Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer batter for fish

A quick non-winemaking question...

I'm frying up a mess of smelt tonight and want to make a beer batter. In the fridge I have dark ale and pilsner. Which would be better in the batter?
    Steve

I would think....the pilsner (being lighter) might be better?
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

That's what I would've thought as well. But upon researching recipes, I'm finding quite a few that call for dark beers, or even stout.

Can you tell I don't fry a lot of fish?
      Steve

Comment

its the co2 that makes good batter so pilsner. as would make lighter batter
        http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
        http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Cheers guys. Pilsner it is.
          Steve

Comment

It came out fabulous. One piece of advice I came across on the internet was to let the batter "rest" for about an hour at room temperature under cellophane cling wrap. So I did. When I removed the wrap, the batter had a nice yeasty bread odor, and bubbles. Obviously the bubbles lightened up the crust.

I couldn't find the thermometer, so it took a few trials to get the temperature to the point where it wasn't cooking too fast or slow.

But other than a little too much salt (my mistake), it was very good.
            Steve

Comment

Good tip - thanks.
              Steve

Comment

fantastic tip
                “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                Groucho Marx

Comment

Glad it worked out Steve... I would have said the pilsner too
                  If you had any left over batter, you could have tried the Scottish delicacy (on Burns night too !!) of deep fried Mars bar
                  Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Eek!

I think that's one delicacy I'd best avoid. I can feel my arteries constricting at the mere mention of it.
                    Steve

Comment

I don't blame you NW. I don't think I'd dare look at one never mind eat one . I have friends, however, who have eaten them [deep fried Mars Bars] and think that they are delicious and swear by them.

I think you and Bob should produce a deep fried Mars Bar wine . What do you think?
                      Groucho Marx

Comment

I have no doubt that a fried candy bar is delicious. We actually do our own version, except it's made using a "Snickers" bar, which I'm guessing is more common in the US. I don't eat those either, though.

Fried candy sounds far more delicious than another local Minnesota delicacy: lutefisk, which is a horrid, preserved fish.

Yes, we have a large population of descendants of Scandinavian heritage and, from what I understand, we consume more lutefisk per capita than native Scandinavians.

If you're unfamiliar with it, here is the lowdown:

Lutefisk wine perhaps? Double eek.

As far as Scottish delicacies go, I do like Scotch eggs, and even Haggis.
                        Steve

Comment

Hmm... I guess Scotch Eggs are not really "Scotch," but rather an English invention. No matter. They are still tasty. Especially slathered with some good mustard.

By the way, I found a funny video that explains Scotch Eggs...
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary
                            or with your good mustard!, how about Gala Pie, a long pork pie with eggs down the center

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I'll have a slice of that pie OB With whole grain mustard please
                              Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                              X