet"), cool, whip 5oz eggwhites stiff pour on while whisking 1/2pt of the syrup that is boiling hot, whisk till cool, fold syrup, m'rang and 1/4 pt of chilli vodka together, freeze, you may need to mix occasionally to prevent the formation of large ice crystals, if you get coarse ice crystals!, just tell people it's "Granita"
            Ha ha! nice recipe..........

but further to wipka84's original comment, what you've discovered is that the capsaicin in the chilli happens to be a fatty alkaloid that is very easily dissolved in alcohol - 40% vodka does an excellent job.

So, it's a case of either diluting the rest for further gifts later, the other suggestions here, or even adding more chilli and extracting the capsaicin and then reducing it down at a gentle simmer to evaporate off the alcohol and using the resulting extract in food recipes in place of chilli or as a "splashing sauce" like tobasco......

S'up to you......

just my 2 pence worth.....

regards

jtfb
            Last edited by fatbloke; 22-11-2009, 03:29 PM.
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary
              "her"?, whatever!, "tobasco"!!!, no pardon!! "Tabasco", ok if'n you is a softie what is likin dis easy tastin sauce, fine!, get you some Dorset Naga chilli if you got no Scotch Bonnet!!, soak im down in a lickle rice wine vinegar wit a touch of garlic an sum garlic, mebe a lickle ginger, mash im up good!!!, let im soak 2-3 month an see what you get!!!, now that was Granny's recipe!, this boy is not going to argue!, Granny know's best.
              garlic and some more garlic, my minda cook. but i still prefer bonnets to nagas for the flavour ;-)
              Last edited by ms67; 22-11-2009, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ms67 View Post
                garlic and some more garlic, my minda cook. but i still prefer bonnets to nagas for the flavour ;-)
                Nah! if you want chilli with "testicles" then it's gotta be either Dorset Naga or Bhut Jolokia

regards

Mr A.C. Idiot
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                  Nah! if you want chilli with "testicles" then it's gotta be either Dorset Naga or Bhut Jolokia

regards

Mr A.C. Idiot
                  chilli and testicles ... sounds like a two things that shouldn't be combined to me

Comment

wince
                    “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                    Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                    X