General tidy up and rethink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General tidy up and rethink

Having reviewed the general chit chat area, I feel (as do others) that there are too many non winmemaking threads that don't really add much to the forum by way of content, and lead members into nonsensical input.

I appreciate that they add some diversion and a deal of fun, however there are too many and so i have trimmed them back to just a couple. they are still available if everyone wants them back. However some of these threads have become troublesome, with forum rules being broken regularly, particularly in terms of circumventing the swear filter. Whilst I dont want to be laying down a lot of rules, the rules on swearing, politics, religion and sex are clear........they simply have no place on this forum.

I hope you all understand my reasoning on this. I am happy to hear requests for any of these threads to be reinstated.

Perhaps I am out of step on this but i dont think so, i feel that we should be conducting ourselves as though we were in mixed company, in someone elses living space (for that is indeed the situation)

If you need to alter a letter of a word to make it appear, or add a full stop or whatever......you are not meant to be using that word.

Although I don't post every day, I am online several times a day always, attending to admin duties like deleting spammers (12,000 of them so far) organising wine swaps VWC competitions, preparing tutorials etc. (just in case you thought I was AWOL)

I do have a great team of moderators who gelp me run the place, but i would ask you all to try to make thier lives easier, by obeying these simple rules.... no swearing, no religion, no politics, no sex. Please also remember that it isnt a place for anyone to vent their spleen, its a winemaking forum, not anyones personal blog space, I fear that this kind of posting drives winemaking members away.

I am going to start taking a much firmer line in the future in regard to this, which will lead to infractions, suspensions and permanent bans for repeat offenders.

I thank you for your forebearance in this regard, and would ask that if you have any issues with this or any other matter, please feel free to PM me.

regards
    bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 28-12-2009, 04:57 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Well, its your house Bob.
    You set the rules.
    Simples
    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Thank you Carole

I look upon it as everyones house though, thats why i always ask everyones opinion. (but will of course if needed, as has been in the past, take appropriate action)
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Yup, spring cleaning early, needs doing in my opinion. The thing is, if you get rid of ALL the threads that contain non relevance, there will only be about 3 threads left.
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

To be honest, I don't mind at all the wine and food threads (what's going on in your winery?, what's in your glass?, Christmas dinner, etc). I even enjoy some of the games (word association is a fave). I think they have a place here. After all, all winemaking and no chit chat makes Jack a dull boy.

However, I agree completely with Bob about the personal rants, swearing, and gentleman's club talk. If that's your thing, there is a place for it: the local pub.

It is Bob's house, and we are all guests. And just like being in a good friend's house, you are expected to make yourself comfortable, but not to the point of ranting, cussing, or other boorish behavior.
          Steve

Comment

i think its a good thing. there are plenty of other forums for such things. as for religion, politics, swearing, ranting etc getting close to the line eventually leads to someone crossing it. on the other side of the coin ... Its nice to be able to discuss things that are a step away from brewing, such as anything in the kitchen or garden, cos they share many problems, solutions, skills and interests with brewing that cross over and inspire. I guess the latter types are safe to stay?
            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

absolutely fine....

its the swearing, and personal ranting/blogging and edging toward politicthat I and many others dont like
              Last edited by lockwood1956; 28-12-2009, 06:13 PM.
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

"Four Word Story" is a thread that has been removed, now I admit it did get a little out of hand at one time but I don't think there has been anything untoward of late

Soooo I have restarted it, and hope this will meet with Bob's approval
                Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

Working...
                X