X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast - is this true?

I came across the following text at

http://www.thewinepages.org.uk/yeast.htm

'Now you have some living yeast, you don't really have an excuse to buy any more, unless that is you want to try a different variety. Every time you start a new bucket of must, just slosh half a cup of fermenting wine into the must to provide some yeast'

I have read elsewhere, too, that yeast can be grown and kept.

Are these things true and if so, could someone explain the step by step process to me [in easy English - remember, I'm thick! ] or point me to a 'never having to buy yeast again for idiots' site.

I would be most grateful for any help you can give as I just keep on buying the stuff and I really am eager to learn.
    “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
    Groucho Marx

I make up a yeast starter in a wine bottle, using 250ml warm water, 6 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp Tronzymol, 1/4 tsp acid. (all approx amounts)

Shake until sugar has dissolved then add the yeast. once that has definitely started fermenting, about 10 to 30 mins later I add a bit of grape juice to about halfway on the bottle.

I then get on with sorting out my must for the wine. By now you should have an active ferment in your starter bottle. (1hr + of making it) I add half of that to the wine must. Then the other half you can add a little bit of water and some more sugar, or a bit more grape juice. I store mine in the fridge door with some kitchen roll in the top of the bottle.

I've read in older books about people doing this for ages, and never buying yeast again. It would only take the starter bottle to be infected though and that would be all your wine ruined. I only do this if I'm making a lot in a short time. At £1 a sachet of yeast is it worth risking?

Hope that helps..

Comment

i often wonder how it takes for you to end up with a very different strain(s) of yeast to what you started off with. anyone know?

and does anyone know the lifetime of a single yeast - assuming good conditions of course.
      To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
      A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary
        as for how long will yeast keep going?, as far as I'm aware, forever if fed and watered and the nasty toxic alcohol is removed to a safe place
        i dont believe that the secret to immortality lies within yeast. i don't believe that a single yeast organism is immortal or has the potential for immortality. i guess you are with me on this one, so its likely that you misread my question, or i mistyped it.

i'll try to be more helpfully descriptive. if we peered down a microscope to look at a yeast colony, and were able to separate one individual member of that colony, and isolate it, feed it, keep it warm etc (environment like we brewers use to keep our yeasts happy), then how long would we expect it to live for? of course it would have to be done many times for statistical relevence blah blah blah. but i guess someone knows? even a ball park figure?
        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Originally posted by wisp View Post
          I would be most grateful for any help you can give as I just keep on buying the stuff and I really am eager to learn.
          see here

All you ever needed to know about yeast starters Extract from Progressive Winemaking Peter Duncan and Bryan Acton Yeast starters are very easy to prepare and no difficulties should be encountered if the following directions are observed. A wine bottle is first sterilised with the stock (10%) sulphite solution mentioned in

Always check the tutorial section first, there is tons of technical info in there.....
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

It does freeze very well in pet bottles. I keep some in the freezer for emergencies.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              see here

All you ever needed to know about yeast starters Extract from Progressive Winemaking Peter Duncan and Bryan Acton Yeast starters are very easy to prepare and no difficulties should be encountered if the following directions are observed. A wine bottle is first sterilised with the stock (10%) sulphite solution mentioned in

Always check the tutorial section first, there is tons of technical info in there.....
              The problem is Bob, that my eyes struggle and that's why I asked for sign posts to an appropraiate site/page. I did put the word yeast into 'search', but it did not produce any appropriate results.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Thanks, too,everyone for your comments. It seems to be an interesting discussion.
              Groucho Marx

Comment

cheers for the info OB

Comment

Just like to take this opportunity to thank you guys for your input, guidence and sign-posting. I've learnt a lot and have moved on. I'm so grateful.

Cheers,

Wisp

aka Richard
                  Groucho Marx

Comment

I've already saved £1.20 plus p&p
                    Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                    X