Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrrrgghhh!

Tons of racking today......

filled a 54 litre DJ, moved it to other side of winery, as I turned to walk away, heard a crack!

looked back to see 12 gallons of wine gush out of the side of the DJ (well I managed to save about 2 or 3 gals out of the 12 as the hole that appeared wasn't right at the bottom)

an Oak cube had lodged at the side of the DJ (totally my fault for being messy and careless, and as the DJ sat against it, it cracked spilling my lovely 2009 Merlot everywhere

not a happy bunny, and words just cannot describe how I feel...but I did use quite a lot of words at the time
    Attached Files
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Sad times Pity you didn't have a straw!
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Comment

Oh my lordy! Sorry to hear about this Bob. While not my wine or mess, I still can feel the pain of a labor of love going down the drain (quite literally).
      Steve

Comment

The more I think about it, the basket sides are plastic...surely they would "give"

I recently purchased this 54 litre DJ from ebay....maybe it was already flawed

either way...9 or 10 gallons of Merlot are gone
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I feel you pain Bob. While the best for storage glass is so fragile. The Demi John is even more so than the carboy thinner wall glass. I lost a couple of carboys but never a demi john. I was extreamly lucky as I had already transferred and was cleaning so sad.
          http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Sorry to hear that Bob
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

So sorry. 2009 Merlot - blimey. I have had this with a grain of sand!! The DJ's are at their weekest where they are widest.

You can test them. Blow into them, when you release the should 'ring'. I have had should some that don't and I have had them crack during testing.

Another tip is to silicone up any holes in the plastic basket - at least something is recoverable.

I don't know which is worse losing the wine or having to empty the cellar to clean up the mess.

Not a good day...............
              Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 02-08-2010, 07:56 AM.
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Would you like me to start an appeal for you? We could all send a bottle to cheer you up. Fancy some Quince??? LOLOL

Joking aside I really do feel for you (((((((BOB)))))
                Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

Comment

Working...
                X