What was on your xmas table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was on your xmas table

Having exchanged a pm or two i wondered if others would like to share their menu's

we managed to cook, eat and drink without passing out early in the evening this year - unlike last year - and hence erasing our memories of xmas foodie stuff that we had great pleasure preparing!

Breakfast was buckwheat and goats milk pancakes with mince, honey (manuka and eucalyptus), lemon juice, cranberries in combos that made each of us happy.

we then slobbed about a bit before getting into to the kitchen whereupon we rolled up some fillets of salmon and sea bass with lemon zest, oregano and garlic butter to accompany the traditional selection of roast veggies etc ... Shiraz rose frizz accompanied us and was followed by xmas pud and brandy butter; grand marnier and 6 year old port was then sipped. Shropshire blue 'n' whisky (gift that came from fortnum and mason - my first sample of their fayre) - was the late night nibbles.

so was yours a traditional table or something a bit different?
    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

We had our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve this year. Normally we have about a dozen family members, but had to cancel because of the weather. So it was just my wife and daughter.

Dinner consisted of horseradish crusted prime rib, served medium rare with wine reduction. Side dishes were mash & gravy, creamed pearl onions, caramelized brussel sprouts with bacon, cranberries, and pecans. For dessert we had Amaretto cheesecake. Dinner was served with a bottle of my 2007 Sonoma County Pinot Noir.
    Steve

Comment

I'm normally banned from the kitchen, but in the morning some cheese muffins with bacon appeared

After I came back from the pub, some roast beef, roast turkey, roast carrots and some other stuff was presented to me. It seemed rude not to eat it, and jolly nice it was too
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

some good variety going on here so far, sounds like us brewers are also foodies!
        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

beef, lamb, turkey and ham with boiled potatoes, roasties, parsnips, carrot and turnip, sprouts, broccoli, stuffing, yorkshire pudding, pigs in blankets, gravy, Christmas pudding and ice cream; and, of course, the cranberry and blueberry wine. A veritable feast was had by all.
          “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
          Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by wisp View Post
            beef, lamb, turkey and ham
            i thought you were going to do your entire menu in verse after that start

Comment

Now why didn't I think of that?
              “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
              Groucho Marx

Comment

I know I'm a bit late, but I've just finally returned.
                Our Christmas dinner consisted of holubky and for the sissies we had penne with meatballs. Day 2: Sour mushroom soup with pagachi. Day 3: Ham, added to all the leftovers. Day 4: Ham, kielbassa, cheesy potatoes, superb baked beans, sweet potatos and a wonderful cranberry mousse, followed by chocolate pie for desert. What a wonderful time of year.
                Hootus est

Comment

Sounds wonderful, and I'm definitely not a sissy when it comes to holubky.
                  Steve

Comment

what's holukby? and no worries re being late, lets continue it with new year's festive feasts

Comment

Holubky is stuffed cabbage rolls

see here

N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Mmmmmm.... stuffed cabbage.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by ms67 View Post
                          what's holukby? and no worries re being late, lets continue it with new year's festive feasts
                          I am working an early shift on New Years day.....
                          And we are having cooked brekkie... (for 20 odd ish )

This will consist of...
                          Egg
                          Bacon
                          Potato scone
                          Black pudding
                          Mushrooms
                          Beans
                          Square sausage
                          Tomatoes....
                          Oh... and some bread and butter...or toast if they wish

I normally cook... or help

I might suggest OJ for drinks... to make it 3 of the 5 a day
                          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Sounds yummy....

but of course the drink for New Years Morn is Irn Bru.......(with two asprin)

the chosen drink of sporting champions

(it also helps clear up the hangover caused by sleeping the night before)
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

spritzer you are just one slice of fried bread away from perfection or is that a heart attack i see?
                              everything on our table apart from the turky breast came from the allotment this year, carrots, parsnips,spuds, cabbage, spinach, brussels, sound very eco does it not , shame realy it was because we are skint so we could not afford to buy them , ha ha ha,

tasted great tho

saved a few pennies and we went into town , birmingham have a germany xmas market each year, and me a german food have a realy big love affair, so we managed to have a brockworst, each lovely stuff, just got to save up for the next 200 and as for the stollen that needs to be deliverd by the 100 wieght, yum
                              Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

Working...
                              X