Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol substitute?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...velopment.html

Alcohol substitute that avoids drunkenness and hangovers in development.

Getting a buzz, popping a pill and then driving home.

What do you think?
    “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
    Groucho Marx

Can't help but think this is pointless - on so many fronts. However I am prepared to give it a fair go - whats the recipe?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

nah! never mind, I can't even be bothered to comment.....

regards

jtfb
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I think i should try a comparision test, say one week on the wine another on the beer and a thrid on tablets, all for medical reasons of course. I am more then willing to lay down my liver for the good of the drinkers world
        Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

so to quote Frank sinatra;

When you wake up, thats the best you are gonna feel all day?

seems pointless to me, if you want the alcohol buzz......take a cab
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

i have an open mind for things like this and will keep my ears peeled for developments. As the intelligent species that we can be occasionally - i believe that we can do better with substances that alter our state of mind/consciousness/being. Part of that is being grown up legal issues, part of it is sorting out problems with addiction, overdose and loss of vital control.

Presently there are heaps of "legal highs" but they don't tempt me, perhaps because i'm too old to be in touch with 'scenes' these days. But the law is at the hub of most things in this matter. If its against the law then its in the hand of criminals/gangsters mostly (at the top of the tree) who will use the profits for whatever. If its edgey cos its new and unregulated then users are guinea pigs with no insurance. If its legal then big business controls it and the bottom line is all that counts. Homebrewing finds a nice niche but nevertheless alcohol is one dangerous baby that needs handling responsibly.

if this is too political then please feel free to delete it, i really dont have a clue if this post falls into that class. if i had doubts i wouldn't post, but seriously i just don't know.

oh, i like prof Nutt btw, not just for his name, but he is grown up!
            Last edited by ms67; 29-12-2009, 10:53 PM.
            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

From the article:
              The synthetic alcohol, being developed from chemicals related to Valium, works like alcohol on nerves in the brain that provide a feeling of wellbeing and relaxation.
              Synthetic alcohol? Developed from brain-altering chemicals related to Valium?

Um... no, thank you.
              Steve

Comment

Aside from the obvious ugh no/what's the point.

How expensive does one think these'll be?
                My guess is they're a marketing companies dream and will likely have a price tag to match.

No ta.
                With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Wonderful, so we can't get merry on a natural source any more ? Valium, prozac etc etc is now the deal ? ok maybe others.
                  Nah make do with me hangover, at least it is a reminder when I drink too much.

Strange isn't it, and please trust me I don't wan't to make this into a 'drugs rant' how a natural drug & herb such as cannabis, is so illigal, and other artifitial mind altering substances are openly given on prescription, and presumed to be safe ??
                  Discount Home Brew Supplies
                  Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                  Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                    Strange isn't it, and please trust me I don't wan't to make this into a 'drugs rant' how a natural drug & herb such as cannabis, is so illigal, and other artifitial mind altering substances are openly given on prescription, and presumed to be safe ??
                    you could rant with me in pms if you like tho i guess we would just be swapping similar rants .... valerian, poppies blah blah blah, all mild stuff compared to alcohol and big pharm products (which pull out one component - perhaps modify it too - and then leave the check and balance components behind and so introduce previously non existent side effects). i like mama nature.
                    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Sorry but I only see this as a good thing. Bearing in mind all the teenage Binge drinking that is now throughout this country it would be great to know that if this was used in alcopops the kids would have a good time without wanting to stab each other afterwards.
                      I have 2 kids and am dreading the time when there old enough to go out clubbing/drinking/whatever. This may be an answer to a safer night. As such I hope they research it properly and if found to be safe roll it out.
                      Also I cant see how it effects the winemaking hobby as I doubt anyone here will be stopping putting Yeast and sugar in their recipes no matter how good they get the flavour of this stuff

Comment

tablets are not my thing so it would not interest me, thinking about it practicly there is a couple of short commings,

sosical drinking when I used to spend several very happy hours talking to people in the pub, whats the modern equivilent even george how are you pass my tablets night night all,

women????
                        how much of a tablet do i need for dutch courage???

and whats the tablet equivilent of beer googles, if it was not for alcohol alot of ugly people me included would not have had sex by now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary
                          will unscrupulous persons be cutting the booze pills with ajax, milk powder baby's talcum powder?
                          one of the many good reasons for legalising and regulating anything that alters consciousness. once upon a time even coffee and chocolate were cut. if something seems like a good idea then research it, develop it, test it, test it more, get it right, legalise and regulate, hey presto you have a source of honest income for heaps of folks. Don't make criminals out of folk who are doing what folk have done since time without harming others. And don't give criminals another way to make money for all sorts of dodgey ends by showing them another highly lucrative illegal activity to exploit.

Comment

Well, the Telegraph article is quite comical. I was going to have a good rant, but I won't because I'm sure this post will be deleted soon anyway
                            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I'd also like to note his name "Professor Nutt"...

The last time I had diazipam/Valium was when I couldn't move with the agony I was in with a broken back. It stopped the pain but I still couldn't move as every time I did it felt like I was on a ship in the Atlantic in a storm!!!

Some people are very sensitive to things like this too, whilst it may suit some it may stop other people from being able to drink all together...

Not been very well thought through IMHO. Great money maker for the pharmaceutical industry and for all the tax levied on the recovered ethanol for Inland Revenue...

I wonder which side this guy is really sat on???
                              ex ovo omnia
                              Chemist, welder, homebrewer

Comment

Working...
                              X