Antique french wine bottles..latin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique french wine bottles..latin?

Can anyone translate latin? I've tried the online translation tools but they don't seem to quite get it.

I have been given an antique french wine bottle/decanter. On it is stamped...

BONUM VINUM LæTIFICAT COR HOMINIS

Any idea what this means?
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

I think it means 'Good wine gladdens a man's/person's heart'

But do remember it's 40 years since I've done Latin
    Last edited by wisp; 21-02-2010, 10:03 PM.
    “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
    Groucho Marx

Comment

What does that mean OB? I believe the bottle to be very genuine, given to me by a french antiques dealer. Will have to ask her but I expect 100 + years old.

Comment

Genuine wine made by man bonum being plural of bona fide ( i made you made we made...they made)...(lartifact meaning article.......)

I "think"
        the phrase means made and bottled on site....or.....genuine article
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 21-02-2010, 10:47 PM.
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary
          I believe this should read "bonus vinum leto animus", your artifact being old and French the Latin could be dodgy!!, are we talking something over 200 years, more or less?, Latin tags are very often mangled, Spooner/Malaprop et al
          if that was what it was "meant " to read....thats what it would have said!
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I believe this should read "bonus vinum leto animus",
            animas would indicate how many years....and no mention was made of that..........stop trying to appear clever
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I would read it as:
              wine grown and bottled en chateau (honest wine grown and bottled at home)
              Last edited by lockwood1956; 21-02-2010, 11:01 PM.
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

here you go.....with my limited Grammar School Latin........and love of search engines:

bon.um N 2 1 ACC S M
                bonus, boni N (2nd) M [XXXCO]
                good/moral/honest/brave man; man of honor, gentleman; better/rich people (pl.);
                bon.um N 2 2 NOM S N
                bon.um N 2 2 VOC S N
                bon.um N 2 2 ACC S N
                bonum, boni N (2nd) N [XXXAO]
                good, good thing, profit, advantage; goods (pl.), possessions, wealth, estate;
                bon.um ADJ 1 1 NOM S N POS
                bon.um ADJ 1 1 VOC S N POS
                bon.um ADJ 1 1 ACC S M POS
                bon.um ADJ 1 1 ACC S N POS
                bonus, bona -um, melior -or -us, optimus -a -um ADJ [XXXAO]
                good, honest, brave, noble, kind, pleasant, right, useful; valid; healthy;
                vin.um N 2 2 NOM S N
                vin.um N 2 2 VOC S N
                vin.um N 2 2 ACC S N
                vinum, vini N (2nd) N [XXXAX]
                wine;
                l N 9 8 X X M
                L., abb. N M [XXXDX] lesser
                Lucius (Roman praenomen); (abb. L.);
                L NUM 2 0 X X X CARD
                50 as a ROMAN NUMERAL;

TIFICAT N 0 0 X X X
                Assume this is capitalized proper name/abbr, under MODE IGNORE_UNKNOWN_CAPS

cor N 3 2 NOM S N
                cor N 3 2 VOC S N
                cor N 3 2 ACC S N
                cor, cordis N (3rd) N [XXXAO]
                heart; mind/soul/spirit; intellect/judgment; sweetheart; souls/persons (pl.);

homin.is N 3 1 GEN S M
                homo, hominis N (3rd) M [XXXAX]
                man, human being, person, fellow; [novus homo => nouveau riche];
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

the last post is FAARRRRRRR over my head without explanation, perhaps that's a modern comprihensif educshun for you

Comment

interesting
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

The one thing I have tried hard to do since forming this forum is to not try to be smart arseish (is that a word?)

you constantly push the limits here via posts and PM's and you have received warnings via PM to such an effect........ and I have to tell you in open forum....I'm totally tired of it....this is not your personal blog space, it is paid for by me, and it is for the education and enlightenment of winemakers, (you AND me) and not a place where you can show up under the influence and drive the agenda!

shape up or ship out!!!!!!!!
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

If we are going to get into trying to look clever!, look no further Sir!, who just had to post a great list of latin grammar'y stuff that no-one but a public school boy would even have a clue what it means,

I was forced to take Latin at school..........

and my list of Latin stuff was merely to show my methodology of thinking to arrive at my conclusion....not to try and look clever............
                        i have never at any point since the launch of this forum tried (I may have done but it was always unintentional).............to look clever..........and it TRULY offends me that you accuse me thus
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

ok

I'm obviously feeling a tad stressed by this.....so I'm off to bed....goodnight all
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

gosh its stressy in here! so in the interests of doing nothing more than adding a little humour i'll tell a story....

back in the day i too was forced to do latin, and i HATED it. All the talk of how it was good mental exercise and good for learning languages did precisely nothing for my enthusiasm. i was told very many years later that all words ending in "tion" in english are the same in spanish. this boosted my spanish vocab by many 100's of %, and i dont give a fig is thats because its due to a latin root, because ultimately its because i have a good english vocab. anyway, back to the story .... a year before taking 'O' levels we did our mocks and our main latin teacher wrote the translation/comprehension story. it was about the royal marriage of prince charles and lady diana (gives my age away a little). i, with my enormous grasp of latin, translated this as a fictional account of a battle between a boudicca like queen and a foreign prince!!!! well i was always better at prophecy than latin! so i failed the exam, with distinction, and was booted of the course as a very rare no-hoper. (caloo calay as lewis carrol would say - rhyme intended) and put on the no hopers course that taught a kind of historical analysis of the roman empire. i went on to score 10 "O" levels, 4 grade a, 3 grade b and 3 grade c ... and i very seriously doubt that latin had anything to do with the clutch or the grades!

and the moral of the story is ..... diddley squat! latin tells you nowt about anything really, but can be very mildly entertaining at dinner parties when the company is a dull as dishwater .... but even then you have to talk a lot about homebrew before latin becomes more interesting!

and Bob, you do a fantastic job of not being smart-arseish, and i mean that whole heartedly and genuinely. it is possibly the most important thing about what makes this forum the great place that it is. Thats not to downplay the great team you have helping mod/admin either as they maintain the tone too.
                            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

A quick Google seems to indicate it means "Good wine gladdens a person's heart"

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X